Author Topic: Get rid of the m79  (Read 20206 times)

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
Re: Get rid of the m79
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 04:22:45 am »
I actually think the M79 is a fair weapon. I'm an Automatics + Barrett user, but I do occasionally use the M79. It's great fun. When you pull of a ripper of a shot while flying backwards, they're supermanning down, boom headshot. Explosion. Death. It's so much fun. There is plenty of ways to avoid an M79 shot, so it's fair in that aspect. Besides, look at an M79ers Kill death ratio, it's nearly always 1/1. They will get a kill then die, as they reload, unless they quickly shuffle back, realod then charge forward again, but then they waste good get-the-f***cking-flag time. It's fair. Get a weapon like the barrett, kill them, then you will die as you wait for the next shot to be ready. That's fair too. Get the Ak, you can kill them usually in about 12-20 shots (if you're good). I find that I become better a soldat the more I play with other weapons, but sometimes being a good old M79er is great fun. Besides, it fulfills soldats purpose (for me): A fun game of 2D explosive bloody death. Where would it be without blood flying out as you cleave them in half with a barrett shot, or blow them up with a hail of nades and M79 shots?

Join a TW server, no M79 and nice flowing gameplay. The M79 is fine, you just don't see the fun in it.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 08:41:21 am »
M79 is a very extreme weapon, but it is also easily one of the most player-dependent weapon.

You got an experienced M79er + not so good players, it's gonna be super overpowered.
But if you got any M79er + experienced players, it's gonna seem like an easy freekill.

So I don't see how the M79 can be balanced weapon stat-wise... even if it can it's pretty tough. Make that small nerf, it's even more underpowered, make that little buff, it's even more overpowered. Make too many changes, and it's not a M79 anymore.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:43:04 am by STM1993 »

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 08:34:38 pm »
Sniper, get used to it. M79 has the worst range in all of the weapons of soldat. All you have to do is to stay away from that fecker, it's really easy once you know how to dodge them. 
*TIP* When both of you and the m79'er are on the ground, make sure you either back flip jump or just jump as fast as you can. That's one of the easiest way to dodge m79.

But STM, I don't really think m79 is the best weapon........ But it IS one of the great weapon in soldat.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:37:18 pm by tehsnipah »
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 02:43:54 am »
It's annoying, get rid of it.
No.

Offline $niper

• Major(1)
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 09:34:38 am »
Its not about dodging it, i mainly use sniper rifle and end up with the most kills and the least deaths at the end of each round purely because i can dodge peoples attacks well but if you're moving forward and an m79 noob is moving forward at the same time, when your both in view you have no time to react to his grenade flying at you so 80% of the time you just explode before being able to evade.
And thats what annoys me.

$niping|Ninja

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 03:51:15 pm »
Hey guys, I was thinking of a suggestion for the M79 startup time. I don't think it's a good idea at all but I'd like to share this random idea anyway.

You know, the typical startup time is holding down the mouse button, and M79 is a one-shot one-kill one-ammo gun right?

The M79 will always reload halfway, it won't reload all the way. So the M79 looks as though its open and unloaded, the sound you'll hear when reloading is just the opening on the M79. The trick is, if you press the shoot button, it will reload the M79 fully. You'll hear the sound of the Soldat fitting the projectile into the M79 and closing it up, and the animation also shows the Soldat closing it up. As soon as he has loaded and the fireinterval of 6 is over, he will instantly fire, whether you like it or not.

The trick is, once you start, you cannot stop. And if you stop, you have to start all over. So if you attempt to backflip, switch weapon or whatever that slows down the reload animation, the process of loading the M79 and then shooting it will be completely canceled and the reload will go back to halfway the reload. And the total startup time is 45 ticks (about how long the sound lasts when you hear the ending part of the M79 reload, where you hear the Soldat load and close the M79) + 6 fireinterval.

