Author Topic: Science fiction conglomerate energy weapons  (Read 6252 times)

Offline NordOst

• Major(1)
Science fiction conglomerate energy weapons
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:16:47 pm »
Originally this started out as a simple way I could more readily see what guns the people I was playing with were using, by adding bright accents to the guns, and different shapes for the bullets. Of course I ended up liking what the guns and bullets looked like, and even if the end result is a little bit cartoony, I figure -somebody- out here might like and use it, so here we go.

and for some in-game shots:
-Entropy Cannon
- Vibroblade (keep those jokes to yourself!)
- railgun
- Photon Ray
You get the idea. they're a little bit bigger than normal, but the size hasn't thrown me off yet.

It's not *quite* finished. some finishing touches here and there to make the guns look less flat, and I need to clean up the in-game guns quite a bit, although they're serviceable for the time being. I need to do the LAW, what's currently there is just a placeholder. I'm done with the bullets, grenades and I even gussied up the Rambo bow. Obviously, the weapon names are changed to match. They don't really mean anything, I just threw in whatever sci-fi jargon made sense in the context of the weapon and the way it looked, although anyone who has read Snow Crash will recognize the 'REASON' reference.
Time permitting, I'd also like to find a good sound library to provide it sounds that match. It's a little disconcerting to see a massive particle beam come out with a *BLAM!* rather than a *ZAP* or a *PEW! PEW!* or turning on your Vibroblade (which glows when used, by the way.) only to find it sounds like a chainsaw instead of a satisfying hum.

I am not going to bother with explosions or turrets. Too much work.

Just keep in mind that this mod does change *nearly* all of the weapon graphics - Muzzle flashes, clips, shells, grenades (cluster and normal)...yeah. you get the idea. All files are .bmp

http://www.2shared.com/file/9500412/1ea113f6/scifi.htmlml
^^
updated link

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:59:32 pm by NordOst »

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
Re: Science fiction conglomerate energy weapons (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:32:45 pm »
Looks really intresting i'll test it later.
BTW try to change that law, looks to default'ish

check that MU link looks like broken

Offline NordOst

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:54:16 pm »
Looks really intresting i'll test it later.
BTW try to change that law, looks to default'ish

check that MU link looks like broken

Yeah, like I said in the post, the LAW is just a temporary placeholder 'till i get a decent idea of how I should go about it.
The megaupload link is only temporarily broken, which is why I uploaded it to 2shared as well.

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 03:40:50 pm »
I must say - very FEAR2-esque. With that idea of weapons, you could do Project Origin mod, because it has similiar weapons in design. If you can do something what just resemble, you can easy do something what is for real resemblance.

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:29:40 pm »
Yay! somebody posted an interesting mod, looks nice I gotta say, Good work.

Offline NordOst

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:55:07 pm »
Updated LAW:

With oversized missile!

I also edited the m79 to look more like it does in the menu (before it was jsut a black box with a greend dot) and it's projectile, looked entirely too much like a swastika. I fixed that.
Arright. call this one done.

http://www.2shared.com/file/9500412/1ea113f6/scifi.html
^ contains the entire mod.

Megaupload's acting retarded.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:59:08 pm by NordOst »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: Science fiction conglomerate energy weapons
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:42:47 pm »
Ugh, you make me want to play Soldat again...

Offline fulro

• Camper
  • |F|ront-|U|ni de -|L|utte des-|R|aces-|O|pprimees
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:09:17 pm »
interesting...good to see new ppl on modding [pigtail]

Offline NordOst

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »
Ugh, you make me want to play Soldat again...

It would be nice to play with -people- instead of bots and children who vote you out of a game for not being totally incompetent.

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
  • I'm trigger happy, trigger happy!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 11:45:11 pm »
Oooooo!  ;D  They are so pretty. Its deffinatly unique and i like that. The "Thermal Arquebus" is my favorite. Can we expect gosteks and other goodies to top off the awesome weapons? I will download and test this soon!

::Edit::

Just got done playing around with it and i really like those weapons. There were colors flying all over the place. It was cool! I really like what you did to the grenades. They show up a lot better then the default ones do. Especially in maps with a lot of greenery. Another thing i liked is you can tell what gun your enemy is using just by the color and pattern of the bullets. It lets me be more tactical as to the gun/grenade/weapon i will use as i approach them. You guys should try this. Although i would love some sounds that match the Sci-Fi theme of the weapons.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:10:07 am by Cyrix »
""A man should look for "what is" instead of what he thinks should be"" -Albert Einstein-

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 01:09:19 am »
Sorry to be rude but i have only a small complaint.  :-X  Call it constructive criticism...  :)  All in all i really really like these guns... However... Some of the gray you use on a few of the weapons is almost exactly the same color as the background on a couple of maps. For example... using the Thermal Arquebus (my favorite) on a map such as Steel ( also one of my favorites) the gray is not seen. All you see is the red of the gun and it makes the gun look kinda weird.  :| Like i said. Small issue. It does not stop me from playing with it frequently... Just trying to help.  :-\
""A man should look for "what is" instead of what he thinks should be"" -Albert Einstein-

Offline NordOst

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 11:25:39 am »
It's been a while since i've worked on it, but i'll see what i can do about maybe using a two-tone grey so that it's more likely to show up on those sorts of backgrounds.

As far as gosteks go, there are ones out there that already fit the bill if I recall, and they're likely better than anything i'd be able to put out. I'll have a look at what's out there and if there isn't anything i'll maybe give it a shot.

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 05:16:03 pm »
I added the sparks-gfx from the Heretic mod to this one. It makes everything really colorfull. Lol. I love the weapons though. Still one of my favorite sets. Keep up the good work!

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 07:34:27 pm »
Wow, the railgun looks badass, and the bullet even better O_O
b&

Offline Xestor

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 02:56:57 am »
Imo the bullets look really cool and i can't agree with you. What can i say about weapons? Each looks good and i guess that i won't make a mistake when i will predict what weapon my enemy is using at some point. Everything was okay, if you would correct link to download, because i can't download it from there :(

EDIT: After some tests i can say that this mod is really god, but i had to spend much time, to replace weapons and bullets, because probably you badly packed it and it doesn't want to replace automatically
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:34:26 am by Xestor »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 08:00:35 pm »
argh, I just must have that barrett bullet D:, but the download link doesn't seem to work! anyone have this mod?

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 01:07:08 am »
Reupload for me too please.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 01:11:56 pm »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:17:13 pm by -Major- »

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 12:18:52 am »
Download still didn't work for me, reupload did, thanks brah.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs