Author Topic: DM Verdant  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
DM Verdant
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:11:50 pm »
DM Verdant

Quick map made from a sketch I had laying around in my room for around
a week.  Spent a little under 3 hours working on it.  Flowers were made
out of cloud.bmp's and rope.bmp's.  Supports RM and PM, but not HTF.
Waypointed.

(Large Overview)
Screenshots: 1|2

|-\Download/-|

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:18:46 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: DM Verdant
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:42:46 pm »
I like it but its a little simple. Nothing really special about it, kindof overused layout (the general idea I mean), and a lack of scenery. I guess it could be OK but it doesnt really seem like something I'd enjoy very much.

I don't like the green color either.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 01:35:44 am »
What a cozy little map. I really like it, and I think the simplicity is awesome. Plus, the sort of changing coloration works really well with me as well. Excellent DM map, I'll say. Well done :)
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:05:41 pm »
I feel the green is a little too saturated at the bottom; though I suspect you're probably done with it, it would be neat to try experimenting instead more with the browns in the bottoms of the floating boulders rather than going for such a strong green (either that or litter it with more trees and other vegetation to portray even more growth than just grass). Speaking of rocks, it seems like something could be done about the four tiny ones—maybe make rounder, or thinner and spikier, MrSnowman-style. They feel too artificial while the rest of the map is all natural.

Great layout :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 02:10:11 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:26:28 pm »
Speaking of rocks, it seems like something could be done about the four tiny ones—maybe make rounder, or thinner and spikier, MrSnowman-style. They feel too artificial while the rest of the map is all natural.

Actually, those aren't rocks, they're sandbags.  They all are.

This wasn't a serious project.  I'm already pleased with how it is now, so I'm just gonna leave it alone (though I appreciate your criticism).

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 03:52:37 pm »
I hope you're still happy with what you've made. I get tired of my own recent maps pretty quick :/

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 12:45:16 am »
^^ I meant the actual floating boulders, the ones composed of polygons. I've been playing Soldat too long to not be able to recognize sandbags from a distance, man. :P

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 02:51:04 am »
Ahh.  The fact that you said rocks instead of floating structures made me assume you were talking about the sandbags.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:16:10 pm »
I always refer to suspended terrain (especially smaller chunks) as rocks or boulders, never scenery, ever.
I must've been gone a LONG time, huh?

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:22 am »
The small boulders look a bit crippled compared to the massive platforms. Pars up with some default DM maps for sure, then again, it's nigh' impossible getting a playtest on a DM map.