Author Topic: Do you believe in god?  (Read 15610 times)

Offline R

• Major(1)
Do you believe in god?
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:45:34 am »
If so, why?

If not, why not?

Discuss.

Offline Rasputins Revenge

• Major(1)
Re: Do you believe in god?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:47:17 am »
I do because I'm not a fucking primitive beast.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:57:18 am »
Yes, I do. Really, if you don't believe in god then what created anything? Why do we exist? What made the universe?
There are other worlds than these

Offline R

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:01:32 am »
If you do believe in god, what created god?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 02:03:18 am »
If you do believe in god, what created god?
That's the catch.. Who knows? I guess it's best not to obsess over practically useless questions like that and keep it simple. He created himself.

Offline Rasputins Revenge

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 02:04:21 am »
I did.

Offline R

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 02:05:06 am »
See, if its possible for you to believe that a god created himself then created the universe, what makes it so impossible to believe that the universe created itself and continues to exist.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:07:10 am »
See, if its possible for you to believe that a god created himself then created the universe, what makes it so impossible to believe that the universe created itself and continues to exist.
Whether or not you believe in god, you still have to cope with the fact that questioning our world's creator generates a paradox which never ends.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 02:22:37 am »
I don't believe in god.

Too many holes in religion.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:48:59 am »
I don't refuse to believe that a higher being is possible(I think it's incredibly unlikely, but there's no way to know for sure). I DO, however, refuse to believe in the Christian god because there are far too many things that simply don't add up with what they tell us.

For instance... I was told as a young child that God created each and every one of us. We are all his children. He made everything, which includes every human ever to live. He loves all of his children, and he made us the way we are... BUT... then I was told that homosexuals are bad. "God hates fags." Well if God hates fags, why did he create them? If homosexuality is evil, why allow it in the first place? And why should we be punished for something beyond our control? If god made you the way you are, then homosexuality is not a choice, and it's not your fault if you are a homosexual. At the same time, if it is a choice, then he gave you that choice. Why should you be punished based on which one you choose? Why even give the choice in the first place?

If I made a robot programmed to use a gun to kill people, and then it goes and kills people, do I have a right to be pissed and destroy it? No, it was my own damn fault. And if I give it a gun and leave its choice to kill up to the virtual flip of a coin, and it ends up killing people, once again it was my own damn fault for giving it the choice in the first place. If god can't understand this, god is irrational.

If god exists, and he wants us to believe in him, why doesn't he show himself? Why would he leave our faith in him up to our choices based on what a tiny few people have to write about him? Why would he give us skepticism and then constantly test it? Is God some mad scientist, constantly experimenting, seeing how his peons will react to his various forms of torment?

How exactly can something create itself? in order to be able to create, it has to already exist. I don't think that anybody made anything. The universe just is. It exists, and that's all there is to it. It has always existed, and it always will because the universe is EVERYTHING.

The Christian god was created for the same basic purposes as every other god before him: To try to keep people in line, and to try to explain things that the people of the time couldn't by any other means.

The ancient people of Egypt believed in a Sun God named Horus. They believed Horus was the sun and that every morning, and every night, Horus and a corresponding night or moon god(whose name I can't recall) would fight. In the morning, Horus would win the battle, and he would shed his light on the earth until it was time to battle again, at which time he would lose. This was their way of explaining night and day. To us, this seems silly because we know what the sun is and how it works today. The people of Egypt did not.

The ancient Greeks believed that the sun was either one of the wheels of Zeus's chariot, or it was simply being pulled across the sky by Zeus in his chariot. That is their explanation for the sun moving across the sky throughout the day. Once again, we would find this silly today because we know about gravity, rotation, and orbit... The ancient Greeks did not.

You can all believe whatever you want, but I strongly suggest you go google "Zeitgeist" and watch it. it exposes the many possible origins for certain stories contained in the bible... Most importantly, I feel, the story of Jesus Christ. I have a feeling most of you would be surprised to discover just how many ancient dieties(who were written about and believed in MANY years before Christ, by the way) share characteristics with Jesus. The 12 followers, dying on a cross, being born from a virgin mother, the ability to walk on water, being betrayed by a trusted friend, coming back to life after death, etc.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind here, just answering the question asked in the first post. Regardless of your beliefs, go watch Zeitgeist.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 02:54:54 am »
You can all believe whatever you want, but I strongly suggest you go google "Zeitgeist" and watch it.
no way i'm reading all that, but zeitgeist is rubbish.

e: i'm watching the bit about america joining the world wars again and it's almost infuriating how wrong this guy is
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:29:54 am by frogboy »

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 07:51:38 am »
If you let a movie determine your outlook on life just give up now. There is no hope for you.
@ii

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 07:52:57 am »
I'm waiting for -Mangled*-

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 08:01:12 am »
yo mangled when you do post, post some more funny shit about zeitgeist because it's hilarious to see someone who thinks themselves so superior for not believing in something being suckered by conspiracy theories

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 08:15:15 am »
God believes in me. But I just let him down.

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 08:20:33 am »
This reminds me of the Columbine High School Massacre, where Eric Harris was said to say, "Do you believe in god" seconds before he pulled the trigger, and killed Rachel Scott when she said, "Yes".

Just wanted to share that with you.

Yes, I do believe in God.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 09:54:09 am »
Who created God?

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:16 am »
I was raised a Catholic but now I see myself as an atheist "for moral reasons ... the world appears to me to be put together in such a painful way that I prefer to believe that it was not created ... intentionally".

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 10:13:43 am »
I say that im not christian nor catholic, yet im not athiest... so I would say I'm undecided, not really wanting to decide; except for the fact that I randomly think the idea of a god is crazy, so im starting to think i athiest :P

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 10:19:30 am »

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag