Author Topic: Get rid of the m79  (Read 20204 times)

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: Get rid of the m79
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 02:39:54 pm »
Play on bigger maps. Problem solved.
I support this statement.

Honestly, on pubs you might see a lot of m79's floating around, and that might get annoying, but when the game is done and switches to Bunker or something, it will immediately change to long-range guns. In all the gathers and CW's I've played, the only map that consistantly leads to m79 wars is Nuubia.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 03:47:27 pm »
How to beat a m79er:
Stay out of range and spray. If you run again someone with a rush weapon you will die. Most people that use m79s won't know how to truly master its curve and won't get the maximum range. Just toss a magazine at them and by the time you reload they should be dead unless you really suck.
@ii

Offline Sir Jeremy

• Flagrunner
  • Eurolicous!
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 06:24:53 pm »
Yup, Cross is right.  There are so many ways of countering an m79er.  You can just dodge or spray them.   And ya Spray them..till they die.

- Jeremy

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 06:30:39 pm »
Or snipe them... I dunno I always found that a good way... so it's like

1) Run low route, charge straight into a kamikazee M79er
2) Grab a barrett at spawn, jump to low route, crouch and wait
3) Here comes the flippin grenadier himself!
4) Shoot.  HIT.  Don't Miss.
5) Problem solved.

If you're dying to take it away, disable it and create your own server.
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 06:39:22 am »
Those are some quite lame and non-global ways to counter the M79 problem. Keep thinking if you want to prevent an upcoming rebalance.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 09:07:15 am »
Well, the M79 is the only ranged 1-hitter without startup time... and adding startup time has been suggested a lot of times but never implemented. Startup time seems to solve the problem, yet it is a pretty bad idea in itself at the same time.

Then there is lowered bullet push, which is indirectly making M79 much better since it can get up close more easily. I don't see how bink and movementacc is affecting the M79 much.

Then there's reload time. We can actually say that's pretty fast for a 1-hitter weapon. Then there's bullet speed. I don't know, but I don't really think the speed needs to be reduced any further, but about the "you move faster and the m79 shot moves faster", that should be changed to constant at every speed.

Then there's the damage. The damage of the M79 is fine, but is the self-damage enough? But we can't possibly make it so high that it kinda defeats the purpose of a m79 jump.

M79's really hard to balance by itself, it's more of boosting or nerfing the other weapons.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 09:22:52 am by STM1993 »

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 09:42:40 am »
Well, the M79 is the only ranged 1-hitter without startup time... and adding startup time has been suggested a lot of times but never implemented. Startup time seems to solve the problem, yet it is a pretty bad idea in itself at the same time.
The startup time on the barret is reasonable because MM doesn't want it to be a rush weapon, its a sniper rifle. However m79 is a rush weapon and often shots need to be take split-second.  Start up time is a horrible idea because, it's a nerf that is for a weapon completely different than what the m79 is.

Then there is lowered bullet push, which is indirectly making M79 much better since it can get up close more easily. I don't see how bink and movementacc is affecting the M79 much.
It does a bit but since its only one bullet all you have to do it dodge and wait. 
Then there's reload time. We can actually say that's pretty fast for a 1-hitter weapon.
Fast? You can unload all or most of a magazine while an m79er is reloading. I know this because I get killed reloading alot.

Then there's bullet speed. I don't know, but I don't really think the speed needs to be reduced any further, but about the "you move faster and the m79 shot moves faster", that should be changed to constant at every speed.
People complained about it when the speed was constant. Anyway because this argument seems completely retarded to me I am going to twat and moan about it starting now:

Speed doesn't matter, as an m79er I keep my back on one side of the screen so I can see whoever is coming and know what to do by the time they are in range. If you are dumb enough to run up on a m79er in anything but a very open environment the bullet could be going negative miles and hour and you would still die. Again if you ACTUALLY TRY TO DODGE YOU WILL LIVE!!! I am amazed at how many idiots don't know how to use the backflip when a m79er come on screen. Hell I can even dodge m79ers in tunnels now.

Then there's the damage. The damage of the M79 is fine, but is the self-damage enough? But we can't possibly make it so high that it kinda defeats the purpose of a m79 jump.
Then we would have to take nade jumping out as well.

M79's really hard to balance by itself, it's more of boosting or nerfing the other weapons.
There are only 2 weapons that are one hit kills. Those are to counter the wave of semi-autos and autos. I change my playing style depending on what I encounter. Nothing needs to be balanced but the general IQ.

Bleh
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 09:51:49 am by † »
@ii

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 12:27:55 pm »
Then there's bullet speed. I don't know, but I don't really think the speed needs to be reduced any further, but about the "you move faster and the m79 shot moves faster", that should be changed to constant at every speed.
People complained about it when the speed was constant. Anyway because this argument seems completely retarded to me I am going to twat and moan about it starting now:

Really? I've played since 1.0.2b and I didn't notice. Anyhoo, people complain a lot more about it now that the speed is dynamic.

