Author Topic: ctf_Polygonal Molten Hell (download posted)  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
ctf_Polygonal Molten Hell (download posted)
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:16:23 am »
Almost completely opposite to how I map. Just take it for what it is. It has no deep meanings.

The idea for the utterly random map came when I was screwing around in Gimp. I made an awful looking bright yellow and blue (the texture) thing, and I decided, why not make an attempt to texture a map with it. So I created this polygonal hell and slapped the texture in. Suits the map. Zoom is 64% I believe.

I don't know if I've ever seen a map quite like this...I hope I never see another one, but please, make your comments seen however futile they may be. The mouth (keyboard) wasn't made to silent.

::)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:22:37 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Bjarne Betjent

• Camper
Re: ctf_Polygonal Molten Hell
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:06:30 am »
I guess it would be very annoying to play on it because of the colors =/

Offline Lemmings

• Major(1)
  • Suicide
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:51:26 am »
w..t..f
looks funny. maybe too colourful and small.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:18:22 am »
It seems really surrealistic, but as pointed out, it might be a pain in the ass playing on it. Maybe if you'd use more colours, less eye stinging you could make such a 'random' map which'd end up rad :o

El_Spec

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:03:28 pm »
The texture is a problem, not the colors.  Since the texture has no actual texture, it makes the color stand out more than a normal one would.

The map itself, if taken properly made, can really have potential.  Layout is really well thought out and can really provide a fun match.  I would continue this.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: ctf_Polygonal Molten Hell (Air)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 04:32:59 am »
Okay, remains random with polygon placement, but new texture and shading. 34% Zoom.

Edit:

Made it a little friendlier looking by adding some grass. Everything else is basically the same. Some polygons were moved just a bit. Haven't waypointed it or anything...but it would probably have really odd gameplay. It obviously isn't smooth at all so you couldn't really do a flag-run. So...anti flag-run map?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:17:44 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Meecrob

• Major
  • If god was a banana would jesus be an orange?
    • Mecksicko
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 05:03:29 am »
the first one looked crappy but this one looks wicked.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:18:41 am »
some old trees would fit. The map seems very nice, maybe a lake in the middle low part?
and the hole in the up part of the middle island seems to crush any try of speed hehehe
this map could have a higher jet (280 maybe), because of the cranky landing shape :p

I can't see very well, but there are 2 polys in each base that have a massive stretch (forced). That can be better

I think is this, wit the .pms I would talk more. GL!
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

El_Spec

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 08:47:13 pm »
The edges for the platforms nearest the spawn points need to be round out more.  Everything else looks great though, I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 02:32:13 am »
I think there's too many jagged edges. People would get stuck/slowed down a lot on them.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 11:11:58 pm »
Speaking of which, I never uploaded the pms. I'll get to that right now actually...

Edit:

Download posted.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:22:13 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
Re: ctf_Polygonal Molten Hell (download posted)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 03:52:01 am »
I think there's too many jagged edges. People would get stuck/slowed down a lot on them.

Thats the point

Player since late 2007

Offline WhiteHawk

• Major(1)
  • ClimBing Lovers!!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:03:20 am »
small and ugly :P
(Avatar removed; blatantly obscene, Sig was too freaking big too, hope you die)

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:29:13 pm »
There are too many boulders in the middle. The central 3 should be combined to make one large stretch, or at least merged into two with a hole in the middle.

I wish it wasn't perfectly symmetrical.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:47 am »
Perfectly symmetrical :-\.

The middle section isn't replicated at all. It is true that the each base is exactly the same, but the middle has some variety.

I do agree that this is too small, and is really an odd map all around. I don't really like it much, so I have no plans of continuing it.

Thanks for the comments by the way... I might make a few changes accordingly, so the criticism given wasn't in vain ;). I might end up tossing it into the map dump for anyone else to use.

offtopic: By the way, what ever happened to the logo changing contest? It appears to have all been for not.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:43:42 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 01:07:38 pm »
I would put more jets in this map, to help movement
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 04:33:14 pm »
Perfectly symmetrical :-\.

The middle section isn't replicated at all. It is true that the each base is exactly the same, but the middle has some variety.
Then the bases must be humongous, because it all becomes perfectly symmetrical starting at the floating boulders and down (and up, even). I just wish the paths would be unique nearly all the way, like ctf_Run, I mean. Or, it would be great to try to MANUALLY replicate the other side as perfectly as possible!

Now that I notice it, the section of yellow leading into the blue at the bottom (just using the top pic. as an easier visual reference) will always be avoided by players as a large grenade-pit. I would smoothly connect it as a ramp, though that's kind of conventional.
The middle is... strange. It's not just the spiky nature; it feels too orderly when shapes such as those should be chaotic, not in a near-perfect 5-boulder arrangement like that. I think I possibly would have turned the middle three into two, curving like a ramp \ \ or / / (much less steeper than that, of course). Now that would be REALLY neat :)

Bots would SO not enjoy that left-middle small rock, nor the weird pit in the right one... go for just spiky, not weird as well, or else you'll have no appeal. :P

The atmosphere for the latest pic. is VERY well developed.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:36:26 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline MyiEye

• Soldier
  • .<><| `Homie
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »
w00t...pimpage
"I gotta live like Jacob more holy less hip, by his grace Sho Baraka gone spit the real, been doing that Reach life before I got the deal, called to make mini-me's till the day that I die, so on my tombstone say, "he didn't die he multiplied"!"                                                  - Sho Baraka

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:54:57 pm »
w00t...pimpage

Shall I call the spambulance?

Oh shada. Thanks Keron for the comments. Always appreciated. I shall get crackin'!