Author Topic: Cushion poly  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
Re: Cushion poly
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 03:09:41 am »
Soldat is not just TW, TW is just a tiny small tiny part of soldat...

REALLY?
Fuck you, you're idea is shit. It has no ultimate use out side of of TW or really any R/S maps. Now fuck off with your useless ideas and stop trying to justify it's usefulness you sarcastic fuck scoff.
/end thread.
... are you dumb? or maybe you just can't read.

He never said this was for a subgamemode.

I stated that he may be talking about the maps tw_rage, because he has a parachute bug, and I was using it as an example.

Jesus.
Where else is it possibly useful?
Give me a though explanation to where it could possibly be useful anywhere else?

What is the point of adding something that doesn't completely affect the game, it's just adding unnecessary things, things that aren't a major contributor to gameplay.
Lol, internets.

Offline CrashMan

• Major
  • ... Is that so?
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 04:18:27 am »
Gah, it's pointless.
Just deal with it, It won't be added just to fix the falling on those maps. Soldat is not just TW, TW is just a tiny small tiny part of soldat, why would an entire new poly be added for such a small player base?

No way, waste of time.
Hey, Pie. How about a nice, warm, cup of shut-the-f***-up?

It's a harmless suggestion. Get off whatever high-horse you're on, and take it, AND your sorry attitude, and leave. After your absolutely disgusting rants, I feel you deserve to be beaten with a rusty spoon until you bleed.

Now, let's go to someone who can argue in a somewhat decent fashion.

I'm against cushion polys.

1. Keep injuring/dying from falling? That's your fault, learn to land safely or not jump from so high.

2. Parachute? That's the map's problem.

3. TW? It's not the only game mode. Besides, I'm sure there's a hospital nearby.

F11. Time could be used for other purposes.

You're against cushion polies because you feel that people are only going to use them to make up for their inability to save themselves from falling?

You're totally ignoring the fact that this poly could be used to better portray a realistic environment. Not all ground is hard.

Sand for instance, or snow. Or how about swampland? All of these are good examples of "soft" ground that would NATURALLY occur in a war zone.

Basically, what I'm hearing as far as arguements AGAINST "soft" polies goes, is: "Boo hoo, my enemy didn't die because he fell on SOFT GROUND. My god that sucks!"

I mean, you guys can explain all you like, but that's all I'M hearing...

The bigger point is, you all act as though you won't have a choice as to wether or not you will USE soft polies. I'm safe to assume most of us make our own maps, right? It's totally your choice wether you want to add them or not. If someone wants to make a map with a few of these around, then more power to them. That's their choice. If you don't want to, then don't. It's not obligatory.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 04:25:56 am by CrashMan »

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 04:31:34 am »
Gah, it's pointless.
Just deal with it, It won't be added just to fix the falling on those maps. Soldat is not just TW, TW is just a tiny small tiny part of soldat, why would an entire new poly be added for such a small player base?

No way, waste of time.
Hey, Pie. How about a nice, warm, cup of shut-the-f***-up?

It's a harmless suggestion. Get off whatever high-horse you're on, and take it, AND your sorry attitude, and leave. After your absolutely disgusting rants, I feel you deserve to be beaten with a rusty spoon until you bleed.

Now, let's go to someone who can argue in a somewhat decent fashion.

I'm against cushion polys.

1. Keep injuring/dying from falling? That's your fault, learn to land safely or not jump from so high.

2. Parachute? That's the map's problem.

3. TW? It's not the only game mode. Besides, I'm sure there's a hospital nearby.

F11. Time could be used for other purposes.

You're against cushion polies because you feel that people are only going to use them to make up for their inability to save themselves from falling?

You're totally ignoring the fact that this poly could be used to better portray a realistic environment. Not all ground is hard.

Sand for instance, or snow. Or how about swampland? All of these are good examples of "soft" ground that would NATURALLY occur in a war zone?

Basically, what I'm hearing as far as arguements AGAINST "soft" polies goes, is: "Boo hoo, my enemy didn't die because he fell on SOFT GROUND. My god that sucks!"

I mean, you guys can explain all you like, but that's all I'M hearing...

Okay, lets break it down.

So you're only reason behind your backing up is that it will make it more realistic?
Wake up, Just because something happens in real life doesn't mean it should happen in soldat. Yeah people fall into swamps and sand and they're fine Except they are more then likely CRIPPLED and now either fucked because of their broken limb and die of starvation, or they drown. You know, LIKE IN REAL LIFE.

I was also sure that in real life, people don't fly around with jets from their feet and shoot each other for no real motherfucking reason.

Yeah, I would say all of humanity isn't stupid, but that thought seems to be tarnished by your ignorance.