Speed doesn't matter, as an m79er I keep my back on one side of the screen so I can see whoever is coming and know what to do by the time they are in range. If you are dumb enough to run up on a m79er in anything but a very open environment the bullet could be going negative miles and hour and you would still die.

Speed does matter. With the current M79, enemies will enter your range the same time they enter the screen. In pre-1.2 versions your forward range while rushing was short enough to almost damage yourself on the splash damage. You're saying this differance isn't doing anything to weaken the M79's offensive capabilities?

Again if you ACTUALLY TRY TO DODGE YOU WILL LIVE!!! I am amazed at how many idiots don't know how to use the backflip when a m79er come on screen. Hell I can even dodge m79ers in tunnels now.

If dodging would help one survive, M79 wouldn't be insanely popular, even in sctfl. And I can't rely on every soldat player to read your comment here. The game should achieve balance itself without having to tell everyone what to do.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 02:26:23 pm »
Again if you ACTUALLY TRY TO DODGE YOU WILL LIVE!!! I am amazed at how many idiots don't know how to use the backflip when a m79er come on screen. Hell I can even dodge m79ers in tunnels now.

If dodging would help one survive, M79 wouldn't be insanely popular, even in sctfl. And I can't rely on every soldat player to read your comment here. The game should achieve balance itself without having to tell everyone what to do.
You shouldn't have to tell everyone what to do, they should figure it out themselves.

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 03:05:49 pm »
What a simple game, and what complicated research on it...

If you get hit, you die. If you don't, it's your enemy's mistake. You take advantage of it.

It's a cruel world, survival is the key. The winners are mostly guys with lots of luck and no skill, like me ):O

Offline w00titsme

• Soldier
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 05:52:55 pm »
Soldat isn't fun anymore, every server i log onto its always the same old $hit of people running around with the noob cannon blasting at close range or spawn killing with it.
M79 takes away a fun game of skillfull shooting and replaces it with a one button explosion fest that you can't escape from and where every noob can be a pro.

It's annoying, get rid of it.
That is all.

;)

Secret weapon of the veteran nabs, the one true anti-m79 weapons: Barrett
Make your Coca Cola fresh!

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 06:26:48 am »

You shouldn't have to tell everyone what to do, they should figure it out themselves.

Indeed, but apparently they aren't figuring out to dodge, or dodging just isn't working as well as some hope it would.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 08:44:12 am »
Backflip+inverted backflip for the newbies. If they're any good with it, they'll expect that and wait for you to reach the slow point of the backflip, so be patient and unpredictable. And try not to have to reload; that'll just make them rush you because they know you're vulnerable. Which works both ways. Typically, if they miss (which, with such a short range, is pretty likely unless you're fucking retarded and face them in a tunnel without roof hugging or something) they're dead. A frantic nadespam will probably follow, further raising the reload time and pretty much guaranteeing a kill.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 09:17:24 pm »
This reminds me that I do think M79 needs a startup time, only one that doesn't have it, it just makes sense. But really, M79 is only good if you are close/above them for most players, and backlfips are very useful at getting above them.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 03:17:16 am »
Lord Frunkamunch, this isn't a guide forum. Keep the discussion about M79's balance.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 09:16:41 am »
I don't see how you could weaken the M79 without making it just downright suck. The average soldat pub player is a bit too thick to adapt any other strategy than running right for him guns blazing.

Let them realize that the m79 is only effective at short range and they won't get blasted over and over.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 12:07:30 pm »
I don't see how you could weaken the M79 without making it just downright suck.

Yea. Its either overpowered or underpowered.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 12:54:31 pm »
Lord Frunkamunch, this isn't a guide forum. Keep the discussion about M79's balance.

But looking purely at stats people could say the m79 was overpowered. Hell, the entire basis for most of the "ban the m79" dipsh*ts' arguments are that the m79 is some sort of godlike, undodgeable, point-and-click killing machine.

Also, have you noticed that all of these topics end up with the OP saying something ridiculous and everyone else trying to convince him he's wrong? I guess this is kinda hypocritical after me trying to pander to the nonexistent people who want the m79 banned and would change their opinion after learning how to dodge (because anyone who doesn't instantly realize that they're idiots for suggesting something like that is probably borderline retarded anyway) but...why do we even keep these topics alive when the anti-m79ists are a blatant minority?
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline chronosparadox

• Major(1)
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 12:55:30 pm »
Learn how to dodge better, because that reload time on the m79 is your chance to take them out.
If they spawn kill with it, use those few seconds of invincibility to your advantage, Kamikaze with grenades, or run straight into them. You won't get the kill, but hey, they aren't spawn killing anymore, are they?

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 03:43:35 pm »
I don't see how you could weaken the M79 without making it just downright suck.

Yea. Its either overpowered or underpowered.
That's what they said about statup time for barret. Everyone thought it would become useless. Again, it would make it harder to do all the "noob" tactics, but people could learn, it would just be harder.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace