Author Topic: Do you believe in evolution?  (Read 15718 times)

Offline Snow

• Camper
Re: Do you believe in evolution?
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2008, 02:04:11 pm »
I don't belive in evolution, I know it's true.

Ditto.

I also believe in God, well more in an agnostic way. If God does exist, wouldn't he/she be smart enough to create a world where life and nature are constantly evolving. My science teacher once said, "Why would evolution be incorrect, when not only is it highly apparent when we look at other mammals for instance and why can't Adam and Eve be primates? If this is God's plan, then why can't the first primates who started to use tools, use intellect generate thought, etc. in the chain of human evolution be our Adam and Eve?"

If God is real and this world, this life is our test of faith (as some may think of it), then why not have a world that works according to science? If we could actually physically prove the existance of God and the Heavens... well then that whole surprise would be spoiled for us. Then all people would live for is to get "there". We'd be missing the whole point of life.

In my own opinion, whether it is a test or not, I believe we all have the natural right to question our existance, the existance of the universe, the existance of God. That's a no brainer. If you blindly believe because that's what you were taught and because those believes are based on ancient texts - that no one knows are truly official or were written by celestial guidance, then sorry, but you're a hippocrate. Look at Christianity. Which Bible is the TRUE Bible? There are several different versions with altered rules, laws. The Vatican denounces the Gospels of St. Thomas - declaring them heresay, when they are supposed to be the direct teachings and words of Jesus Christ himself. One of the reasons AFAIK they declare it so is because in the Gospels, Jesus says that DON'T need to be in a church/building or in some organization - specific religion, to find him. You can find him anywhere, basically in your heart. All he required, was that you believe in him and he said that, THAT was ENOUGH.

I'm not saying you don't have to believe. Whatever you believe is your choice and right. All I'm saying is, even if you do believe, you still have the right to question.

Anyhow to get back on track, wouldn't God want us to have individual thought, conscience and be questioning? We are all born free. By nature - there were no rules handed down to us that said " you have to live your live "x" way or I'll smite you little buggers".

So why give us any of the answers? Humans have become intelligent, harnassed the atom and went into space. Now if evolution wasn't real and a trillobyte always existed as a trillobyte and a horse always existed as a horse - well, we'd figure that out pretty quick that then something created the first trillobyte, something or someone created the first horse and so on.

When it comes to the question of evolution. I find it amazing that even after so much study, fact and if you use even a bit of common sense - it is so apparent around us. Hell, evolution was physically observed in a 30 year span of small berry eating island birds who resorted to becoming carnivorous after their staple diet ran out and didn't grow anymore. I can't remember offhand what those birds were called, but I bet I could find out if I look it up. Chickens, being birds, being the supposed decendants of the dinosaurs have a chunk of code in their DNA for teeth. When that bit is activated, the then genetically altered chicken has small teethlike structures on their beak. There is a plan to actually bring back the Mammoths via a mother elephant. If they were not related, how would that be possible? As I know (and it could be totally BS, I haven't read up on it in a while), but the process for reconstructing mammoth DNA is underway. The same article said that if mammoths can be brought back through using elephant mothers, after 4 or 5 generations they could have a creature that is 88% mammoth, 12% elephant. They'd fertilize the first half mammoth/half elephant females with pure mammoth DNA, and repeat this process with the females of every generation until they got to the limit.

This planet's climate is constantly changing. Nature always finds a way to adapt. It has been thoroughly proven that when a creature or event is too damaging to nature, nature will respond and fix it. Lifeforms have to evolve to adapt. In the far future, the Sun will change as well. Life will have to continually adapt to be able to live with an aging sun.

So, when the first primates evolved into intelligent hominids, I personally believe God was there. He/she created the world. There was no hurry for us to be here. Our own existance could have been there all that time, just waiting in genetic code until creatures started to branch out, then primates existed and one day the right pair were born. That's what I like to believe.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:06:46 pm by Snow »
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2008, 07:51:38 pm »
Churches don't earn that much money. They have to pay saleries(believe me churches DO NOT PAY WELL, and you don't get raises),

ROFLMAOCOPTER!
WTF r u talking about †, You of all people should know this. CHURCHES ARE RUN OFF MONEY! Why do you think Some ministers Own private jets, or Own multiple Buisness's? Because Church's Make a buttload of money.

