Author Topic: Why was 1.2.1 good?  (Read 6342 times)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Why was 1.2.1 good?
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:20:08 am »
I did hear from long time ago that some people said that 1.2.1 was one of the best versions. Why is that so?

Offline Snow

• Camper
Re: Why was 1.2.1 good?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:08 am »
Better weapons and weapon balance. For instance, the minigun was actually usable. This is why I liked it anyway. There were many reasons, I'm sure.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:34:59 am »
I hated 1.2.1, way too overpowered. People just think its cool because a lot of people nowadays started in it.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:48:08 am »
1.2.1 had cookies.

And apparently a good balance and not too many bugs.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 11:50:05 am »
in my opinion 1.2.1 had a way better netcode, or atleast almost all bullets regged. then 1.3 came, everyone ate and I partly quit soldat, then 1.3.1, which was aswell a fail and I wouldn't start playing. now when 1.4 came I started to play, but still it's way too weak netcode.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 12:25:17 pm »
the netcode has done nothing but improve with each version

1.2.1 wasn't really that good, i think the current version is easily the best one

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 12:58:32 pm »
I likes 1.3 most of all. Maybe it was the 0 startup on the barret or that the aug was better. Anyway i was better in 1.3. Wierd that..
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 01:06:27 pm »
I'm not sure if it was better than it is now, but it certinaly has a nostalgic 'back in the day' quality to it.

*I started Soldat in 1.2.1

*Autos didn't have self-bink

*Barrett had no delay, which meant epic (though kinda lame) camping.

*Gameplay was generaly faster.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:09:51 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 01:47:54 pm »

1.2.1 wasn't really that good, i think the current version is easily the best one

well, I tried 1.2.1 like half a year ago again. for me the regging was a lot better, and less warping. had a 200 ping on one server, noticed no warpings or eats.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 01:55:19 pm »

Back then some of the biggest glitches were weird  stat gun placement, now with battle eye and all these new features the netcode shows it's true colors when before it was "good enough"

Aside from the barret (yes, barret) having no startup time, the balance was fantastic.

there were no weapon mods, no scripts, Everyone played CTF, most in normal mode, you used to just blindly pick a server and be ok with it. Not so much now.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 02:09:47 pm »
Yeah. Totaly agree on that. Either i were less caring about server qualety or they have decreased in qualety..
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 03:16:02 pm »
1.2.1 had a fast-paced gameplay, and all weapons were really powerful...
It was just a plain fun to play.

Offline Misio

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »
Now skill is needed to win, and weak players just hate harder version.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »
I'm not sure if it was better than it is now, but it certinaly has a nostalgic 'back in the day' quality to it.

*I started Soldat in 1.2.1

*Autos didn't have self-bink

*Barrett had no delay, which meant epic (though kinda lame) camping.

*Gameplay was generaly faster.
Exactly why I like it.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 04:40:01 pm »
Back in the days when Soldat had an arcadey and unrealistic quality to it, weapons weren't as realistic as we'd like to believe it is now.

Back in the days, gameplay was faster possibly because of the fact that people didn't spend the majority of their time reloading after a rather unsuccessful spraying.

Oh man, the AK would have been epic. It's just a shame that I started Soldat in 1.3.1. What I've just said was a educated guess.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 06:16:08 pm »
Back in the days when Soldat had an arcadey and unrealistic quality to it, weapons weren't as realistic as we'd like to believe it is now.

Back in the days, gameplay was faster possibly because of the fact that people didn't spend the majority of their time reloading after a rather unsuccessful spraying.

Oh man, the AK would have been epic. It's just a shame that I started Soldat in 1.3.1. What I've just said was a educated guess.
Shut the hell up. The only thing thats changed out of any of that is it did get slower and back in the day the spraying was way more successful.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 12:30:27 am »
So, some players consider 1.2.1 one of the better versions because:

1. Everything was so powered that it was actually, strangely, balanced, and all weapons were actually usable.
2. At that time the bullet register was pretty good, compared to now which is not as effective.
3. Gameplay was actually faster compared to now due to the powerful weapons
4. The typical "good old days" , when everyone was less of a complainer, more friendly, every room was okay, etc.

At the same time, some players did not like 1.2.1 because the weapons were simply too overpowered. And of course, the Barrett that time was way too powerful.

Am I right?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:32:12 am by STM1993 »

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 03:38:20 am »
[1.2.1 + backflip] - homo future version changes = FUNNER THAN MARIOKART 64

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 04:42:10 am »
there were no weapon mods, no scripts, Everyone played CTF, most in normal mode, you used to just blindly pick a server and be ok with it. Not so much now.

That. Plus it was a stable version, the balance only reeked in clan wars, but it was still lots of fun to play. Then again, a lot of people like it now because they started at 1.2.1, and the magic of first always applies.

Also, anyone remember the doom-prophecies we've held about the weapon editor, how it would kill traditional ctf and servers would go amock with lots of weapon mods? Who would've thought that in the end it's going to be scripting which fulfills our darkest visions.

*goes back to his quakenet haven

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 05:01:16 am »
Hmm, and so some players also consider 1.2.1 the best because there wasn't any modding, so there was no chance one could ever find some server with funny weapon mods. Hey, I would have liked that. Okay I'll also take that in mind. And that was the first time backflip was invented therefore everyone was like so excited over it?

Off topic:
Modding is really fun and useful actually. Those scripts could have been used to act as some stuff like /rules and all that and yet retain the traditional game. As for weapon modding, I think it was actually a good implement, since now we CAN look at how the weapons are in each version, compare, make our own tweaks and test them out and then suggest the weapon to be modified as such in future versions. It is just that some people prefer to use these scripts and weapon modding to change the whole traditional system of Soldat.

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 06:23:51 am »
I enjoy all the versions simply because I get use to them eventually. But I did enjoy 1.2.1 the most because that's where I started and the community was more respectful back then. It seemed like those aspects of the game got worse and worse are more versions came out. The only flaw I saw was the maps back then. They were visually bad compared to the popular maps we play on now, but some of those maps inspired the lovely default maps we play on today. I guess it's not that bad.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 06:26:43 am by Crimson Goth »

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 06:44:40 am »

That. Plus it was a stable version, the balance only reeked in clan wars, but it was still lots of fun to play. Then again, a lot of people like it now because they started at 1.2.1, and the magic of first always applies.

Also, anyone remember the doom-prophecies we've held about the weapon editor, how it would kill traditional ctf and servers would go amock with lots of weapon mods? Who would've thought that in the end it's going to be scripting which fulfills our darkest visions.

*goes back to his quakenet haven

Was there really a spike in new Soldat players during 1.2.1? If so, did Soldat have somekind of web advertising or was it simply because of it being so popular?

I found Soldat 1.2.1 when my college Media technician showed it to me.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline InoX

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 07:00:45 am »
1.2.1 was really fast paced, no unregistered hits, no WM...
But there was problems also like barret really overoverpowered :/ a lot more than nowadays, and too much spray

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 09:08:03 am »
Was there really a spike in new Soldat players during 1.2.1? If so, did Soldat have somekind of web advertising or was it simply because of it being so popular?

I found Soldat 1.2.1 when my college Media technician showed it to me.

If I'm not mistaken, Soldat was once again featured in a free play article (Top 50 freeware games or something) in PC Gamer around that time and some more popular sites, so that would have helped with a few new faces and more word-of-mouth. Soldat also happened to be featured on many freeware and gaming/indie gaming sites and early blogs. That's how a friend of mine ran into Soldat when it was just months old and he in turn introduced me to the game.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 11:58:34 am »
You know something, I have been saying this for the past 3 years now because I notice it happening every time. Whenever a new version comes out, the older version automatically becomes "AWESUM" or whenever something gets changes or removed from soldat, when it was actually included that feature was "AWESUM". The funny thing here is that when that version was actually out and being played there was tremendous amounts of whine about that version sucking and the ones before that being way better.

