Author Topic: (WM)TTW Public 1 crashes when there are too many people  (Read 801 times)

Offline Tanya Adams

• Major(1)
(WM)TTW Public 1 crashes when there are too many people
« on: June 05, 2008, 02:07:03 am »
I'm home for the summer (my first topic about it not working on my Laptop for more than 10 minutes still holds true, but I'm on my home desktop computer so it's not a problem anymore), and I've had time to play Soldat lately. I've gotten in to Trench War games lately. But there's one I found and fell in love with:
(WM)TTW Public 1

It's a (really fun) mod where everyone has a position and task, like general, artillery, radioman, medic, short range infantry, you get the picture. And each map has several positions that become spawn points for your team if your team's general goes there, types /conquer, and holds it for 6 seconds. So it combines the involvement of Trench War (and then some) with incremental goals and specific tasks, abilities, and strengths.

Usually, it's empty. But every so often I get on (usually I'm the first one on), and someone else joins, and another, and another. It's not really a proper game until you at least have 4 or 6 players.  But, while it says it has a player limit of 10, things start getting weird after about 5 players. Sometimes it'll just suddenly disconnect (and at the lobby, the ping jumps to 9999), and just today the map went weird and people started dying randomly.

So, this is mainly a bug report, and a shout out to whoever hosts the server to get cracking!

Besides that, is there any way I could learn more about the server, or anything I could do to help? I really love it, and it'd be great if it was more stable and maybe even be able to host 10 or 12 people without incident, but it says it's already a dedicated server, it has a T1 connection, and a low ping of 62, so it doesn't seem like the server's at fault.

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
Re: (WM)TTW Public 1 crashes when there are too many people
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:33:04 am »
So, this is mainly a bug report, and a shout out to whoever hosts the server to get cracking!
That'd be me. There's really nothing wrong about the server's net connection as far as I know, instead I'd assume that it's caused by a huge script and the general instability of the Soldat server's scripting core. As for "learn more about the server", could just come ask those questions on the SBX forum.

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:45:33 pm »
could this be a bandwidth problem?

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »
for more info about ttw check ttwforums.com
we have another USA based server too. weve tried a lot to make the script more stable, but it just wont work. so far weve had only 1 stable server, and that was leo's ttw, which is gone now.
talk to the developers at ttwforums.com, #soldat.ttw and #ttw.gather on quakenet :)

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:39:41 pm »
Yes, what you described sounds like the script core crashing. I'm still working on it, but the problem is that none of the bugs show up without many players, and it's very hard to track down bugs that are hard to reproduce.

If you like it, you might want to join the gather channel on iRC, there's a thread on the forum Bombski` just mentioned that tells you how to get there. There we have matches with set teams, and as far as I know it has never crashed during a match there before.

What is odd is that the script seems to behave rather well on the gather server, which is a simple XP machine. And it used to be fine on Leo's too. I am also unable to reproduce the crashes on TTW #1 or #2 on my own machine.

Thanks for the compliment though ;)

Date Posted: June 05, 2008, 06:12:51 pm
Just so y'know, we cleaned some stuff up to make it eat less memory. Seems to be more stable now.
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com