Can I ask where that was even said, in those exact words? Where did ANYONE say that it was because that all their hard work of shooting annoying cockface A would be then destroyed because their enemy inevitably survived a fall, which gives the player a chance to finish them off and get a kill. In fact, Now you're just talking out of your arse, well MORE SO.

Well i'm glad you're hearing something completely unrelated, Now kindly shut up, your reasoning is on par with peu, if not WORSE. At least peu doesn't post with absolute cockiness, as if he owned the fucking forums and therefor is king of his own fairyland, full of gumdrops and stupidity.

God the fisting zone should just be brought back so I can take out my anger on you and your stupid face there.

Bah.
Lol, internets.

Offline CrashMan

• Major
  • ... Is that so?
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 04:56:22 am »
Okay, lets break it down.
Lets.

So you're only reason behind your backing up is that it will make it more realistic?
Wake up, Just because something happens in real life doesn't mean it should happen in soldat. Yeah people fall into swamps and sand and they're fine Except they are more then likely CRIPPLED and now either fecked because of their broken limb and die of starvation, or they drown. You know, LIKE IN REAL LIFE.

Yeah, I would say all of humanity isn't stupid, but that thought seems to be tarnished by your ignorance.
I said these polies could be use to BETTER PORTRAY A REALISTIC ENVIRONMENT. Where in that sentence did I say Soldat should be completely realistic? Answer? I did not.

I don't really see what you're defending here. Are you saying Soldat is a game, and shouldn't be bogged down with realistic stuff?

Then why do our soldaten run and jump like normal people, and obey the laws of gravity, and even accellerate as they fall? Why do bullets gradually fall the farther they go, and why do some weapons have kickback?

Gosh, for a game that's totally fantasy, it sure seems realistic to me.

And guess what? In case that isn't realistic enough for you, we even have a REALISTIC mode, where people take damage from falling, and weapons have kickback to them.

In fact, the only part of this game that IS fantasy-like is that we fly around on jetboots (as you stated).

I was also sure that in real life, people don't fly around with jets from their feet
I'll give you that, but...

and shoot each other for no real motherfecking reason.
You either don't live in America, or you haven't lived here that long.

Either way, you are a sad, sad little man with a very pretty picture in his head of this world we all live in.

Can I ask where that was even said, in those exact words? Where did ANYONE say that it was because that all their hard work of shooting annoying cockface A would be then destroyed because their enemy inevitably survived a fall, which gives the player a chance to finish them off and get a kill. In fact, Now you're just talking out of your arse, well MORE SO.
You may ask. Nobody said those words specifically, but you seem pretty intent that people should die from falls if they can't save themselves. I have to wonder...

Well i'm glad you're hearing something completely unrelated, Now kindly shut up, your reasoning is on par with peu, if not WORSE. At least peu doesn't post with absolute cockiness, as if he owned the fecking forums and therefor is king of his own fairyland, full of gumdrops and stupidity.
Said the man who can't go 2 sentences without an insulting remark.

Please, go learn some manners.

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 05:07:31 am »
F12

Although I see little use for these on default soldat maps, they could be very good on custom made maps. Too bad there will be no new polies in new pollies :/

Offline CrashMan

• Major
  • ... Is that so?
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 05:08:51 am »
F12

Although I see little use for these on default soldat maps, they could be very good on custom made maps. Too bad there will be no new polies in new pollies :/
Yeeaah... I don't really see this happening, but it's a nice thought.

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 05:29:29 am »
Lets.
I said these polies could be use to BETTER PORTRAY A REALISTIC ENVIRONMENT. Where in that sentence did I say Soldat should be completely realistic? Answer? I did not.
Well it damn sounded like your justifications Implied that.. Nice backflip on the topic there.
I don't really see what you're defending here. Are you saying Soldat is a game, and shouldn't be bogged down with realistic stuff?

Then why do our soldaten run and jump like normal people, and obey the laws of gravity, and even accellerate as they fall? Why do bullets gradually fall the farther they go, and why do some weapons have kickback?

Sigh, Again you display your phenomenal ignorance, or stupidity, What i'm saying is that soldat shouldn't be made more realistic for the sake of being realistic. It's supposed to be an Arcade game, not a FULL REALISTIC UP THE ARSE game.
And guess what? In case that isn't realistic enough for you, we even have a REALISTIC mode, where people take damage from falling, and weapons have kickback to them.

In fact, the only part of this game that IS fantasy-like is that we fly around on jetboots (as you stated).
Okay, As I mentioned for the above, soldat is not supposed to be realistic, but to satisfy that particular group of people, the realistic game mode was conjured up like your apparent superiority from the depths of no where so people had a choice in what to play as and to keep those annoying bastards quiet.
and shoot each other for no real motherfecking reason.

Either way, you are a sad, sad little man with a very pretty picture in his head of this world we all live in.
And you're a knobface, small world eh?