This has happened for new version changes, new weapon balances, and new maps. The best example has to be ctf_Crashed map. When it was included in the game, literally nobody liked the map, nobody picked it in clanwars and everyone wanted to skip it when it came up in public servers. When it got removed everyone suddenly loved crash. "Omg why was crashed removed it was the best map EVUR".

I have observed this 'phenomena' since I started soldat back in 1.1.4.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline InoX

• Major(1)
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 01:24:21 pm »
I think 1.2.1 > 1.4.2 > other versions

1.4.2 is a good version imo

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 04:05:54 pm »
You know something, I have been saying this for the past 3 years now because I notice it happening every time. Whenever a new version comes out, the older version automatically becomes "AWESUM" or whenever something gets changes or removed from soldat, when it was actually included that feature was "AWESUM". The funny thing here is that when that version was actually out and being played there was tremendous amounts of whine about that version sucking and the ones before that being way better.

This has happened for new version changes, new weapon balances, and new maps. The best example has to be ctf_Crashed map. When it was included in the game, literally nobody liked the map, nobody picked it in clanwars and everyone wanted to skip it when it came up in public servers. When it got removed everyone suddenly loved crash. "Omg why was crashed removed it was the best map EVUR".

I have observed this 'phenomena' since I started soldat back in 1.1.4.
Thats total crap. I loved 1.2.1, every version since has not lived up to it. 1.3 was total garbage and 1.3.1 wasn't nearly as good as 1.2.1, 1.4 made all those horrible graphical changes and 1.4.2 just isn't up to standard.

Crashed really was awesome, it was the spray that sucked. I learned how 2 shot law there! Chernobyl was at least an interesting map, Now they all seem the same. Way to take out the variety. Also that drop down map was pretty good.

I never really had a problem with the Weapon balance, not to the extreme that some people were. I usually just schooled whoever was barrettarding by utterly destroying them with their own weapon. (or the AK) The only thing I had a problem with was that GOD DAMN KNIFE CHARGE UP TIME YOU JUST HAD TO HAVE FOR 1.3!

Offline Extacide

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 04:14:04 pm »
Actually I really did like Crashed, Poop. Newbies could never figure out how to get up to the spawn to kill the EFC. I think a revised version should be made for 1.5 with some fixes to the flaws of crashed that made it not so fun.

As for 1.2.1, I lub it with my heart and soul because it was teh only version I truly owned with desert eagles/knife. Ever since then I haven't been the same. =( The knife especially. Believe it or not I USED to be able to use a knife with proficiency. But with the delay...its all luck now. But it was the version I started in. It was fast paced and fun. The guns were retardedly strong but thats what made it fun. No one spammed grenades like they do today. The netcode wasn't actually as good as it is now though. It was simply because all of the weapons were so freaking strong they over compensated for the mis-regs.

Oh my and back then, DM's were actually plentiful. I remember all of the public DM servers I used to chill at as a newbie, aspiring to win every single one of them.

Date Posted: May 06, 2008, 05:08:31 pm
At one point lots of people played DM, mostly because there were more people back then but it was comparable to the CTF communities. Public DM did spawn some of our finest players before they transitioned to CTF. You rarely see that happen now. Oh my and the 1v1's. People weren't so stuck up with CTF like they are now. People actually 1v1'ed back then and didn't break out their 5 page essays on why 1v1 didn't prove anything. (Don't start the argument, this is how it was SO GO AWAY!) People were all so cocky and immature, you got challenged to a 1v1 left and right. I tried to 1v1 as much as possible. It was 1v1'ing that introduced me to the pro players. Now barely anyone will 1v1 me. =(

Yeah...1.2.1 was teh best.
~Heroes may come and go, but legends will never die~

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 06:25:13 pm »
Extacide and a 4-year-old, you don't have to agree with me. I simlply posted what I have observed in my long career in soldat (4.5 years now). Every version that comes out is automatically worst than the version before that (For the majority of people). Every weapon balance is worst than the one before it. When 1.2.1 came out, everyone was pissed off at spray and the effectiveness of autos, they wanted to go back to 1.1.5 (Mp5 barret domination, back then the 1.2.1 of today was 1.1.5, everyone thought 1.1.5 was the best version ever), so when we went back to barret and mp5 domination a version later, people started whining about that and saying 1.2.1 was the best.

