23 (21.5%)
F12
26 (24.3%)
F12, but saw only
55 (51.4%)
F12, but guns only
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Saw while backflipping  (Read 8711 times)

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
Re: Saw while backflipping
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 07:29:11 am »
It's the goddamn saw. No one gets any kills with it anyways, it needs every bonus it can get.
Youre cery wrong sir, many people use saw nowdays, including me.
Text goes here...

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 07:41:53 am »
It's the goddamn saw. No one gets any kills with it anyways, it needs every bonus it can get.
Youre cery wrong sir, many people use saw nowdays, including me.
Just because you use it doesn't mean you get epic amounts of kills with it... ???
Lol, internets.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 07:45:03 am »
And why would you say that? Have you ever played with me? No... Ask ANYONE who played with me recently. About 30% of my kills are with saw.
Text goes here...

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 02:22:39 pm »
<3 Contra F12.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 03:05:18 pm »
Bond, How does any of that affect the ability to saw during a backflip?

and the weapon is not used for just slowing people down...  It CAN be used to slow people down, but team tactics are not what this idea is for.  

This idea is aimed towards people who saw vs other sawers, not nessecarily gunners.  Put it this way, there are few manouvers that one can choose when making direct saw contact with an enemy.  As a matter of fact, only one element of soldat movement is involved in sawing.  The prone position.  Of course theres jumping, but that is involved in all of soldat, its common sense.  The idea of introducing backflipping into saw moves opens the door to more opportunities and options during a saw to saw confrontation.  Along with that, it CAN be used on gunners (cannon ball saw strike ftw?)
WHAT I AM saying is that this idea is trying to CHANGE the purpose of the saw as tactical tool. You're trying to make it more efficient as a killer while I am saying that the saw's purpose can be seen as more strategical.

And it would take a shinyfooload of buffs to finally make the saw a killer. Keep it as a tactical tool.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 03:05:56 pm »
'Have chainsaw keep firing even when the player engages in animation, be it rolling, backflipping, proning and unproning, yadda-yadda'.

why just limit it to the flip.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 06:29:30 pm »
Bond, How does any of that affect the ability to saw during a backflip?

and the weapon is not used for just slowing people down...  It CAN be used to slow people down, but team tactics are not what this idea is for. 

This idea is aimed towards people who saw vs other sawers, not nessecarily gunners.  Put it this way, there are few manouvers that one can choose when making direct saw contact with an enemy.  As a matter of fact, only one element of soldat movement is involved in sawing.  The prone position.  Of course theres jumping, but that is involved in all of soldat, its common sense.  The idea of introducing backflipping into saw moves opens the door to more opportunities and options during a saw to saw confrontation.  Along with that, it CAN be used on gunners (cannon ball saw strike ftw?)
WHAT I AM saying is that this idea is trying to CHANGE the purpose of the saw as tactical tool. You're trying to make it more efficient as a killer while I am saying that the saw's purpose can be seen as more strategical.

And it would take a shinyfooload of buffs to finally make the saw a killer. Keep it as a tactical tool.

This is keeping it a tactical tool.  The change wont affect gunplay much, but give Chainsaw face-offs more options.  I am not trying to make it more efficient as a killer, only a pro climber or someone very good on their feet could pull off such a kill against, say, an MP5 or spas user.  See it has little to do with its tactical use on an open playing field.

Player since late 2007

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 12:03:28 am »
would overpower saw. It would affect gameplay because sawers will be able to radically change the direction of their movement while still being effective in killing. You can't even reload while backflipping, why would you be able to kill? If the argument is for the simplicity of just keeping a saw running, consider the ease of holding a trigger. More so, it's easy to do tiny backflips, this would allow the sawer to easily kill everyone around them with the flip. If that's what you want, how is this not unbalanced?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:06:10 am by Peu »

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 12:11:56 am »
I fail to see how this would make the saw overpowered, considering every other weapon in the game has a range advantage.  It'd be a drop in the pond.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 01:25:00 am »
F12 FTW!!!!!!

I HAVE A DREAM.....

And Hair|Trigger posted it.

Ok... I agree with F11 to guns, because backflip is evasive / agility move, not a uber movie trick move where the guy with the sniper does a no-hand cartwheel and shoots a guy in the fase.

But with saw, I'd actually like to see it extended to being able to hew someone's head off while backflipping, rolling, and all that like Demonic said.  I personally defaultly use knife due to more versatility and because of CWs and gathers.  But in pubs if my aim is off, I saw and many times I do cannon into someone while clicking... not a good experience. 

