Author Topic: Wanted: Madness Mod  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
Wanted: Madness Mod
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:55:48 pm »
Okay, show of hands: Who here isn't familiar with the Madness Combat series? ...Hey, you. Put your hand down.

Suffice it to say that I've wanted a good Madness mod for Soldat for quite some time. I know there was one in production some time ago -- my flawed memory wants to say that Wraithlike was behind it -- but he never did finish it. Last update I got about it was via PM, where whoever it was expressed intent to finish it, but that I shouldn't hold my breath. Which I suppose is a good thing, because I doubt I could have held my breath for... hell if I know, it could have been 2 years now for all I remember.

"Make one yourself," at least one of you smartasses is already saying. I'd love to, but I know I lack the talent to make it any good. Trust me. Some of you may remember my completely ho-hum Goldeneye mod. I would try, but I know I'd never even get it done, as I already have a pipelined mod that I'm unlikely ever to finish. I wouldn't even know what to name half the guns.

So, the best I can do is send out a public plea to the modding community. If anybody out there has the free time and the talent to make a Madness mod at any point, I'm sure it would be enjoyed by a great many besides only myself. Having also made a Mega Man mod which sucked a lot less than the Goldeneye one, as well as a good couple of other, smaller mods, I do have a pretty good understanding of modding logic, so I would be happy to provide creative input if it were needed.

And, uh... Yeah, on that, I guess I'm out. Anybody? Please? I know somebody out there is bored.

Offline rumpel

• Camper
banned.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
Re: Wanted: Madness Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:15:19 pm »
That mod is crap :/

Somebody should make a new one

Player since late 2007

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:33:44 pm »
That mod is crap :/

Somebody should make a new one

But probably the only one left.

I made a personal modification to that mod though. I couldn't find a picture of the Tac-90 used by Jebus in Madness Combat 8: Inundation, so I had to use Barrett atm. MP5 was changed... changed some sounds... chainsaw changed to a boom-box...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:35:25 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 10:08:58 pm »

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:24:04 pm »
I can;t find it on my computer, but I have a pic of all the weapons I made:

Knock yourself out.

Edit: I actually have a finished madness mod. It's kind of primitive, but let me make sure it's working and I'll post it.

Edit 2: Ok, I have it. It's old, untested, and unfinished, but it works. Just put it in your mods folder, and launch with the mod starter.

Edit 3: Ok, I also found all my additional files from the mod.

Edit 4: It's not all my work, there's some stuff by SK, and Brainfade.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:41:26 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:44:17 pm »
Hmm... Yeah, this is a bit poor, to be honest. And also, a few of those weapons are exactly those used in the mod linked above...

Even so, it's a start, and I do rather like the gostek. Hell, if there are no other takers, I might try to take this and modify it towards the sort of thing I had in mind... With your permission, of course. We could share the credit appropriately.

I'd like to emphasize the "if there are no other takers" from the above sentence, however. I still have a whole other mod sitting around and stagnating forever, and if I added this to my to-do list, it'd probably just sit there too.

Edit: I think your edit to the above post went up while I was posting this. Damn it. Hang on.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:49:58 pm by Zero72 »

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 11:58:39 pm »
Yeah, I know they're not great, but I made that a long time ago. Regardless, do whatever you want with it. I give you full permission, and I don't really care that much about credit. Just make sure to credit Serial Killer, and Brainfade.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:03:34 am »
Alright, thanks.

Offline rumpel

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 06:11:08 am »
banned.

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 03:32:57 am »
But what are the conditions you want ? I mean , the weapons shoul look exactly like the ones from Madness I guess so they will be quite plain and grayscale ?

Next, do you have pictures of all weapons you want ?

Can you got sounds for all weapons ?

EDIT: There is a nice game similar to Madness style (weapons) called Thing Thing. Maybe a combination of those two could be awesome and full of weapons.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 04:14:26 am »
But what are the conditions you want ? I mean , the weapons shoul look exactly like the ones from Madness I guess so they will be quite plain and grayscale ?

Ideally. That, of course, was attempted by all the others we've seen in this thread so far, but they're a bit too simple. I know they need more detail than perfect square outlines filled in with a single shade of gray.

EDIT: Having gone back and inspected a couple of the weapons in the animations in closer detail, I guess I should give the attempts so far some more credit. In low detail, at least, many of them are just simple outlines and solid colors, although most of them at least have differently-colored parts to it. Maybe it's just easier to perceive them as looking better when you're focusing on everything else and viewing in not-ass quality. Even so, some, like the shotgun from Madness 3 and so-on, do have some more details to them.

Next, do you have pictures of all weapons you want ?

Not immediately, but getting them shouldn't be too hard if you want them. I've put a fair amount of thought into it...

Can you got sounds for all weapons ?

Aaand there's the big problem. Recording the audio from the animations wouldn't be at all hard, but if I did that to get the sound effects, they'd all have the music in the way. This might not be a huge problem, and might be correctable in something like Audition, though I don't know too much about it.

To be honest, I was thinking about taking Wraithlike's gostek, making some changes to that, and then starting on the weapons from scratch, though I'd probably bone the scale all up. Again, I don't have a lot of talent when it comes to decent-looking guns. If you're making the offer and need these things or anything else from me, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:28:19 am by Zero72 »

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 04:42:34 am »
Seriously I don't know how much time I've got. But if you could show some pictures I could try to do something with them.

Yay, the gostek of Wraithlike was awesome. As far as I remember.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 05:00:00 am »
I guess soldat doesn't quite mix with madness and thing-thing type weapons..

Player since late 2007

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 05:21:17 am »
Alright, I'll grab some weapon stills from the animations tomorrow.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 09:45:12 am »
Sounds?

Have you tried this newgrounds page:

http://nez-man.newgrounds.com/news/post/29612

It has the legal resources for Madness Combat animations. Most of the files are in .swf format, so you need Macromedia Flash Player to open it. That includes sprites.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 05:14:11 pm »
You could also rip sounds from madness interactive. If I remember correctly, you can turn the music on that off.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 05:40:40 am »
Excellent, thanks for those suggestions. I'll cross the sound effects bridge when I get to... whaaa?
That includes sprites.

...Hmm. I don't have Flash, but I have a friend who does, and he'd probably be willing to help out.

...Could the interface be as simple as a resize job after all this? Needless to say, it might not be quite as good that way, but considering how simple they are, they'd be easy to correct for... Hmm.

Edit: On a note not entirely related to the mod, they have all the music MP3's, from the looks of it. Jack-effin'-pot. Thanks.

Edit again: I know I said I'd go ahead and grab some screenshots from the animations, but I think I'll wait for now and see if I can get anything out of the stuff from that page. If I spent an hour seeking out the best places to get screenshots of all the weapons I want and then Dairy spent even more time actually starting on interface graphics, and then I ended up using these anyway, that would just be a big fat waste of effort.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:03:35 am by Zero72 »