And alot of clanplayers nowadays say "OMG CRASHED WAS THE BEST MAP EVUR WHY REMOVE IT". All im going to say is, when it was actually in the game literally nobody picked crashed and whenever someone did pick it, the other clan got pissed off.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline Extacide

• Soldier
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 08:49:19 pm »
Not sure about joo Poop but the clans I faced didnt have a problem with it. You must have been in CH - Crashed Haters. =(

Offline ElGato

• Camper
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »
Not sure about joo Poop but the clans I faced didnt have a problem with it. You must have been in CH - Crashed Haters. =(

True dat, I started in 1.2.1 and I loved crashed. The removal of crashed was the only thing I didn't like about the version changes from then to now.
[fist] Black Powa

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 11:36:21 pm »
no unregistered hits

Oh man, we didn't play the same 1.2.1 then. This has been a problem since I started playing, and 1.2.1 was hardly an exception.

As for 1.2.1, I lub it with my heart and soul because it was teh only version I truly owned with desert eagles/knife. Ever since then I haven't been the same. =( The knife especially. Believe it or not I USED to be able to use a knife with proficiency. But with the delay...its all luck now.

How does the delay make it more based on luck? I would say the opposite is true—the delay requires a bit more skill to master.

In any case, 1.2.1 was fun, undoubtedly, but I largely agree with Poop. I think that people are more attracted to the nostalgia and memories from 1.2.1 than the version itself. I downloaded 1.2.1 not so long ago, but I didn't find it nearly as appealing as I remembered it, though I'm not an ardent supporter of the version like some others around here, so maybe it's only me.

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 11:58:26 pm »
One of the reasons 1.2.1 is my favorite is not because of the weapon balance, not because of the maps, but because of the gaming environment I was in.

This was the version I started and grew accustomed to. I was just some random public player who didn't care about anything besides getting 1st in U13 public all the time. I became a regular there and that's where I found other regulars who I became friendly with. I absolutely loved just playing for long periods of time.

I started going to the clanscene into competitive play POST 1.2.1 era. The gaming was more serious than fun, there were a bunch more of cocky and arrogant players, and even more whiners. I even noticed the non-regs when I used to not even pay attention to that at all before. Even despite the more hostile gaming environment, I noticed that I still liked playing Soldat anyways.

My point being that Soldat was always great regardless of the version. Sure, a lot of changes, but no matter how much we complain about versions, balances, and bugs...we all still play the game. The only reason I could be more fond of 1.2.1 rather than any of the newer versions is the nostalgic feeling of when you first fell in love with the game. Otherwise, I really don't see a MAJOR difference in GAMEPLAY of newer versions. It's still the game that I can go to some random server and play in total chaos with explosions everywhere whether it be 1.1.5 or 1.2.1 or 1.4.2.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Bug

• Major(1)
  • You'll clean up
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 01:41:28 am »
I so agree with jerich. Good speech!
yes.

Offline InoX

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 04:20:28 am »
no unregistered hits

Oh man, we didn't play the same 1.2.1 then. This has been a problem since I started playing, and 1.2.1 was hardly an exception.

I dont remember having hits bug in 1.2.1 but maybe im wrong;)
CTF_Crashed was a stupid map imo, but Chernobyl, with some improvements can be a great and tactical map!

I remember a 1.2.1 map ( removed in 1.3.1 or something ) that was really good.
I dont even remember the name but it was really fast paced, even more than nuubia, i miss it

Edit: Its CTF_Marage , but i cant download it anywhere, can someone uploead it ? it would be cool:)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 06:37:55 am by InoX »

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 05:19:35 am »
Extacide, I checked the SCTFL 5 and SCTFL 6 map choices (Using forum search) on the SCTFL archive here: http://archive.sctfl.net/index.php (Use the search function and search "Crashed" and "ctf_Crashed".