You may ask. Nobody said those words specifically, but you seem pretty intent that people should die from falls if they can't save themselves. I have to wonder...
Well you go jump off of a 50 story building into a sandpit and see what happens.

Bite me.
Get some proper reasoning. In fact, you have had no real reason to inculde this, you just lurked around until someone said something for you to jump upon like a bulldog on a brand new sofa with the only intention to rip that person a new one in a feeble attempt to create some type of complete truth argument. So you can take your smarmy bollocks presumptions and fuck right off, in fact another thing that can fuck right off is your perceived attitude of snobbishness. You may be an apparent forum user, but you are not a familiar face to this forum, so instead of acting like your the king of the fucking universe, how about you stop and think about starting fights on the internet with your illogical thinking and acute head-stuck-up-the-arse attitude.

And to completely end this, you're a knob and I refuse to argue with you about something that will more than likely NOT be added, especially when you are insufferably arrogant, Even more then me.
Lol, internets.

Offline BRADEN

• Camper
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 06:41:11 am »
Why not fix the parachute bug than add this stupid feature?

Death is the solution to all problems. No man; no problem.
-Joseph Stalin

Offline Whitehouse

• Major(1)
  • Flag Protector
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 06:54:07 am »
WOW I SMELL WARINGS and maybe even BANS........

@topic: ehh, i could c something like this being useful in a CS map like being able to jump off a tall building into a pile of hay or something (ASSASSINS CREED MAPS ANYONE!!!!!)while the mapper is still able to keep the jet tics low or it could be used for the ppl in R/S who like to super man around and belly flop to the ground becuz most of the time they injure/kill them selves doing it and this would add even more strat/tacts to the R/S gamemode

Offline ViN

• Camper
  • Try, Fail, Repeat.
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 08:25:43 am »
Learn to late backflip.
F11.

Geekier than you!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 09:22:00 am »
Chill guys, chill...

Really, some of the suggestions are pretty weird when put into Soldat (especially in terms of the general, original game play). Also, how the suggestion was phrased can also give me a big impression too. The main problem that the topic starter was trying to solve is the parachute bug. Since it is the parachute bug, why not fix the parachute bug instead?

Yes, it is true that for some maps (Red spawn in Inf_Warehouse and Inf_Outpost for example), when you spawn, you are not supposed to have parachutes, but the height is just enough to hurt you. However, I also noticed something. The amount of time it takes for you to lose invulnerability and be able to shoot after spawning is more than the amount of time it takes to fall and get hurt. So why not make the invulnerability apply for falling as well, so you don't get hurt due to falling when you spawn? And if the time it takes to fall is almost the same as the invulnerability time or longer, then why not from that height and higher, add a parachute?

I am not completely or strongly against cushion polys, I just don't think it's very right for Soldat. I can understand what you mean when it comes to being realistic and making maps etc, but for the general game play, falling shouldn't be a problem, unless you have got blasted by an explosion or you get boosted because of the poly's bouncing feature.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:30:14 am by STM1993 »

Offline w00titsme

• Soldier
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 03:15:30 pm »
its a good idea but i dont thing it wuld fit

F11
How do you "thing it wuld not fit?"
I really don't think there's a way for a polygon to not fit into soldat...
Make your Coca Cola fresh!

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 05:01:37 pm »
its a good idea but i dont thing it wuld fit

F11
How do you "thing it wuld not fit?"
I really don't think there's a way for a polygon to not fit into soldat...

all the other polygons  seem to fit into the game quite nicely but....now that i read some of the other posts i think it could fit better than i had first thought Eg: swamps,snow and such

or possibly
Why not fix the parachute bug than add this stupid feature?

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 07:59:13 pm »
Really, I was hoping someone who actually knew of the soldat programming would answer... instead of Pie. Uselessness is a matter of opinion, the purpose of this section is to make suggestions, members come and will either f11 or f12.  Either a lot of people will support it, few, or none. Simple. So Pie, why don't you ease off?

I was thinking that it would be a matter of taking the collision data, comparing it to the polygon type, and multiplying damage by <1 for softer ground or 0 for a completely soft ground. But I don't know, as I said. But then, there already is the bouncy poly (oh so useful).

Another reason I want this implemented is for bunkers. It'd be nice to have a bunker lined with this kind of poly on the inside, so that outside explosions wouldn't kill the people inside. I'm tired of explosion area of effect not being affected by terrain. Since that probably won't be fixed anytime soon, this is the next alternative I can think of.
Similarly, there are places in maps where there is often a poly bug that randomly sends people hurtling towards another poly. Well, more tools for mappers to circumvent that.

Offline CrashMan

• Major
  • ... Is that so?
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 10:44:42 pm »
Lets.
Well it damn sounded like your justifications Implied that.. Nice backflip on the topic there.
You ASSUMED my justifications implied that. Contrary to the phrase, however, you're only making an ass out of "u".