If you have fired, you go through the half-reload process again. Oh, if you don't want to accidentally backflip etc, just hold down the shoot button.

^ So how's this VERY random suggestion?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:57:29 pm by STM1993 »

Offline w00titsme

• Soldier
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 04:47:49 pm »
How about we just get rid' of joo. :D
Make your Coca Cola fresh!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:35 am »

Lol, I knew this random idea was purely terrible XD

All in all, M79 is actually pretty balanced, whether anyone likes it or not. It is just how someone uses the M79 that determines how weak or strong this gun seems to be. I don't think it'd need any changes, but if there must, then 8th's idea of having a fixed projectile speed despite moving faster/slower yourself would be good, as well as a little increased bink since bink barely affects the M79.

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:39 am »
..., as well as a little increased bink since bink barely affects the M79.

At this point I would think the oppisite. The only reason bink has been juiced up version after version is because there are no other meaningful ways to nerf it through the weapons.ini.

Offline Scarab

• Soldier
  • I don't have personal text.
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:03 pm »
Soldat isn't fun anymore, every server i log onto its always the same old $hit of people running around with the noob cannon blasting at close range or spawn killing with it.
M79 takes away a fun game of skillfull shooting and replaces it with a one button explosion fest that you can't escape from and where every noob can be a pro.

It's annoying, get rid of it.
That is all.

;)

If m79 was a person you'd be dead.

You'd be dead even if it was a weapon anyway...
I don't have a signature

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2008, 02:49:53 pm »

At this point I would think the oppisite. The only reason bink has been juiced up version after version is because there are no other meaningful ways to nerf it through the weapons.ini.
Imho STM said that bink barely affects m79 *now*; with +15 bink, it's going to make a difference.

Offline X74

• Major(1)
  • SHOOP DA WOOP!
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2008, 09:51:09 pm »
Well so far the M79 actually has more disadvantages then advantages in Soldat.Its slow,has a long reload time,its short range.Advantages are,it's powerful and it's an explosive.
Text may not be of a larger size than the default.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 01:55:57 am »
Well so far the M79 actually has more disadvantages then advantages in Soldat.Its slow,has a long reload time,its short range.Advantages are,it's powerful and it's an explosive.
Number of disadvantages and advantages doesn't matter.
Their 'weight' does.
Oh and btw it isn't really slow and short range while rushing...

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2008, 03:02:29 am »
Yeah, while rushing... the "short range" and speed of bullet doens't matter.
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2008, 04:29:14 am »

Imho STM said that bink barely affects m79 *now*; with +15 bink, it's going to make a difference.

Yeah, but is high bink a necessary nerf after the muzzle velocity has been made constant? The reason for the bink being added on it in the first place will be removed.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2008, 07:55:56 am »
But will you remove the bink completely, or leave it as it is?

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 09:06:06 am »
How could I possibly know that in advance? :Q

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 07:59:04 pm »
M79 is a little overpowered, but it isnt THAT bad. Id rather play M79ers on here than laggers on Soldier Front. I stand a better chance against m79ers.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2008, 09:07:38 am »
Don't know if I'm flaming or not, but dude, shut the fuck up, STM knows a lot more than you about soldat......
Guys, stop with m79. It may be a gay weapon for some players, but this is why you have different weapons to counter other weapons. If I was able to mod the m79, I would only change the startup time(increase about 1sec?). That's all I want, nothing else.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2008, 11:11:08 am »
Don't know if I'm flaming or not, but dude, shut the feck up, STM knows a lot more than you about soldat......
Guys, stop with m79. It may be a gay weapon for some players, but this is why you have different weapons to counter other weapons. If I was able to mod the m79, I would only change the startup time(increase about 1sec?). That's all I want, nothing else.

8th and quite a number of others definitely know better than me, and I mainly use theories not so much of practical work.

Anyway, it comes down to two things for 8th to decide:

Either it sticks to the way it is, or the dynamic bullet speed is removed.