Author Topic: Is this a bullshit?  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: Is this a bullshinyfoo?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:11 am »
The problem is, modern combat is making a move towards more and more nonlethal methods of neutralizing the enemy. It sounds totally uncool but tactical superweapons like Metal Storm will in the future be more and more of a deterrent, while I forsee the focus being more or less on incapacitating the enemy and 'just taking him out of the fight.' [the Military taser-thing is one step that way. Another that weird MASER/laser thing that just makes the target feel like he's on fire]. At least in conventional warfare now, incapacitating [read: maiming] is a lot more useful that actually killing, since the target would then be useless to fight while still taking up resources. Erm...yerh. And for general destruction a daisy-cutter or equivalent still is the better tactical superweapon :P
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 12:54:31 pm »
It's possible... with 36 barrels all firing at a cyclic rate.

Metal Storm, however has to be manually reloaded which is a lengthy process. It also has huge recoil from its firing rate.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Slashnoob

• Major
  • only users lose drugs
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 01:44:20 pm »
by the way, it isn't really capable of firing a million rounds in a single minute, it's just the estimated speed of firing.
rapid fire of a million rounds will probably recoil the machine like feck after few seconds (not to mention overheat it), plus million rounds won't squeeze in ;P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:50:15 pm by Slashnoob »
Former SuperKill

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 02:11:40 pm »
metal storm is awesome.. i wonder how this thing isn't the default heavy machinery in every army by now.
Imo, firing 100,000 rounds per minute would be costly. And as said before it would have to be fullproof, maintenance would be an absolute must. As the heavy said, "IT COSTS 3,000 DOLLARS TO FIRE THIS WEAPON FOR 14 SECONDS."

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline Exodus

• Camper
  • :<
    • All join the soldat steam group :D (if you have steam)
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 03:05:59 pm »
Quote from: heavy (with russian accent)
It costs$400, 000 to fire this weapon for 12 seconds
Thanks for standing still, wanker!

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 04:28:30 pm »
Yeah, my friends watched future weapons and were all impressed by being able to fire a bazillion rounds in no time flat, and I was like or we could just blow up the area with one bomb and now waste so many rounds. Plus the thing has to take forever to reload, it is essentially a giant roman candle. Plus, at least fromt he show I watched, its firing time was like 3 seconds. I'd much rather have a more accurate and efficient yet slower weapon.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 10:33:59 pm »
To reply on all of those, it's "HOLY SHIT!!!! IT REALLY IS TRUE!!!!"
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"