Author Topic: Magus 86's Gosteks & Guns  (Read 22680 times)

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
Magus 86's Gosteks & Guns
« on: May 07, 2008, 05:37:41 pm »
Interface:

Character/Gun sprites:

Pickups:

Cluster:

Download Link:
http://files.filefront.com/GosteksNGunszip/;11377744;/fileinfo.html

Mod changes include:

Gostek is now a camouflage pattern made up of different shades of whatever color you pick for your character. Characters now have balaclavas, combat boots, and gloves.

All weapons except the Minigun, Knife, and Chainsaw have been changed. Screenshots show what the new weapons look like.

All weapon sounds have been changed. Also borrowed some character/object sounds from Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear. 

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:29:35 pm by Magus86 »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: Magus 86's Gosteks & Guns
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:32:28 pm »
Ingames aren't bad but I just can't understand why you don't want to take the effort to make this the mod that it could be. You definitely need to approach stuff with a better attitude.

You're doing better now with your slapdash attitude than some of the rookies that are trying damn hard but just can't get it right. If they can put up such an effort, are you that much less of a human that you can't?

Also, first link is broken. It would be better if you'd also use a nice free hosting site like FileFront so that downloaders don't need to be annoyed by a 1-min wait time.

Date Posted: May 07, 2008, 06:57:28 pm
Okay! So I hate you so damn much that I took the time to download the mod and figure out what you could do better on. Ignoring the graphical aspect [now that I'm forced take back my old belief that everyone can learn proper art], the mod is carrying around a lot of dead weight in the packaging. When you put the mod together, think about the people who want to download it. Some people might not want to wait for a 6 mb download [dialup users], so only package the files you changed to make it efficient. It'll make your upload a lot easier, too, so you won't feel annoyed when you need to update. The statgun doesn't look like it's from your mod, and also lacks a -2 version. You're also missing the dropped-weapon graphics for your Colt1911 and Desert Eagles [they're n-colt and n-deserteagles].

I fixed a few issues, such as the ripped interface [removed] in this patched full version here. I removed most of the junk that you didn't change. Sounds are too tedious to go through, though, but even still, the size got slashed from 6 mb to a bit less than 4 mb. I didn't fix the issue with the dropped-weapon graphics, since it's still your mod and you should take pride enough in your work to actually give a damn about it. I did, however, fix the lack of M2-2.bmp.

Low-mass version: Install into Soldat/Mods folder.
M86-CS-Patched [3.71 mb]

You're really annoying with your make-it-or-break-it attitude, you know? You can do a lot better than that.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:36:34 pm »
I didn't know there was a special graphic for the dropped eagles or Colt. I was kind of wondering why it looked different when dropped, but I never found a file. I guess I just never looked hard enough...

It's not a matter of being unable to learn art. It's a matter of not caring about the graphics that are just used for menus. They're good enough to tell what guns they are, and that's all that really matters to me.

And oh bollocks, I didn't even know there was a different M2 at all... that must have snuck in there while I was testing out other mods...

By the way, thanks for pointing that out. You're not so bad when you're not being a complete dick to me for no reason.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 06:43:21 pm by Magus86 »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:40:18 pm »
Stop acting so defensive because you have no need to defend everything you're doing. It's just that if you want to do something, why not try to do it well? How can you not care about something you seem to like doing?

If you really just wanted to tell what the guns are, you can just replace the graphics with text showing the gun names, right?
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 06:44:33 pm »
Yes, I COULD just use text, but that would be even more lazy. I don't see what's wrong with what I did. I like the way it looks, and that's all that really matters. And I don't see what's wrong with different people liking different things.

By the way, the first download page works fine for me...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 06:47:18 pm by Magus86 »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:49:07 pm »
I like the way it looks

Sure then.

By the way, the first download page works fine for me...

Sorry, probably my Hoster program thinking it's a bad IP and blocking it. :\

Yeah I'm a dick. But sometime you'll realize the A-holes that you hate at first are the only ones being truthful to you. Happened to me, too. Don't blow off everyone that tries to help you as if they're personally 'out to get you' or something because all they want to do is make you better.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 06:52:18 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:17:46 pm »
Sorry, I just tend to not appreciate people telling me something I made looks like shit just because it's different. And then accusing me of ripping things off I was never trying to take credit for in the first place didn't help either.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:05:46 pm »
The weapons-gfx look passable because they're so small, and the gun shapes aren't half bad, but you really need to use shading on the interface weapons.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:33:29 pm »
Looking at the screenshots:

Did you do everything with MS paint? (I'm pretty sure the interface is)

If so, I must say that it isn't too bad, good effort. Hmm... I think the Colt .45 could need a bit of shading towards the edges ; needs to be underlined a bit (this is for the weapon-gfx).