I could not find any matches EXCEPT 1 that used ctf_Crashed. So 1 total league match in 2 seasons of SCTFL used ctf_Crashed. here it is if your wondering: http://archive.sctfl.net/viewtopic.php?t=831&highlight=crashed

SCTFL 5 and 6 was during 1.2.1. Also I could not find any matches with you in them in SCTFL 5 and 6 (Unless you were using a different name back then), so I going to reserve the fact that I can make judgment here on whether or not crashed was actually liked (And I clearly remember the majority of people disliked crashed) since you don't even seem to be in the clan scene at that point in time. If you used a different name back then enlighten me as to what it was.
-Albert Einstien

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 02:09:10 pm »
The universe does not revolve around SCTFL.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 02:11:57 pm »
Oh you'd be surprised. Competitive soldat ( with 100+ clans meaning around 500-600 players ) does. The massive public consists of occasional players who play it as seriously as you play solitaire. Then there's a fine range of community people, in realistic + tw + australia + soldat forums, which mostly use public servers where every map gets played, so Crashed would be obviously more popular. But this is besides the point, as Poop was contradicting Extacide, whom claimed  that crashed was popular in the competitive scene - which it wasn't, and people only whined after it was removed. Tough luck bitches.

Offline Extacide

• Soldier
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 02:15:13 pm »
My name was Extacide, although I had just broken into the clan scene. If you don't remember, my first clan was `SL which I was in for about 8 months or so. We began scrimming in the dying months of 1.2.1. I remember thoroughly playing clans like SU, DETH, but I don't remember any others. I remember playing crashed maybe about five times in scrims with no whining or rejecting.

As for SCTFL, SL never participated in an SCTFL until SCTFL 7 I believe. You can check there and you'll find all the hype of SL defeating HS and going 12-0-0. Its too bad we died inside out with sneaky and his uber multiclanning (I freaking told those fags it was him but NO ONE BELIEVED ME). Would have been a fun SCTFL finals against BH had we survived. But that all goes past 1.2.1. I remember doing nothing but bitching about how desert eagles got nerfed until I picked up ruger later in 1.3, lol.

Offline TheWind

• Major
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 09:41:59 am »
Umm,maybe when barret had no delay.it owned cuz i love camping ;D

Offline InoX

• Major(1)
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 11:50:23 am »
Umm,maybe when barret had no delay.it owned cuz i love camping ;D
yes, it owned, it was really really easy to use:( even more than today!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 11:53:00 am »
Barett was easy to use due to a lack of startup time, but the problem is that makes the Barrett overpowered and overused. Besides, with the startup time, it is still relatively easy to use.

Offline ViN

• Camper
  • Try, Fail, Repeat.
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 12:55:19 pm »
No movement acc, that was it.
It was fun to play with ruger and barrett until 1.4.

Geekier than you!

Offline theSTATWHORE

• Major(1)
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »
Overall the community was much better and game play seems like it was more fun. Also, no whining :*(

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 01:59:28 pm »
Good answer.

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008, 07:37:11 pm »
There were no moveacc changes between 1.2.1 and 1.3.1. And in 1.4, barret's moveacc was only changed from 6 to 7 while ruger's remained unchanged.

Going by game pace I'd say 1.1.X were way faster. Without the ability to jump backwards, prone and backflip there was no other way to play the game than to attack.

1.2.1 was pure shit in clanwars. If you wanted to win you had to use either Ak, deagles or barret. I've never prayed so much for a new WM as I did for 1.3, unknowing that it would be just as bad.

Offline JesusEatsBanana

• Major(1)
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008, 11:43:33 pm »
1.2.1 wasnt that good. Even thought not many people hacked it back then, it was way to easy to hack. Now its the opposite, lots of hackers, harder to hack.
Please read the rules for signature size.

ZOMG!! I d0zent needz a s1g w3n 1 h4z h4x!!!

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 12:25:02 am »
.... what the feck
 Tbh, I have seen one hacker in the last three months, I think.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker