Author Topic: Do you believe in evolution?  (Read 15724 times)

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
Re: Do you believe in evolution?
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 05:10:26 am »
Why have fish that spend their entire lives underground in cave-pools go blind?

Evolution.

Taken abstractly, I do believe in Battlefield Evolution

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 06:18:45 am »
I think god is not something that you can talk to. Or a being. It a force like Gravety or stuff like that. It has a plan probeably. Evolution is just a peice in the puzzle.

Note my religion is self invented. But inspired by several other beleve's.
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 07:02:42 am »
I enjoy watching people assume that science, empirical evidence, proven/disproven theories, and even logic, to an extent, are somehow the end-all solutions to everything in the universe and anything that is not backed up by evidence or theories is wrong and is being completely made up by a bunch of delusional, illogical, controlling, irrational, unreasonable, and condemning nitwits who have imaginary friends. Since when did everything that is empirical or can be observed is the absolute truth, and anything that says otherwise is wrong? It's ironic, considering people take shots at creationism for the exact same issue.

Unexplainable phenomena in terms of being alive or dying, being miraculously cured, spiritual experiences, enlightenment, and faith are all either aspects of religion or are direct or indirect results of it. Once you recognize that these things are not able to be observed from an objective perspective of science and evidence, you will also realize that to truly discover what we babble about, you must experience it yourself. We can't show you God. He will have to show himself to you, and he will do 90% of the work involved in this procedure, but you need to put forth the first 10% of effort.

I'm going to give you a bag. Inside this bag will be a completely disassembled watch. There are also all of the necessary tools to make the watch. Now I want you to start shaking this bag vigorously for millions of years. When you look inside the bag and get a perfectly functioning watch, let me know.

Mostly TL; DR'd, but I did notice the two last lines though. Then I cracked up laughing. You obviously have no idea what evolution means. Go back to elementary kthxbye

Do you know how many people observed the death and resurrection of Jesus?

Why don't you go ask them? Oops, wait.

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 07:37:57 am »
The Question "Do you believe in Evolution?" is entirely dependant upon religion, therefore if you believe in an all powerful lord, than you believe he created earth, than you can. Anything wrong with that? Nope.

If you believe in logic, science and realism (from a perspective), than you will say yes <--- Me.

If you believe something else, share it.

If you are going to be anti-religious or preach how good religion is in this topic than you obviously have come out of the closet and need a good slapping.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2008, 08:44:05 am »
Whoever quoted me the first time adaption and evolution are not the same thing. If you go to a new part of the country and have to adapt to function normal in that temperature.

If you're talking about an organism changing climate within its lifetime, then you're thinking of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization
Not really I was just tired and trying to make a point, didn't mix well.
@ii

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2008, 09:03:45 am »
Being God means that he, in all probability can predict the happenings of chaotic dynamics

Then there is no freewill

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2008, 09:42:51 am »
Being God means that he, in all probability can predict the happenings of chaotic dynamics

A: Free will exists.
If God knows everything, what will happen and so on, then we have no free will, since everything has been already decided by God.
If God doesn't know everything, he isn't all-powerful.
According to the Bible, God is all-powerful.
God must know everything to be all-powerful, but he cannot be all-powerful if there is free will.
Paradox.

B: There is no free will.
No paradoxes.

B must be true, because A makes a critical paradox - free will and God cannot co-exist.

So, according to the Bible, we humans have no free will, and we have been sentenced to heaven or hell before we are even born.

EDIT: now, get back to evolution.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:45:21 am by Fluffy »

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2008, 09:45:39 am »
Freewill can exist, so long as the future is considered possible. Therefore, God still knows all that can be known.

Offline Boblekonvolutt

• Soldier
  • "YOU are a CAR."
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2008, 09:46:36 am »
Since when are religious people reasonable regarding their faith? This is a waste of time...

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2008, 09:47:44 am »
Freewill can exist, so long as the future is considered possible. Therefore, God still knows all that can be known.

Like I said, if God exists, then free will cannot exist, or then God simply isn't all-powerful. Did you read what I wrote?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:49:33 am by Fluffy »

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2008, 09:50:22 am »
The claims is that god is all-knowing. If the future is possibility, it means it can have many outcomes. This means God can still know all without knowing the future as definite as it doesn't act as such.

Did you read what I wrote?

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2008, 09:52:35 am »
God doesn't "decide your life", he knows your choices.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2008, 09:53:54 am »
The claims is that god is all-knowing. If the future is possibility, it means it can have many outcomes. This means God can still know all without knowing the future as definite as it doesn't act as such.

