Author Topic: My first few maps  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Tiger Fang

• Major(1)
My first few maps
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:02:19 am »
i only just started making maps and i is realy hard to do. This my first maps that i have made i hope you can help me fix them also don't worry about the names [pigtail]

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
Re: My first few maps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:15:17 am »
No pix no clix. Remember to always put screenshot.

Offline Tiger Fang

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:23 am »
oh i am very sorry when i got some pics i will post them but how did you like the maps

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:26:25 am »
No pix no clix. Remember to always put screenshot.
Hence no downloads...
Text goes here...

Offline El_Spec

• Major
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »
Overviews for the maps.

Well, these are pure beginner maps, so I can really criticise them without being a harsh asshole.

Good job on these, but next time when you map, add spawn points.  A map can work without one, but you spawn in random locations, unless you want this, add some.  Best would be like in corners of the map and such.

And clear the scenery list in PolyWorks when you're done, if you're using polyworks.  If not, dump whatever you're using and go get polyworks.  You can find a link for it in my profile under the tool section.

Date Posted: July 25, 2008, 01:03:42 pm
FUck, I added .bmp extenstions by accident, sorry to those. 

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 03:56:35 pm »
Tiger Fang, are you using MapMaker to make your maps, instead of polyworks? I suggest you use the latter, it's much easier to work with. You don't need to memorize a bunch of wacked mouse + keyboard commands, it's kinda used like Photoshop. With tools on the left and a color palette, etc.

What you really need to do is focus on your polygon's shading. As I can see, they have matching colors, but the corners don't line up with each other in a way that they would match, that is what leads me to believe that you are using MapMaker.

Also, you are using a lot of the same scenery next to each other, try to use some variety. Don't stick to the same thing over and over again, that is one of the things that makes map dull. Expierment with different sceneries, colors, and levels of opacity.

As for the texture, there are hundreds to choose from, but trying a few and seeing which works best from those is an okay approach.

I wish you luck. Feel free to ask us any questions.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:24:37 am »
Wowzers, those are some pretty crazy looking maps. They look like they could be part of some tie dye shirt.

Well, in the first previewed map, the top looks inaccessible from anywhere in the map. I honestly don't know what else to say... Keep at it, and maybe you'll be able to make some crazy and awesome maps one of these days. Not too bad for a start..