SO yeah F12 to saw but not guns
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 02:35:41 pm »
I fail to see how this would make the saw overpowered, considering every other weapon in the game has a range advantage.  It'd be a drop in the pond.

Every other weapon has a range advantage, because the chainsaw is an instant kill weapon which can run continuously for many seconds... and has a range bigger than it pretends to.

Why do you people pick saws if you have a problem with the range? It's a chainsaw, switch to it when you're close or something. Backflipping and rolling allow you to generate momentum and maintain momentum while also evading, you find this only mildly useful?

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 09:51:33 am »
More so, it's easy to do tiny backflips, this would allow the sawer to easily kill everyone around them with the flip. If that's what you want, how is this not unbalanced?

Are you kidding? That's impossible to the point of saying that the LAW is overpowered because you could potentially kill the entire enemy team with a single explosion.

*edit*

Backflipping and rolling allow you to generate momentum and maintain momentum while also evading, you find this only mildly useful?

Anyone else can use the same tactics to evade the saw, all while pushing the sawer back with bullets. Are you assuming in your imaginary example that the sawer is the only skilled person in the match?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:53:43 am by Lord Frunkamunch »
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 03:46:20 pm »
Yes - the disadvantage to the saw is range. Just like any other weapon would have a disadvantage.

1) Pushing back with bullets. This goes for any short range weapon. Consider the M79. You will beat it 80% of the time with an auto if you take a step back and unload.

2) Easy to evade. Yes. But this is totally dependent on your opponent's skill and situation. Maybe your opponent is distracted and does not notice you sneak up. Maybe your opponent is a noob and mistimed their dodge. To aid you, you could always try coming in at different angles to give you better chances. Find a blindside OR the most exposed side (so even if they backflip out you can still reach them). AND REMEMBER when backflipping the opponent can't shoot and that gives you precious time to call the shots.

What advantages does the saw carry?
Like I explained - intimidation and 'distracting' the opponent.

Like peu explained - constant 1-hit kill motion that can slice open a horde of enemies in one move.

and that brings me to the third point - the saw is more capable of killing large groups of enemies than any other weapon

----

Ok so the point of that ^^^^^ speech was to hopefully explain why the saw is not at a bigger disadvantage than any other weapon
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 04:21:59 pm »
Every other weapon has a range advantage, because the chainsaw is an instant kill weapon which can run continuously for many seconds... and has a range bigger than it pretends to.

Why do you people pick saws if you have a problem with the range? It's a chainsaw, switch to it when you're close or something. Backflipping and rolling allow you to generate momentum and maintain momentum while also evading, you find this only mildly useful?

"range bigger than it pretends to"?  Sounds like a problem with lag to me.

And I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  It's not about extending the range, just the functionality.  You'd have to be as close to the person while back flipping as you would moving forward.  Not to mention you could just as easily end up getting shot while caught in the animation.

And I never said I found this only mildly useful.  I said it wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of balance.  As in, I highly doubt this would lead to scores of people complaining about total and utter saw domination.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 06:34:49 pm »
I think the saw is already balanced.

Offline Xagonix

• Major(1)
  • Asian Pride!
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 08:17:36 pm »
In some games, when you backflip while shooting guns you shoot all over the place.

That should apply nicely here. :)
-[ The Xienator ]-

Playing Soldat since 1.3

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:56 am »
I think the saw is already balanced.

You really cant call a secondary weapon "balanced".  Particularly the saw because it does not have use as a projectile unlike every other gun.   

I think of it like this:  the saw's huge diversity from the other weapons is it's balance margin.  If you added a small tweak (like this one)  to it, you will never notice it has been upped by such a small amount.  This mean, it's change is within the balance margin, because it is simply so different you wouldnt even think of balancing it to, say, the steyr or ruger.  The only way to get it out of it's large balance margin is if it was insanely oversized or was able to be used as a long range projectile (e.g. thrown like the knife).  Edit:  Thats just being one dimensional, there's also the problem that, how will you know what an "under-balanced" chainsaw is?

This suggestion has no effect on the balance of the saw in general.  It will give more options to people who are confronted to saw vs. saw.  If your not skilled (or dont know anything about) competitive saw wars you have no right to say no because chances are you dont understand. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:27:09 am by Hair|Trigger »

Player since late 2007

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:45 am »
Saw is too much underpowered in cw and such, could use additional power ups.

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 07:53:05 am »
f12....

adding this to saw will be cool but for guns its a nonsense

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 05:14:02 pm »
YES, YES and ABSOLUTELY YES! F12!

This would truly not just extend the funcionality of the saw, but make it even more cooler and funner to use. Doing a barrel roll while sawing would be epic.

But this feature would only suit saw.