Author Topic: OverPro  (Read 9900 times)

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
Re: OverPro
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 02:40:11 am »
God, stop ranting about how some parts were used to make an original mod.
In art, a person may look at another artists work and come up with a great idea from it, that's inspiration. But someone can also take another artists work, the very idea of that work and appropriate it and change or alter specific parts of it, yet the artwork is considered original and good. Even if he used other parts from other people, he appropriated those said mods and created something original from them, it's not as if he got a single mod and just posted it here without changing parts of it. That's plagiarism, but what he has done is NOT.

Stop ranting about how he is crap and how his mod is "stolen" because it's not stoledn it's just used  and appropriated to create something else.

Idiots.
Lol, internets.

Offline det

• Major
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 02:53:24 am »
Thank you Pie. I am realy glad, that someone can understand my position.
I like your avatar :P

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 11:27:42 am »
I like it too so I am now using it in my sig, but I made changes to it and I think it's better now.

But someone can also take another artists work, the very idea of that work and appropriate it and change or alter specific parts of it, yet the artwork is considered original and good.
Idiots.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 11:46:02 am »
Unless people believe that the content in the mod was made by the person who put the mod together.

Ah, Mangled. Always standing for the rights of people too damn stupid to read the original post. Or the subsequent 20 whining about it.

There are a lot of people who have tried to pass off other peoples work as their own

Which instantly makes this guy one of them? It doesn't happen that often, and when it does it's blown to a proportion you'd almost think people CARE about this shit.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 12:49:31 pm »
Well forgive us if some of us are a bit egotistical; we get annoyed to see people leeching off of others' efforts. You could argue that, yea, people will recognize the fact that the weapons in here are clearly others', but there's that silent group of people who don't read things that will recognize the weapons as 'belonging to det and OverPro, not to their original creators.' That gets on my nerves [yes, arguably, it's my nerves and not the creators; who knows, probably the original creators are fine with it].

You've never put quite so much work into your mod as some of us have, Frunk [resizing and fixing isn't quite as intensive as making from scratch] so it's natural that you'd put less importance on, I guess, the value of labor on these things, haha. For some of us that have spend an annoying amount of time to make something 'good,' though, seeing our work then repackaged in 30 minutes by some 'random wanker' seems, well, a bit disrespectful.

Understandably, though, det just wanted to share his way of enjoying Soldat with the community. My opinion is that this method isn't the best way to do it and that personal mod mixes are usually best left as a personal thing.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Stryder

• Major(1)
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 04:51:37 pm »
nice i like it downloading atm

Offline ZMX

• Major(1)
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 08:48:29 pm »
Sweet, a modpack.

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 08:49:32 pm »
LOL, "pro-modders."

You people don't even know the meanings of words you use... Pro is short for professional, which means you get paid to do something. NOBODY here gets paid to make mods.

I find it rather interesting and amusing how I got flamed all to hell when I released a compliation in which I actually redid all the ingame gun sprites AND made my own gostek. Not that I think this guy deserves all that, but the point is that I didn't either. And besides that, both of us specifically said that parts were borrowed and that we were not trying to take credit for anybody else's work.

By the way, I would be flattered to know that somebody enjoyed my work enough to use it. I don't care if I get credit or not, as long as they at least say it's not their own. Besides that, it's not like it really matters either way because I get no personal gain from making mods. I don't lose anything if someone uses my material.

Hey Det, don't worry about all the flak. Just ignore it, or put them in their place for whining.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 10:09:36 pm »
Your definition of professional is skewed:

12.   an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro.
13.   a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.
Taken from Dictionary.com

Says it all for me... Many professional photographers simply do it for fun. Others do it as a side-job, and some: full time. That is just one example.

I personally don't mind that OverPro is simply a compilation of mods, and a bit of his own personal work. The only thing that irks me is that det didn't bother to label any of the mods he used.

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 10:36:20 pm »
Well, when I did it, I didn't label the mods I borrowed from either because I simply didn't know. I just went around the web one night looking for guns I wanted, downloaded them, and picked out the files I needed for whichever gun I liked out of each mod. After having done this, I realized I didn't care too much for  some of the ingame gun sprites, so I changed them. Then I did a little more experimenting with the gostek, and by the time it was all said and done, I had no idea what was borrowed from where. I'm guessing Det did something similar.

Yes, it can mean many different things, as can any word, as long as enough people use it incorrectly long enough for it to be widely accepted. However, the #1 definition is exactly what I said.

1.   following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

And besides, I wouldn't consider Espadon an "expert" anyway. If he's so good at what he does, then why did his Halo mod take so long?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:41:58 pm by Magus86 »

Offline PapaSurf

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 10:42:31 pm »
No one here is pro unless they are getting paid for their work, which brings us to a grand total of 0.

Unfortunately, this mod is ripped off of a bunch of different people's work.  TC's poor English notwithstanding, I'm going to have to lock this unless he can get permission from and credit the appropriate original creators.

*Clink*
Check out my new shamelessly self promoted mod HERE