Author Topic: Why was 1.2.1 good?  (Read 6347 times)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Why was 1.2.1 good?
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:20:08 am »
I did hear from long time ago that some people said that 1.2.1 was one of the best versions. Why is that so?

Offline Snow

• Camper
Re: Why was 1.2.1 good?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:08 am »
Better weapons and weapon balance. For instance, the minigun was actually usable. This is why I liked it anyway. There were many reasons, I'm sure.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:34:59 am »
I hated 1.2.1, way too overpowered. People just think its cool because a lot of people nowadays started in it.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:48:08 am »
1.2.1 had cookies.

And apparently a good balance and not too many bugs.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 11:50:05 am »
in my opinion 1.2.1 had a way better netcode, or atleast almost all bullets regged. then 1.3 came, everyone ate and I partly quit soldat, then 1.3.1, which was aswell a fail and I wouldn't start playing. now when 1.4 came I started to play, but still it's way too weak netcode.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 12:25:17 pm »
the netcode has done nothing but improve with each version

1.2.1 wasn't really that good, i think the current version is easily the best one

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 12:58:32 pm »
I likes 1.3 most of all. Maybe it was the 0 startup on the barret or that the aug was better. Anyway i was better in 1.3. Wierd that..
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 01:06:27 pm »
I'm not sure if it was better than it is now, but it certinaly has a nostalgic 'back in the day' quality to it.

*I started Soldat in 1.2.1

*Autos didn't have self-bink

*Barrett had no delay, which meant epic (though kinda lame) camping.

*Gameplay was generaly faster.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:09:51 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 01:47:54 pm »

1.2.1 wasn't really that good, i think the current version is easily the best one

well, I tried 1.2.1 like half a year ago again. for me the regging was a lot better, and less warping. had a 200 ping on one server, noticed no warpings or eats.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 01:55:19 pm »

Back then some of the biggest glitches were weird  stat gun placement, now with battle eye and all these new features the netcode shows it's true colors when before it was "good enough"

Aside from the barret (yes, barret) having no startup time, the balance was fantastic.

there were no weapon mods, no scripts, Everyone played CTF, most in normal mode, you used to just blindly pick a server and be ok with it. Not so much now.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 02:09:47 pm »
Yeah. Totaly agree on that. Either i were less caring about server qualety or they have decreased in qualety..
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 03:16:02 pm »
1.2.1 had a fast-paced gameplay, and all weapons were really powerful...
It was just a plain fun to play.

Offline Misio

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »
Now skill is needed to win, and weak players just hate harder version.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »
I'm not sure if it was better than it is now, but it certinaly has a nostalgic 'back in the day' quality to it.

*I started Soldat in 1.2.1

*Autos didn't have self-bink

*Barrett had no delay, which meant epic (though kinda lame) camping.

*Gameplay was generaly faster.
Exactly why I like it.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 04:40:01 pm »
Back in the days when Soldat had an arcadey and unrealistic quality to it, weapons weren't as realistic as we'd like to believe it is now.

Back in the days, gameplay was faster possibly because of the fact that people didn't spend the majority of their time reloading after a rather unsuccessful spraying.

Oh man, the AK would have been epic. It's just a shame that I started Soldat in 1.3.1. What I've just said was a educated guess.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 06:16:08 pm »
Back in the days when Soldat had an arcadey and unrealistic quality to it, weapons weren't as realistic as we'd like to believe it is now.

Back in the days, gameplay was faster possibly because of the fact that people didn't spend the majority of their time reloading after a rather unsuccessful spraying.

Oh man, the AK would have been epic. It's just a shame that I started Soldat in 1.3.1. What I've just said was a educated guess.
Shut the hell up. The only thing thats changed out of any of that is it did get slower and back in the day the spraying was way more successful.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 12:30:27 am »
So, some players consider 1.2.1 one of the better versions because:

1. Everything was so powered that it was actually, strangely, balanced, and all weapons were actually usable.
2. At that time the bullet register was pretty good, compared to now which is not as effective.
3. Gameplay was actually faster compared to now due to the powerful weapons
4. The typical "good old days" , when everyone was less of a complainer, more friendly, every room was okay, etc.

At the same time, some players did not like 1.2.1 because the weapons were simply too overpowered. And of course, the Barrett that time was way too powerful.

Am I right?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:32:12 am by STM1993 »

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 03:38:20 am »
[1.2.1 + backflip] - homo future version changes = FUNNER THAN MARIOKART 64

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 04:42:10 am »
there were no weapon mods, no scripts, Everyone played CTF, most in normal mode, you used to just blindly pick a server and be ok with it. Not so much now.

That. Plus it was a stable version, the balance only reeked in clan wars, but it was still lots of fun to play. Then again, a lot of people like it now because they started at 1.2.1, and the magic of first always applies.

Also, anyone remember the doom-prophecies we've held about the weapon editor, how it would kill traditional ctf and servers would go amock with lots of weapon mods? Who would've thought that in the end it's going to be scripting which fulfills our darkest visions.

*goes back to his quakenet haven

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 05:01:16 am »
Hmm, and so some players also consider 1.2.1 the best because there wasn't any modding, so there was no chance one could ever find some server with funny weapon mods. Hey, I would have liked that. Okay I'll also take that in mind. And that was the first time backflip was invented therefore everyone was like so excited over it?

Off topic:
Modding is really fun and useful actually. Those scripts could have been used to act as some stuff like /rules and all that and yet retain the traditional game. As for weapon modding, I think it was actually a good implement, since now we CAN look at how the weapons are in each version, compare, make our own tweaks and test them out and then suggest the weapon to be modified as such in future versions. It is just that some people prefer to use these scripts and weapon modding to change the whole traditional system of Soldat.