I say. Any church that makes Profit Is corrupt.
Holy Poop!

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2008, 08:05:59 pm »
Those who can afford to buy the luxuries usually end up on the news shortly before being put on trial for fraud and other charges.  Don't confuse a few greedy pricks with those who do just scrap by on donations and collections. 
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2008, 08:54:44 pm »
Dont Be fooled.
Holy Poop!

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2008, 10:02:26 pm »
Churches don't earn that much money. They have to pay saleries(believe me churches DO NOT PAY WELL, and you don't get raises),

ROFLMAOCOPTER!
WTF r u talking about †, You of all people should know this. CHURCHES ARE RUN OFF MONEY! Why do you think Some ministers Own private jets, or Own multiple Buisness's? Because Church's Make a buttload of money.

I say. Any church that makes Profit Is corrupt.
I know churches run off money... in fact I never said they didn't, they usually don't have that much to spare. I know some people strike it rich, but I think you are confusing televangelists with churches.

Btw any church that make a profit means it has blessed people that are following scripture. What they do with the profit can be put to question, but not the profit itself.
@ii

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2008, 10:21:17 pm »
Dont Be fooled.

Don't spout nonsense.

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2008, 10:48:11 pm »
this is a giant circlejerk about nothing

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2008, 12:01:31 am »
Then why bother posting?  No angsty antagonists needed.

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2008, 01:32:46 am »
you have mangled for that

99% of you refuse to listen to eachother so what's the point

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2008, 02:35:19 am »
There's a difference between refusing to listen and arguing.  And until I'm convinced of something otherwise, why should I listen?  There would be no debate if everyone just shook hands and said it didn't really matter.

woo

« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2008, 04:07:26 am »
And until I'm convinced of something otherwise, why should I listen?

And how the hell would that happen if you're not even listening what other people have to say? That just makes the whole arguing thing completely pointless because people think their opinions are the absolute truth. It's not going to get you anywhere.

Ben 1 - Geo 0
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:20:36 am by woo »

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2008, 06:39:26 am »

And how the hell would that happen if you're not even listening what other people have to say? That just makes the whole arguing thing completely pointless because people think their opinions are the absolute truth. It's not going to get you anywhere.

Ben 1 - Geo 0

For me at least, I've only been countering flawed arguments. If there's a scientific argument based on facts that could not be countered, then I'd soak that info up.

But even though none of the debaters might change eachothers' opinions, it could help other readers become more enlightened.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2008, 06:41:12 am »
Did anyone see in the news about that new tribe found in the amazon. Apparently there hariy and threw spears at a helicopter o.0.
My point is rofl, that theres some more scientific evidence towards religon being false.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2008, 06:56:54 am »
Did anyone see in the news about that new tribe found in the amazon. Apparently there hariy and threw spears at a helicopter o.0.
My point is rofl, that theres some more scientific evidence towards religon being false.

I though it was pretty amazing, that throughout the entire time in the world, that we have only discovered this tribe now. I wonder how they managed to survive any type of massive infections that have been bred in the modern world without ever coming in contact with minor disease or infections, or in infact anyone else.

Cool stuff if you ask me.
Lol, internets.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2008, 07:04:55 am »
Yeah, it is quite amazing.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2008, 10:08:44 am »
Science can't prove religion wrong and religion can't prove science wrong. They deal with two different worlds. We know what has been proven as fact by science, you can't yell "God" long enough to not be affected by gravity(This is outside miracles which I believe to be fact). Science can't disprove the religious experiences of millions of people because it comes from a different realm for lack of a better word, a spiritual realm. 
@ii

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2008, 10:12:23 am »

You've missed my point entirely, which 8th Account summed up pretty well.  Let's not turn this into a thread ending in cheap shots, even if it may have already run it's course.  If you don't have something to say about the previous arguments in this thread (other than peanut gallery commentary), either try to find something on topic to get the debate going or don't bother.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2008, 02:13:10 pm »
Science can't prove religion wrong and religion can't prove science wrong.

I agree with that to an extent.

However, science can prove itself right whereas religion cannot prove anything, it's is based on having faith.

For me something has do be proven beyond reasonable doubt. If you're going to tell me that you're invincible then I want to see you blow your brains out and then carry on talking to me. Word alone is not enough.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20