Author Topic: soldat.ini network settings  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
soldat.ini network settings
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:22:57 pm »
Is there any guide which describes the following?
Or, can someone explain me what do these really affect.
T1_Snapshot=
T1_MajorSnapshot=
T1_DeadSnapshot=
T1_Heartbeat=
T1_Delta=
T1_Ping=
T1_ThingSnapshot=

I remember there was one, but I can't find it atm. Sorry if this topic is in wrong section or something.

What I have gathered, T1_Ping is the value how often server requests ping from client. IMO it is a bit too much to ping 3 times per second.

T1_Delta would be something to chek whenever bullet hits, where player moves, or something.

Correct me if im wrong.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Replica

• Major
Re: soldat.ini network settings
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 04:44:52 am »
I can only assume I'd get the same response as clawbug, but I have to say I am still pretty curious as to what these mean too.  epic bump ftw, btw. 

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:33 pm »
The values are the number of ticks between sending the specified types of packets. So the server pings clients every 21 ticks (350ms). The others are for syncing objects and player positions between clients, the exact type of data each type does I don't remember offhand and can't check at the moment. Higher values will improve performance on laggier connections but introduce jittering and teleportation as a side effect.

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:21:04 am »
Hey,
This is actually quite useful, I added this so people can experiment on their own with the network settings and adjust the game network smoothness, pings and lags on the server.

From the manual:
- Added soldat.ini options for setting packet send rate T1_*, works when connection type is set to T1 (Internet_Connection=3)
example: T1_Snapshot=40, sends this packet every 40 ticks (60 ticks = 1 second).

T1_Snapshot=
T1_MajorSnapshot=
These are for syncing player movements and settings. It is critical to send these every now and then. The more packet loss on the server the more frequent this has to be.

T1_DeadSnapshot=
For sending dead players info, no so important for gameplay reasons so can be sent less frequently.

T1_Heartbeat=
Update the players score and ping list.

T1_Delta=
Send delta packets - packets with information about player movement change or player controls change. This is critical for smoothness of player movement, but sending this too frequently might result in higher pings.

T1_Ping=
How frequently the ping is checked. The more frequently it is checked the more reliable the ping information is. This is critical for the anti-lag system for players.

T1_ThingSnapshot=
Information about medikits, grenade kits and flags.

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 11:31:44 am »
Hmm.. some useful info there. I may "play" with these settings a bit ;)

Offline Replica

• Major
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 09:24:12 pm »
cheers for the info! 

thanks Flies Like a Brick for getting to MM about this, was finding it strange at how difficult it was to find detailed information on these settings. 

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:15:10 am »
So, just to be sure, if I change T1_Delta to 3 from default 4 then it's sending packets more frequently ? I suppose so as the number is time and not the actual amount of packets ?

Offline Costa

• Major
  • [.O']
    • -- Soldat
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 09:47:41 am »
So, just to be sure, if I change T1_Delta to 3 from default 4 then it's sending packets more frequently ? I suppose so as the number is time and not the actual amount of packets ?

Yes ;)