Author Topic: Crouchbug Racing?  (Read 13797 times)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Crouchbug Racing?
« on: May 24, 2008, 06:45:36 pm »
EDIT:
Crouchbug has been fixed under normal circumstances, BUT usage of a bugged weapon will still cause crouchbug to happen.

No, I'm not suggesting it as an official game mode, I'm suggesting it as a type of sub-game mode in CTF.

After playing around in fistbox with a Minimi I made which happened to have crouchbug, I had this idea when I just woke up today in the morning, which was to try to make a game mode with the crouchbug element, put together with some other stuff, like Racing. This game mode, like Climbing and the typical racing, is highly dependent on the map and scripting is optional.

So it would be like this:

On the beginning of the game, every player gets to select any weapon they want using a /weap function. Any weapon meaning it includes Flamer, Rambo Bow, etc. While choosing weapons, players will be frozen in a fixed position until a time limit is over. After the time limit, the race would begin, and players would then roll forward, enabling crouchbug to happen. Players will now race through a series of obstacles with a jet amount dependent on the map in crouchbug mode. At the end of the map, there will be two flags. First one to get there, wins. If you happen to die, you will respawn instantly at the start, or if the server's script has it, maybe a checkpoint.

All weapons have the same stats (well almost). They may shoot, but they make no difference (because there's no damage or boost). Besides, this game mode is for crouchbug, if you don't use it, you can't win it as easily as the crouchbug players. May I add that the only way you can get killed is by hitting instant-kill polys, or if the script wants it, you can add the "Berserker Kit" which you have to avoid. It's completely optional what extra stuff you want to put inside.

For crouchbug, it is quite difficult to travel through very narrow terrain (try going around inf_Industrial in crouchbug, I succeeded but it can be a little tough). It is dependent on jets too actually, because the fastest crouchbug is one that is in mid-air, so on some maps where there are low jets, you have to time your jets perfectly to be the fastest, while you have to travel slowly on the ground on certain places. Besides, I'm sure some mappers would make obstacles where you would have to fly over them.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:45:33 pm by STM1993 »

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
Re: Game Mode: Crouchbug Racing?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:55:42 pm »
This would be funny, but I at least don't know how to get the crouchbug or how it works, let alone make it happen every time I want for a server. Otherwise, this would be fun, and hilarious to watch. But isn't the point to fix bugs?
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Evil Noob

• Major
  • Cluck Cluck-Moo
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:42:38 pm »
That's a really good idea 93.
I came 2ND in the inf_Industrial crouchbug race on the fistbox server with you. ^^.
The CrouchBug duckhunt was also pretty fun, maybe we could also make it a bit like the duckhunt servers.
For example: Alpha team are trying to get across the map with the crouchbug and bravo team are hiding with snipers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:51:40 pm by Evil Noob »

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:30:27 am »
This would be funny, but I at least don't know how to get the crouchbug or how it works, let alone make it happen every time I want for a server. Otherwise, this would be fun, and hilarious to watch. But isn't the point to fix bugs?

Crouchbug... I'm not sure how it works, but one thing's for sure ; if you do something to your weapon in a certain way, it'd make it have crouch bug. For example, having reload 0 for the weapons.

Ya the point is to fix bugs, but why not give the crouchbug a special reason to remain?

I mean, I too hate the crouchbug in an actual fight, but I'd like to see this crouchbug remain as a way to create new game modes or whatever funny ideas. I'd like to see the bug fixed, but also have an option like /crouchbug to enter the crouchbug state for fun purposes.

Even better if you can shoot and reload in crouch bug (but will always aim straight). Imagine some kind of Gundam or Robot mod with that feature. It looks like you transform into a vehicle and start flying around XD This is just an idea, don't take this paragraph so seriously.

That's a really good idea 93.
I came 2ND in the inf_Industrial crouchbug race on the fistbox server with you. ^^.
The CrouchBug duckhunt was also pretty fun, maybe we could also make it a bit like the duckhunt servers.
For example: Alpha team are trying to get across the map with the crouchbug and bravo team are hiding with snipers.

Lol I was first XD
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:37:25 am by STM1993 »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:41:51 am »
You can get out fo the crouch bug with prone,... and there's not much chance of anyone actually Modifying a bug so you cant get out of it....

Player since late 2007

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:56:47 am »
You can get out fo the crouch bug with prone,... and there's not much chance of anyone actually Modifying a bug so you cant get out of it....

