Author Topic: Protect the VIP - project  (Read 1506 times)

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Protect the VIP - project
« on: July 20, 2008, 08:40:15 pm »
I was playing Halo the other day, and thought it would be cool to have a VIP mode in Soldat. A random person on each team (2-4 teams) would be chosen at the beginning of the match as the VIP for that team. You'd need to kill the enemy's VIP in order to score points, while protecting your own. I think it would be interesting to play on maps with an urban type setting, with lots of places to hide, and it would also be cool to mod in a medical type weapon with a low heal rate (to prevent people from just instantly healing any damage the VIP might suffer). Also,(...)
As far as I can see that'll be a very simple script
Did anyone do this script?
I think that we can make this gamestyle better. What do you think?
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
Re: Protect the VIP - project
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:32:40 pm »
ive discussed it as a project for multimode and we were really having some nice ideas, but we never got around scripting it.
the problem is that theres quite some options.. like you can also make an INF-styled map and let only 1 team have the VIP (like in CS)
IRC is where the brainstorming's at :p

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:06:40 pm »
I was thinking about doing something like that with that stupid subgamemode people made in eC trenchwars, "hostages" or something, where you have to get into the opponents spawn, then the hostage could run away back to base and you won. I thought it was kind of stupid but someone a long time ago asked me to script it, so I thought I would do it, but if you're going to do it I wont bother.

Offline Neosano

• Camper
  • IIAWAK!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 03:38:55 am »
Some time ago Hobo asked me to do it ^.^
But i was busy with iMod so i didn't finished it
KAWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII

Offline rumpel

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:43:54 am »
yeah neosano we know that now...
u already made all scripts.. but i wonder where i can find them ;)

and yeah iq that hostages mode is from americas army :P
banned.

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:11:47 am »
I'd be more interested in hostages than VIP. VIPs, I generally expect won't want to sit out of the killing for nothing and will move away from defense. Hostages will wait for a chance to escape and create opportunity. I suppose hostage script would single out random person on one team, teleport them to enclosing area, and find a way to enforce not killing hostage, like, lose points if hostage is killed while in cage, get points if caught escaping, outside cage coords. If possible, perhaps hostage would have knife and fists: points if killed with knife out, negative if killed with fists+inside cage

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 04:19:06 pm »
ive discussed it as a project for multimode and we were really having some nice ideas, but we never got around scripting it.
the problem is that theres quite some options.. like you can also make an INF-styled map and let only 1 team have the VIP (like in CS)
IRC is where the brainstorming's at :p
did you find any conclusion?

the hostages thing is too complex. Bot's won't gently follow red instead of blue. They'll follow anyone in theyr range.

I was thinking in making team match, survival (or not), in the start of each round (or when the vip dies) one of each team is randomly choosed to be the VIP. And when the vip dies all players of the same team will die too (in survival only)
And you only get points by killing the vip. I think that should do
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:16:51 pm »
no we never really got to a conclusion..
i personally think it would be best if both teams have a VIP
if the VIP dies the entire team is killed and a new VIP is chosen
the enemy team is also killed, but their VIP doesnt change
the question is: should there be another goal than just killing/protecting VIP (like adding flags)
we also had the idea of giving the VIP a socom only
another question is which kind of maps are good for this.. maybe HTF maps.. or even DM maps.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »
another question is which kind of maps are good for this.. maybe HTF maps.. or even DM maps.
if it has 2 teams, i would prefer ctf maps; 4 teams for dm/htf maps imo

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 05:43:20 pm »
well usually there are quite narrow and horizontal paths in CTF maps. if you are protecting the VIP youll need a bigger arena, because there should be 2 groups of people teaming up..

Offline Fath0r

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 05:51:01 pm »
ok, brainstorm:
one team has vip, goal is reaching some place on the map
make it scriptwise. or give the vip the flag.
and goal has the other flag
maps must be quite special...
like assassins attack from above, have to go through some gangways and drop onto the protectors

But usual ctf or inf maps wont work, that would be battle like, and not one team assaults the other.