Author Topic: Bot that ignores players...  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Kemik

• Major(1)
  • Oops. My finger slipped. And again. And again...
Bot that ignores players...
« on: May 17, 2008, 02:09:35 am »
Is there a way to create a bot that completely ignores other players? To be more specific, what I mean is a bot that doesn't chase after or otherwise shoot at any players; it's only purpose is to follow waypoints.

I'm trying to create a 'sniper training' map, which basically involves you sitting in a suspended 'only player collides' polygon while bots try to rush past you and grab the flag.
If you just saw someone get killed in a brutal, stupid, and somewhat hilarious way, then you were probably watching me. Be nice, MK?

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
Re: Bot that ignores players...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:43:46 am »
No way that I know of to make a bot that both ignores other players and actually moves. What you could do, however, is make it a team match with friendly fire on, I suppose.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:19:36 am »
A few ways:

1. Like what Zero72 said. You make a Team Deathmatch, activate Friendly Fire. The bots will run around, while you can pick them out.

2. Under "friend", you put in your character's name. For example, if you call yourself "Major", you type in "Major". This way, when bots see you, they won't attack you.

Just remember: You must make sure the sniper always kills in 1 hit. Otherwise the bot will chase after you temporarily when he is only injured. And make him use fists so at least he can't shoot you back or whatever, the most only disarming you and some damage, or give him a weapon which does no damage or can't attack and doesn't make you drop your weapon (weapon modding needed). This only works in Team matches.

If you want it to work for RAMBO MATCH, I'm not very sure if it works, but I believe that you have to make the bot have the same name as you or you have the same name as them. So they will attack no one. Only flaw is, you have to kill the bot who carries the bow, though I don't think he'll shoot anyone.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 03:23:32 am by STM1993 »

Offline Kemik

• Major(1)
  • Oops. My finger slipped. And again. And again...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:24:00 am »
Ah, thank you for the suggestions,  Zero72 and STM1993. Since i'm merely using this map to try to get better at barreting (or for that matter, aiming in general), friendly fire would work fine, and I also forgot about the Friend function. Problem solved, thanks again.
If you just saw someone get killed in a brutal, stupid, and somewhat hilarious way, then you were probably watching me. Be nice, MK?

Offline CrashMan

• Major
  • ... Is that so?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 08:43:24 pm »
A funny glitch I came across is giving a bot the Fist weapon, and then in the weapon configuration settings, I set the Fist's reload time to 0. What happens is that when a bot tries to attack with his hands it glitches out and is unable to attack at all.

The bot will still chase you, but it won't be able to do anything.

Consequently, don't ever drop a weapon unless you can find one to pick up nearby. If you ever end up with just your hands for any reason, you won't be able to do any attacking/switching/reloading until you pick something up.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »
A funny glitch I came across is giving a bot the Fist weapon, and then in the weapon configuration settings, I set the Fist's reload time to 0. What happens is that when a bot tries to attack with his hands it glitches out and is unable to attack at all.

The bot will still chase you, but it won't be able to do anything.

Consequently, don't ever drop a weapon unless you can find one to pick up nearby. If you ever end up with just your hands for any reason, you won't be able to do any attacking/switching/reloading until you pick something up.

That is a good idea, but there is one major flaw. It will cause you or the player to have problems with the animation. When you prone, you prone very fast, but can't get up unless you turn your mouse to face the opposite direction.

But the most important problem is the fact that if you see this effect, the fists/weapon has a 100% tendency to create a crouch bug. When you roll or backflip or maybe even crouch with it, your character will be stuck in a crouch-position and start moving in left or right unless you face the opposite direction. You cannot do ANYTHING while in this state. It can only be cancelled by proning, and apparently bots don't know how to do that properly.

The bots will then move very awkwardly if they are in crouch bug, so I didn't give this suggestion for the weapons.

Offline CrashMan

• Major
  • ... Is that so?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 11:09:50 pm »
I wondered why they did that. Apparantly, they can still fly while in the crouch bug. I don't think they're actually crouching, rather their sprite is crouching but the game still treats them as if they stand. They still move at a speed that suggest they are normally standing and running around.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 11:33:10 pm »
They can fly, but the physics is kinda thwarted. They also land on the ground slightly slower. So its not very practical though. But ya, it may still be a good idea if you like to see random bots occasionally enter a crouch bug, making them a possible more potential target.

Offline CrashMan

• Major
  • ... Is that so?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:25:12 am »
Yeah. If all you want is a moving target, then the crouch bug isn't a problem.

In fact, it makes it easier to determine between your harmless targets and the ones that can attack you (should you choose to throw a few bots with guns in the mix). Just look for the guys who are standing up.

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:39:34 am »
something u may be able to do to make it so the bots don't attack you is make the sniping spot a good deal  above the bots way point so they don't sea you. that would be best idea