Now for the interface, I think it is well-drawn, but it could use some shading. In particular, I don't like the Colt .45 . I don't know how to describe why... something to do with not looking very realistic because of the choice of colour... I feel like it should need a good mix of dark and light colours seeing that this pistol has a more silvery look.

Overall, not a bad try.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:35:31 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 11:39:10 pm »
You're damn right, I did everything with MS paint... I don't have anything else, and the interface wasn't a big concern of mine... Here's another screenshot of the interface. I added some detail. it's not really shaded... just added what little extra detail I could. There isn't a whole lot of space to work with...  I mostly tried to do some wood grain, ejection ports, and any tiny distinctive details I could with a few pixels.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:46:25 pm by Magus86 »

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:50:25 pm »
tbh, I love the fucking original style, screw them man I love this.

Doesn't need shading to be good, unless you want it "pro".
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 11:58:41 pm »
Ahh, adding those little details made them look MUCH better. Well done. I think the HK G3A3 would still need more detail, it seems a little blank on the green areas. The front of the RPD (the orange area) could also use a bit more detail.

Colt .45... I see very little difference, but definitely slightly better than the previous. The rest of the guns are basically perfect.

Well done. I agree with Boots that this is pretty original.

EDIT:
The AKS-74U's orange magazine needs a little bit of detail as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:41:19 am by STM1993 »

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 12:32:38 am »
Hate to disagree with the peepz here, but I think they look like crap without the shading. Your shapes are great tho, thats what I like best.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 01:53:44 am »
I like your shapes.  If you couldn't be bothered with the shading I suggest you make them a little smaller..  Less fat and plain.

If you want a good program for weapon editing besides paint, try downloading Paint.NET, it's what I use, it's incredibly easy to select different shades and you can do transperancy with it (for later use!)

Player since late 2007

Offline Evil Noob

• Major
  • Cluck Cluck-Moo
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 04:05:40 am »
Hate to disagree with the peepz here, but I think they look like crap without the shading. Your shapes are great tho, thats what I like best.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 07:01:36 am »
WTF....
Those weapons remember to me to some ones from a web that i don't remember hos its called

Ah, please next time remember to shade it, please!

The 2nd version shading is so poor, so if you need help on it just post it

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 07:13:11 am »
WTF....
Those weapons remember to me to some ones from a web that i don't remember hos its called

Ah, please next time remember to shade it, please!

The 2nd version shading is so poor, so if you need help on it just post it

He said he didn't shade, just added extra details for the 2nd version as compared to the 1st, but at least it looks better I guess. Oh ya, anyone has comments for his gosteks or weapon-gfx? It's not just his interface.

I like the interface because of the interface's shape, and the beauty of simplicity within it.

I think the gosteks are quite nice. Weapon-gfx is mainly okay, except for the colt .45 probably.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:24:51 am by STM1993 »

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 07:34:34 am »
I cannot say anything about gosteks, tehy are too magnificated! Put a pic from them ingame, and normal

Ok, you said that weapon shapes are nice? GL06 should be bigger from the barrel

For now icontinue looking for that website... lets see if i find it

Shapes from AK, B80 and SKS are for now nice, but AKs 74u is so little comparating it with the other ones it should be a bit mrore little than AK47

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 07:54:27 am »
I like the way it looks, and that's all that really matters.
Narcissism much? The only gun I like is the G3A3, even though the shading is donkeyshit.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 08:44:06 am »
Do I detect some history between Magus and Espadon?

... Anyway the mod itself is ok for a first mod. What can I say? It's average at best.

I wouldn't call it a full mod since you didn't bother to replace the minigun, chainsaw, knife or LAW. The yellow background just reminds me of yellowish dog poo. The AKS-74U is way too small, particularly compared with the AK-47. Colours aren't that great, I've never seen such a bright orange AK magazine sleeve, nor have I ever seen such a green looking G3A3 or a bright yellow SKS.

Get yourself an advanced image editting program like GIMP or Photoshop and learn how to shade and then put a little love and attention into a mod.

The Benelli's look good. They'd look beautiful with shading though.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20