Author Topic: Extraction Point (Subgame Mode idea) [Lengthy post]  (Read 6965 times)

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
Extraction Point (Subgame Mode idea) [Lengthy post]
« on: August 03, 2008, 12:47:34 pm »
I'm not sure if this is where this should go but it was the only board regarding modding in general.

This is just a thing I want to ventilate as it has been bugging me and I want to get it out and hopefully, I really hope, can be made.

Soldat Extraction Point
(Subgame Mode)

1. Introduction
2. Map Layout
3. Weapons
4. Classes
5. Zombies
6. Difficulty
7. Re-Supply aka safehouse
8. Players as Survivors and Zombies
9. Victory/Loose Conditions
10. Other stuff

Map Layout Idea:

1. Introduction[anchor]Introduction[/anchor][/b]
This idea is based on the game Left 4 Dead. If you haven't heard about it check it up before reading further as I can't be bothered to discuss every detail(but you might get the point). So the basic idea is the same as in L4D. The whole point of this subgame mode is to get the Survivors to the Extraction Point in order for them to win. On their way there they will encounter zombies of several types that will try to slay every single one of them. This game mode relies heavily on Teamwork in order for the survivors to succeed with their mission as they will have limited ammo. When getting to the middle Safehouse the survivors will be able to re-supply the weapons and (health?). As the survivors progress closer to the extraction point the zombies types will be harder and there will be more of them making it a real challenge.

When I thought of this I did have in mind that the community could somehow make this together. It relies on Modding the weapons.ini, the graphics, making a map for it and scripting. Right now the subgame mode relies heavily on the willingness of scripters. I do think that most of the features can be done, maybe not as I mentioned it but similar. The graphics aspect is maybe not as important but it will give the mode better immersion. A map is also important, most of us can make one but not all of us are so good with shading and scenery.

2. Map Layout[anchor]MapLayout[/anchor][/u]
The above image is there to give you an idea how I image it. As you can see I wish the map to be bigger just to make the whole mode much more intense and give it some sort of scale. So the survivors start at a safehouse where zombies are not able to get. After that they must make their way through a forest(?) and into a small building. After that they must make their way up to the roof and then sprint and make a jump to the chopper. The zombies spawn points should be dynamic and scripted so depending where the survivors are they'll spawn at the appropriate place.

3. Weapons[anchor]Weapons[/anchor][/u]
The game mode will use custom made settings for the weapons (the mode will be using Realistic Mode). balance is not that important as you play against zombies, however, they need to be tweaked so they can take care of hordes of zombies in the later stages of the game. I haven't thought that much of how the settings will be yet as I want ideas and input from other members but I think that most of the weapons will be similar to the default once except for the spas which will be removed because of its infinite reload. Other guns that might be disabled is the Ruger and Barrett as they have a "bug" I think. Other guns such as the Steyr and M79 can be remade to gimmick other weapons.

Other peoples ideas are very welcome.

PRIMARY WEAPONS:

All primaries except barrett and spas (for now?)

SECONDARY WEAPONS:

same here;

4. Classes[anchor]Classes[/anchor][/u]
I came to the conclusion that using classes might be a fun idea. Each class will have it's own set of weapon arsenal and benefits.I don't want it to be too command based as that's just annoying for the players and forces them to make pre made taunts which sucks for unregistered people.

When a game starts the first four(or if random) people get to pick a class using /class1-5. They have one minute to do this before or they get a random class. I'm not sure if it should be allowed to have more than one class at the time. This should make the game much more interesting.

- Assault Class /class1
Primary Weapon: MP5, AK, Steyr
Secondary Weapon: MP5, DE, Soccom, Knife, LAW
Additional:
*Can enter a short rage(berserker), /rage, cooldown 2 Minutes

- Recon Class /class2
Primary Weapon: Ruger, DE
Secondary Weapon: Soccom, Knife
Additional:
*Can cloak himself(pred), /cloak, cooldown 3 Minutes

- Engineer Class /class3
Primary Weapon: Steyr, DE
Secondary Weapon: Soccom, LAW, M79
Additional:
*Can place mines, /mine, cooldown 1 Minute

- Medic Class /class4
Primary Weapon: DE, MP5
Secondary Weapon: Soccom
Additional:
*Has a heal ability that heals teammates close to the medic, /heal, cooldown 1 Minute

- Heavy Class /class5
Primary Weapon: (Minigun?), Minimi, AK, Steyr, DE, MP5, Steyr
Secondary Weapon: MP5, AK, Steyr, DE, Soccom, Knife, M79, LAW
Additional:
*Wears a Vest

5. Zombies[anchor]Zombies[/anchor][/u]
Zombies come in variet types. At the start the zombies that spawn are weak and should have no weapons. As the survivors progress harder zombies appear and some of them will wield saws and knifes.

