Author Topic: Script in climb maps  (Read 974 times)

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Script in climb maps
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:11:06 pm »
it's like... the map comes toguether with a script for it. And it could create bullets to make distractions/obstacles

I think that would be very fun
Is there any map that already have that?

Date Posted: July 23, 2008, 06:09:39 pm
so in apponidle would have
Code: [Select]
if currentmap=blablabla then begin
    createbullet blablabla
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Re: Script in climb maps
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:10:01 am »
Maps themselves can't have that, but I think it would be cool to be able to make a small script IN polyworks, which is attatched to the map and runs whenever the map is loaded (Only if it is with the scripting server of course, and scripting is 1).

It would be a pretty simple script, it would be best to save map data (bullet spawn locations, velx, vel7, etc...) in a .ini file and load it on map change.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:42:53 pm »
that would be great too. but I'm just talking about putting an extra file in the .rar of the map, that is the script for it, so the map should be played with that script, in a dedicated server. I'll do an exemple when I have time...

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:09:55 am »
If there was a separate script for every map, then you would need to have a script loaded on the server start for every map in the maplist, and some servers have 600+ maps (I think Bombski's server), so that would fail, and even if there is ,say, 20 maps, it is alot of extra work for the server.

And no, you can't load a script on map change (without restarting server, which will kick everyone) so the best way would be with a .ini

So an extra file could be included in the .rar/.zip, but it couldn't be a script.

Offline lewymati

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 03:38:48 pm »
And no, you can't load a script on map change (without restarting server, which will kick everyone) so the best way would be with a .ini
fail...

See my scriptsmanager:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=25402.0
You can turn scripts on and off in fly, ppl won't be kicked :>
Bombski's multimode server uses that:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=25442.0

but ill agree, having about 600 scripts is massacre.

There are some cute mods in bombski's multimode, its kinda that what you are talking about but without climbing... But there was in bombski's plans to make a submod when you can climb and shot... Maybe it will be available later? :>

Anyway gl and hf while scripting :>

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:19:58 pm »
=o

Damn...

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 12:38:25 pm »
yes, the 'climbwar' was actually the original idea for my multimode server

we never finished the climbwar mod, because its quite annoying to make a script just for 1 map. the idea was to have 2 teams instead of 1, so there would be some more competition/teamplay. anyway heres some things we discussed:

Spawn stationary chainsaw zombies Tongue
Drain health for some time
Half health
I don't know about slow down Bombski, but is there any way to make that person 2x faster/give them 2x gravity? There's that weird-ass thing I get sometimes, and it's hard as hell to climb with. (It seems like 2x gravity)
Put a player on fire (Weapon mod the fire damage to low, but they could touch other team members and put them on fire too)
Plant mines (Probably grenades with long or infinite time limits, that explode on contact or movement from a small radius) Or just drop normal grenades behind you. (The grenades would have to have less power than normal, anything screws you up in climbing)

You might be able to use good powerups too that you use on your team,
Heal player
Negate effects
Un-flame

I don't know what you can or can't mod, but those are just a few ideas on Bombski's line of thought.
I'd also be happy to make a map for this (Or Bloo and I, if he was interested) because the best kind of map would probably be a steep mountain climb.

Each map is a collection of challenges which each team has to pass. Where getting to a new challenge automatically 'saves' the team's position.

Just some idea's that come to mind are things like:
- Jumping over pillars while rockets fall from the sky.
- Some regular jumping of course
- The gauntlet: a specific parcours one of your team has to pass while being shot by a boogieman with a statgun
- Hill climbing with deadly beserker kits rolling down killing everything they touch
- Fight scripted house bots, defeat a strong bot that spawns all sorts of projectiles with your team (of course with weapons (or nades perhaps?)).
- And different gameplay elements that use the map interactively via scripting

Another option could be to give awards for passing certain challenges by annoying the other team with something you can choose every time you pass a challenge. Like a bomb that falls from the sky or somebody who combusts.

"The other team has beat challenge 3! You must act quickly!"

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:51:35 pm »
yeah, something like that too

this a small test I did, it didn't worked very well... but you can get the spirit