Author Topic: dropdown3  (Read 1114 times)

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
dropdown3
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:07:03 pm »
OK, massive edit. i just modified the original map instead, check 3 posts below.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:49:59 am by mar77a »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
Re: dropdown3
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:38:16 pm »
I've never liked that middle. It just feels really stupid having two big bullet-blockers like that :P Interesting changes...

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:23:07 pm »
Nice nice.  If it were finished it could become a default map :o

Unfortunately I cannot due to my XP computer not working.

Player since late 2007

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:43:12 am »
okay "from scratch" again (wink)

changes:

- added spawns for both teams just around the same where the old single ones were (makes spawning a bit harder)
- added top route, voland style
- changed texture (hehe)

Offline El_Spec

• Major
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:05:06 am »
If you're going to make another version, you should start from scratch.  This and the second are too similar, the only huge difference is the upper route and the texture.  If you can find it, check the first Dropdown and compare it with the second, notice how different they are (They're made by the same person, Boxo).  While the upper route is a nice addition, I don't think it'll play very well, camper friendly and it'll be too similar like ctf_Death2.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:17:58 am »
Visually speeking, it looks pretty good, I like the scenery, texture, and shading. A+

As for the layout, it looks almost nothing like the original dropdown, why not call it something else? I suggest you make some kind of a barrier on the top route so people can't go up there and waste time by m79'ing themselves up.

The middle route is obviously going to be a sprayfest, but I doubt you can change that without doing some drastic adding and changing.

The lower route seems fine.

Overall....You get a C+
There are other worlds than these

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 11:45:35 am »
jrgp, have you ever played or even seen Dropdown2?  The layout here is the exact same as before with the exceptions of the new top route and spawns.

I really like DD2 for its openness and straightforward gameplay, but the new route seems useless for reasons said by El_Spec.  Plus, I don't see how one can use it to catch up with an EFC.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:00:47 pm »
In case someone didn't get it, I just wanted to fix the spawning problem. At first I tried to do it from scratch but it ended up being ugly and didn't even finish it so I grabbed the original dropdown2 and stuck the top route in it + the other minor changes which I already listed. It also adds a bit of dynamics to the both-teams-holding-enemy-flag situation.

Date Posted: 11-07-2008, 09:59:25
PS: I'm still not sure about that middle connect between "roof" and the old top route.

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 03:01:03 pm »
We play tested it a bit today, but it wasn't enough to formulate much in the way of an unambivalent opinion. I do like the idea of adding a new dynamic to the map though, so there is potential for it. I think that it could be improved upon by adding an additional bullet collider near the top of the spawn like there is at the bottom. Also, the top looks really bland compared to the rest of the map, and it could do with some scenery or something of the sort to spice it up a bit. I'm also still a bit unsure about the roof/oldtop connect. Perhaps rounded edges towards the top and bottom of it would improve its accessibility?

Hopefully we'll get some people together to test it some more soon.

Offline amrzi

• Major(1)
  • VOLKSWAGEN JA.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 06:31:29 pm »
It's crap, don't really need to say anything else about it. DD2 was just prefect, why would you want to alter a map which is already perfect?
Spraying is an art, and I am an artist.

Offline MyiEye

• Soldier
  • .<><| `Homie
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 05:20:28 pm »
I gotta say I actually like it :D...quite a bit.
"I gotta live like Jacob more holy less hip, by his grace Sho Baraka gone spit the real, been doing that Reach life before I got the deal, called to make mini-me's till the day that I die, so on my tombstone say, "he didn't die he multiplied"!"                                                  - Sho Baraka