Did you read what I wrote?

You wrote nothing about multiple futures (well actually you did, my bad). And there is no proof that they exist anyway.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 11:43:26 am by Fluffy »

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2008, 09:55:11 am »
God doesn't "decide your life", he knows your choices.

Thats still illogical as to know your choices would be to know the future as definite. Once again meaning you had no "choice".

You wrote nothing about multiple futures. And there is no proof that they exist anyway.

I wrote about how there can be more than one POSSIBLE future, however once it becomes present one of the possibilities become actual.

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2008, 09:56:58 am »
Like I said, there is no proof of these different futures.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2008, 09:59:22 am »
Like I said, there is no proof of these different futures.

I wont go off on that tangent right now on the forums, but its not about proof of these possibilities. However, I could say the same thing, there is no proof that the future is determined.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2008, 10:43:23 am »

A: Free will exists.
If God knows everything, what will happen and so on, then we have no free will, since everything has been already decided by God.
If God doesn't know everything, he isn't all-powerful.
According to the Bible, God is all-powerful.
God must know everything to be all-powerful, but he cannot be all-powerful if there is free will.
Paradox.

B: There is no free will.
No paradoxes.

B must be true, because A makes a critical paradox - free will and God cannot co-exist.

So, according to the Bible, we humans have no free will, and we have been sentenced to heaven or hell before we are even born.

EDIT: now, get back to evolution.

There is freewill. According to my (limited) understanding of the Christian God, he provides a "stage" if you will, and you have the "choice" to believe in him and be devout, or suffer for all eternity when Jesus returns.
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2008, 10:50:04 am »
There is freewill. According to my (limited) understanding of the Christian God, he provides a "stage" if you will, and you have the "choice" to believe in him and be devout, or suffer for all eternity when Jesus returns.

This is natural theology, or natural atheism. Its not about what the bible claims.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2008, 12:10:43 pm »
Mangled I don't remember. If I kept that much track of my life I would be as anal as Richard Simons.

Really? So it's not important despite the fact that you keep your Bible on top of your computer? - yeah, that's right I saw that thread.

The reason I asked when you learned about creationism is because you said beforehand you had learned about evolution and it had seemed unreasonable to you. But most people who are religious were brought up in a religious environment and were completely oblivious to evolution through censorship on the part of all the religious people around them. Because if you're saying that you 'learned' about evolution when you were a child then I'm saying you couldn't possibly have understood it - and I think you're lying when you say you don't remember when you first learned about creationism. That's what I think.

I'd be interested to hear why you think that the Roman Catholic church accepts evolution.

Fine, I'll explain. Do you know how many people observed the death and resurrection of Jesus? There's a simple start.
Oh. Just because it can't be disproved... doesn't mean it exists, right? Isn't that the point that atheists have pushing against religion?

Who are.... Bible Scholars, Pastors, Ministers, Rabbis, Clergys.

I don't know how many observed the death of Jesus. Do you? Do you know any of their names? Does it make a difference? Wow, a man died. That is most profound! Who witnessed his resurrection? Personally I think you read too much into it, it could have easily been grave robbers who moved that 'two tonne' boulder (I'd like to know who weighed it....) and moved the corpse. It could have been the followers of Jesus who did that and wanted it to look as if he had been resurrected.

It may not be directly disprovable... but it is disprovable through lack of proof I hope you realize.

Who are Clergymen and religious hierarchy? Well they're just people aren't they... and their "job" is to promote the religion. Many of them simply abuse their roles to manipulate people within their constituency though. Like all those pervert priests who molest little kids in their parish or like Muslim Clerics who manipulate their followers into blowing themselves up in crowds of innocent people.

Lets not forget that the Bible was written approximately 40 years after the death of Jesus. Which somewhat invalidates further it as a historical document as it was not written at the time and is a collaborative text written by people who probably wouldn't have even been born whilst Jesus was still alive since the average lifespan of a person back then was about 40 years at best.

what about people who get jobs as priests and nuns?

Well what about them? They earn from the collection plate and donations don't they? So their job is simply to fluff the members of their constituency into believing and contributing money towards the church.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2008, 12:25:50 pm »
Stating that jobs including evolution in the title isn't fallacious because jobs that exists also contain religious tones (well, essentially it is), its fallacious because its appealing to belief.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:28:17 pm by Smegma »