Well you can get out of the bug with prone, but still, the race's supposed to be for crouch bug, so non-crouchbug players can't go as fast as the crouchbug players. Or if you're referring to changing the bug into an actual thing, that's more like something to do with the game itself than for modding.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:58:50 am »

Yes you can, someone made an "auto-croucher" with a modification of the ak, I'll attach it later if I can find it.

It's not a bad idea 93, I mean hover-racing was a big hit when it first came out. I'm just not sure if this idea will last for long...
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 01:02:50 am »
Well if it works I think it would go well with climbing based maps too :P

Player since late 2007

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:35:30 pm »
Code: [Select]
[Ak-74]
Damage=272
FireInterval=10
Ammo=60
ReloadTime=120
Speed=180
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=6
Bink=-24
MovementAcc=3
Recoil=0

Ok, I think I've found the "AK Auto croucher," someone was mucking around with it and now you crouch everytime you backflip.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:37:28 pm by NinjaGimp369 »
[/url]

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 02:28:41 am »
Sorry - I dunno what crouchbug is xD

But it sure sounds fun
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline Requiem-

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 07:31:16 am »
Sorry - I dunno what crouchbug is xD

But it sure sounds fun

It's a bug where you get stuck in the crouching position, without being able to do anything (firing your gun, reloading, etc.) except for jetting.

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:46:38 am »
So how do you race with it?
=)
Just jet across the map as well as you can?
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 05:09:07 am »
Whilst avoiding the deadly polygons. To be honest, the more I read this, the more fun it sounds. :|
[/url]

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 05:23:17 am »
So how do you race with it?
=)
Just jet across the map as well as you can?

Basically, you enter the crouch bug, then after that you'll race through a map. You will use jets to aid you, such as helping you keep in mid-air (makes you move faster than sliding on the floor) and to get over higher obstacles.

Offline Requiem-

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 06:15:59 am »
You could put some Icy polygons in as well, I think you'd go faster then whilst sliding on the floor. You could ask some people to make some sort of prototype map, so you can test it out and see if it works out alright.

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 06:25:59 am »
Well..
1) How do you enter crouch bug?
2) Do you automatically move forward, or do you use direction keys to direct something, or is there another way to get you moving?

Offline Requiem-

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 06:48:20 am »
1) There's a special bug for it with the AK. I think it's posted somewhere above.
2) You move in the opposite direction of your cursor automatically. Mouse down -> you go up, mouse left -> you go right, etc.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 06:53:55 am »
Well..
1) How do you enter crouch bug?
2) Do you automatically move forward, or do you use direction keys to direct something, or is there another way to get you moving?

1) There's a special bug for it with the AK. I think it's posted somewhere above.
2) You move in the opposite direction of your cursor automatically. Mouse down -> you go up, mouse left -> you go right, etc.

1) It's a bug which can happen ingame sometimes. It works 100% perfectly when you make some settings to certain weapons. For example, the AK posted here. Or, you could give the chainsaw reload=0. In toumaz's fistbox, I made a Minimi with -30 speed, 1 ammo and 0 fireintrval firing plain bullets I think, and it would go into crouch bug. To enter crouch bug mode, you either BACKFLIP or ROLL.

2) Actually, it depends on which direction you began your crouch bug. If you ROLL FORWARD, you will move forward. If you BACKFLIP or ROLL BACKWARDS, you move backwards. No, it doesn't move towards your cursor. Only front or back. If you had rolled forward and point your cursor to the right, he will move right. Left, he will move left, but if you point up or down, he won't move up or down. Strictly left or right only.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:55:55 am by STM1993 »

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 06:58:38 am »
Ohk sure STM sounds fun!
So up and down is controlled by jets and gravity respectively?

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 07:52:07 am »
So up and down is controlled by jets and gravity respectively?

Correct.

Hold on, I'm coming up with a demo to show you how the crouch bug is like.

EDIT:
I recorded a little demonstration with Fraps, 50 FPS with sound. It was 2+ Gigs in avi format, so I used windows movie maker to reduce the size by a lot (and quality too... had to sacrifice a bit). Now its about 7 MB, placed in a RAR folder it would be about 6.43 MB. Uploaded it into my ripway account. Click the link, and there you go! Happy watching!

EDIT 6/7/09:
Download link is broken.

Date Posted: 27 May 2008, 20:19:30
Btw, note that the weapon I used to demonstrate to you is a modified Minimi. The stats are:

[FN Minimi]
Damage=0
FireInterval=0
Ammo=1
ReloadTime=30
Speed=-30
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=0
Bink=0
MovementAcc=0
Recoil=0
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:17:05 am by STM1993 »