- Weak Zombie
Health: Low
Weapon: None

- Weak Spitting Zombie
Weapon: Knife

- Weak Fisting Zombie
Weapon: Saw

- Zombie (Medium)
Health: Medium

- Spitting Zombie (Medium)

- Fist Zombies (Medium)

- Strong Zombie
Health: High

- Strong Spitting Zombie

- Strong Fisting Zombie

6. Difficulty[anchor]Difficulty[/anchor][/u]
As mentioned now two times I think the difficulty should get higher the closer to the extraction point the survivors get.

7. Re-Supply aka safehouse[anchor]ReSupplyakasafehouse[/anchor][/u]
At the moment I only have in mind two safehouses on the map. This of course might change depending on how large the map is. When in the safe house spawns should be stopped and the players can the in the safehouse use /supply to regain all their weapons ammo. One minute should be enough for the survivors to resupply before the command stops working.

8. Players as Survivors and Zombies[anchor]PlayersasSurvivorsandZombies[/anchor][/u]
I'm not sure how this should work yet. At the beginning I thought that there should be four Survivors and the rest become some random zombie, however, humans as zombies might be a dumb idea so the players that can't be survivors are queued in line for the next session and spectate for the time being(max 4 spectators I think).

9. Victory/Loose Conditions[anchor]VictoryLooseConditions[/anchor][/u]
If one of the players reaches the extraction point the survivors win. If all of the survivors die they loose.

10. Other stuff[anchor]Otherstuff[/anchor][/u]
Now stuff that I didn't mention but are important.
- The Survival mode should also be on so that the fallen members get to spectate the other teammembers.
- A teammate won't be resurrected at a safehouse.
-

It's very likely that I forgot stuff but I tried to write down the things I remembered.

That's all I think >_<

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:55:38 pm by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: Extraction Point (Subgame Mode) [Lengthy post]
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:06:13 pm »
I'm starting my stopwatch now to see how long it takes before HK gets whiff of this :D

Sounds like a full mod of unprecedented scale... what do you have planned for it in terms of execution? I mean, do you have people picked out for parts, etc. etc.? >.<
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:08:23 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline gedazz

• Camper
Re: Extraction Point (Subgame Mode) [Lengthy post]
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:17:06 pm »
Firstly, I strongly suggest balancing weapons. Because everyone would use the strongest weapon and there would be no variety. The same goes with classes, everyone will use the most powerful class to get the most points.
Secondly, spectating as other people play isn't fun at all. I don't want to join a server and spend all the time in a queue to play the game. Players should be able to play as zombies. Then, if one of the survivors is killed by a human controlled zombie, they should be forced to switch teams.

Anyway, if you manage to work it out, it will literally fuck every other game mode out there.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
Re: Extraction Point (Subgame Mode idea) [Lengthy post]
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 01:25:34 pm »
I'm starting my stopwatch now to see how long it takes before HK gets whiff of this :D

Sounds like a full mod of unprecedented scale... what do you have planned for it in terms of execution? I mean, do you have people picked out for parts, etc. etc.? >.<

Edit: looks like I missunderstood the first time I read it >_<
I'm not sure who will make which part. It all depends who's willing. When it comes to graphics modding we, modders, can make something together. But unlike previous member modding we'll have some sort of high standard so no "shinyfooty" stuff comes into the mod.

Updated Classes with:
When a game starts the first four(or if random) people get to pick a class using /class1-5. They have one minute to do this before or they get a random class. I'm not sure if it should be allowed to have more than one class at the time. This should make the game much more interesting.

Firstly, I strongly suggest balancing weapons. Because everyone would use the strongest weapon and there would be no variety. The same goes with classes, everyone will use the most powerful class to get the most points.
Secondly, spectating as other people play isn't fun at all. I don't want to join a server and spend all the time in a queue to play the game. Players should be able to play as zombies. Then, if one of the survivors is killed by a human controlled zombie, they should be forced to switch teams.

Anyway, if you manage to work it out, it will literally feck every other game mode out there.

TBH I made the weapon stuff on the fly when I wrote the thing so it's unbalanced but it was made just to give you an idea. Same with classes I'm not entierly sure if it should assign them randomly or the first person that picks it.

I was thinking(and I still do) of letting people be zombies that aren't survivors but then the map and the spawnpoints need to be done so that the human zombies aren't allowed to the safe zone and ambush the survivors when they resupply.

EDIT: Lol how did I forget to upload the map layout. Updated my fisrt post with it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:48:06 pm by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline gedazz

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »
I'm not sure...
TBH I made the weapon stuff on the fly...
I'm not entierly sure...
I was thinking(and I still do)...
Man, you should get the concept complete first. If you're still not sure about the features, I doubt you'll ever finish the mod.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:56:28 pm »
As in the first post you see that I have an idea how I want it, however, like manytimes in projects things change along the developmen. These other ideas that I maybe want depends how my initial idea will turnout so there is abase to work on. Also as stated in my first post I do not intend to make this without help, it's impossible, and I did mention that I want ideas and input from others to make it better. I alone have a image in front of me but with others inputs It can get even better than I planned.

OBEY!!!

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 05:54:37 am »
This sounds like a really good idea. The scripting is not so hard, i could do it by myself with a bit of help from other ppl. However i first need someone to make the map for me so i can take the coordinates of spawns/safehouses etc.
Go and hunt for good mappers so they make the map.
Ill try to look for scripters that might help me to script this.
Someone should make the wepons mod too.
So as i said, i first need the map, then i can script it.
What i can do right now is the zombies and classes. The safehouses/spawns and other stuff is what i need the map for.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 12:42:58 pm »
Great!
Ok, all talented mappers get your asses of that chair in the sun and come in to the dark and work for this subgame mode:)
Seriously if one mapper can make this map then as Norbo said he can start making this baby.

Modding the weapons shouldn't be too hard. And the graphics community shouldn't be too hard to persuade into making something, but I can do that myself if needed. Hm not sure if I should create a separate topic for that part, will do here for now so if people have any ideas what weapons to use for the listed above mention them here.

OBEY!!!

Offline shantec

• Soldier
  • Get ANGREH!!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 02:37:02 am »
I can volunteer to scripting too =P

( What should i start with? )
Also Known As REIMA

Lol Happles (happy apples)

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 03:49:31 am »
You should PM Norbo and talk to him about the scripting.

jrgp is going to try and make the map. Lets hope he finishes it so you can start to script those parts too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:37:04 am by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 07:04:30 am »
I can help with any graphics, just gimme a pm.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 04:07:09 am »
Well i nearly done all the classes and now i will try to make zombies.
GJ blackdevil on hunting these mappers and modders :)

Edit: I dont really understand why would you make a weapon mod for this. I think not even 20% of ppl that will play this mode will install this mod.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:16:03 am by Norbo »

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 04:35:33 am »
Ah good Norbo :)

It's mostly for the people that want to get better experience. I for one like to see the weapons as they're ment to look. I don't like to see a medkit look as a gun ;P However it doesn't have to be done yet as it's not that important. The game mode is.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:15:44 am by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 06:02:50 pm »
So apparently Mr. BlackDevil, you are the spearhead for this project. A map? Humm, I might PM you with some questions.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 05:37:30 am »
If you allow people to become zombies instead of having survival mode on, you may have people who one become zombies don't try, or others who kill themselves to become zombies.
Also, if you have friendly fire on, how would the script act with killing a friend? Turn them into a zombie? Or just nothing?

BTW, I never tested it, but it may be possible to /setteam w/out killing the person (so they aren't dead if survival is on) with OnPlayerDamage, it should sometime be in there as a set damage..

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 05:50:08 am »
Survival wont be on
ppl will be just setteamed to spec when they are killed
when u join bravo team (zombie team) you get set back to red or spec (not sure yet)
ff will be..... idk yet, im waiting for blackdevil to show up at #soldat.extraction

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 04:14:55 pm »
Oh, so you guys are still working on this. I was getting ready to turn my map into something else more useful, like make the office building DM compatible. You guys are still chuggin along ;)

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 05:28:17 pm »
I belive Norbo is still working on it. I was gone a week due of no internet but he had done some progress. I talked to him 2-3 days ago on irc. I assume he's still working on the scripting then. I don't want to rush him...but I did say a thing I thought he should script that he didn't like too much ;D Let's hope it doesn't put him off.

Date Posted: September 01, 2008, 12:14:08 am
Norbo is no longer able to continue with the scripting. It's unfortunate but he had more important stuff going on in RL. So if anyone is interested in continuing PM so we can talk. Norbo has done quite a few things already, I believe weapons, zombies and some other things are left to script.

OBEY!!!

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 05:35:15 pm »
I hope this continues. Looks like a good idea/concept  :D

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 06:10:46 pm »
Oh my god, this is an amazing idea!!!! I really want this to happen!!!!
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"