Sigh, Again you display your phenomenal ignorance, or stupidity, What i'm saying is that soldat shouldn't be made more realistic for the sake of being realistic. It's supposed to be an Arcade game, not a FULL REALISTIC UP THE ARSE game.
Once again you missed the point. The polies won't even have any purpose in the main game. They'd only apply to REALISTIC mode, which is... SURPRISE... for gamers who want the game to be MORE REALISTIC! If you don't want the polies, don't play Realistic mode, or don't put them in your custom maps. It's really as simple as that.

Okay, As I mentioned for the above, soldat is not supposed to be realistic, but to satisfy that particular group of people, the realistic game mode was conjured up like your apparent superiority from the depths of no where so people had a choice in what to play as and to keep those annoying barstewards quiet.
I sound superior? The only difference I see is that, unlike you, I'm NOT being a total asshole and making cheap insults at you every 2 sentences.

So, if being POLITE makes me superior, then yes. I suppose I am.

And you're a knobface, small world eh?
Oh, by the way. Clever manipulation of the quote tags to change my name. Real smooth.

Well you go jump off of a 50 story building into a sandpit and see what happens.
That's a good point. Perhaps instead of a "soft" poly that negates damage altogether, a poly that lessens damage by a certain amount depending on it's "softness"? That way if you fall from too high up, you're still pretty much a dead man.

Bite me.
I'll pass. That sounds extremely uncomfortable for BOTH of us...

Get some proper reasoning. In fact, you have had no real reason to inculde this, you just lurked around until someone said something for you to jump upon like a bulldog on a brand new sofa with the only intention to rip that person a new one in a feeble attempt to create some type of complete truth argument. So you can take your smarmy bollocks presumptions and feck right off, in fact another thing that can feck right off is your perceived attitude of snobbishness. You may be an apparent forum user, but you are not a familiar face to this forum, so instead of acting like your the king of the fecking universe, how about you stop and think about starting fights on the internet with your illogical thinking and acute head-stuck-up-the-arse attitude.

And to completely end this, you're a knob and I refuse to argue with you about something that will more than likely NOT be added, especially when you are insufferably arrogant, Even more then me.
Hypocrit? I "uselessly" added a little remark about your attitude, so it's no different that you did the same, in SPADES?

And, like I said before. If I seem "smarmy" or "superior" to you, it's all just in your head. I find it odd how I sound like a pompous ass for (mostly) politely rebutting your arguement, but you feel totally justified taking cheap shots every 3.42 seconds. I wonder how much worse your arguing would sound if there were no censors in place on this board.

I just find it apalling that a man, nono... a CHILD as insulting and utterly rude and unmannered as you wanders this board without a single warning to his name. It baffles me. Completely.

Another reason I want this implemented is for bunkers. It'd be nice to have a bunker lined with this kind of poly on the inside, so that outside explosions wouldn't kill the people inside. I'm tired of explosion area of effect not being affected by terrain. Since that probably won't be fixed anytime soon, this is the next alternative I can think of.
Similarly, there are places in maps where there is often a poly bug that randomly sends people hurtling towards another poly. Well, more tools for mappers to circumvent that.
Cusion explosions? Weren't these polies originally meant to lessen the damage of falls in realistic mode?

... if so, how would you apply that to explosions?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:47:15 pm by CrashMan »

Offline amb2010

• Camper
  • Fear the dot ...
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 11:28:32 pm »
What he means when you are running around and a grenade explodes above you but doesnt actually hit you, you get pushed down into the ground killing yourself as if you fell... He wants it to make it so that doesnt happen.
And as the lyrics go in the United State's national anthem: "America, f**k YEAH!".

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »
What he means when you are running around and a grenade explodes above you but doesnt actually hit you, you get pushed down into the ground killing yourself as if you fell... He wants it to make it so that doesnt happen.

Well, if that's what he's trying to say...

That should only apply to that particular soft poly. No other polys.

I believe this impact pushing you down to the ground and killing you, should be made into a proper kill by another player (provided he actually nade boosted you to death). But then again, that kind of system can be a bit buggy.

One problem: What about bullets? Will they still ricochet in such soft ground?

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 07:19:55 am »
I have to say, this is unnecesary, but I don't see why you are so against it. This wouldn't be a feature to augment existing maps, but to make new ones. Ones that, say, you spawn on a roof and have to jump off, just because it's cool. Or cooler/different climb maps. Unnecesary, but most of the posters in this are like "DOOD NU FECHURE NOEZ!"
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 12:12:49 am »
I refuse to argue with you about something that will more than likely NOT be added..
Lol, internets.

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 03:10:52 am »
I refuse to argue with you about something that will more than likely NOT be added..
LMAO a lil late dont u think but i do agree with that statement                       P.S, nice new pic