Author Topic: In-Game Script Creator  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
In-Game Script Creator
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:16:50 pm »
Script Name: Script Creator
Script Description: Lets you make scripts in-game!
This can be used to create scripts without having to open folders and crap.

*Show off you scripting skills in-game!
*If you've made a mistake, you can re-write the line.                     
*View your script just like you would in Notepad.(Messes up the chat console) 
*If you're using a server host such as EnEsCe, you don't have to give away PHP access for scripters to upload scripts.  

You must use "_" to separate parts of most commands.

Files/Folders you'll need:
1: scripts/Creator (Folder)
2: scripts/Creator/test.ini (File containing "
[TEST]
Test=Working")
Original Author(s): Tehbugerz0r
Core Version: Current one...Err...Yeah.
Code: [Select]
if GetPiece(Text,'_',0) = '/script' then begin //eg."/script_WriteConsole(0,'Hello world!',$FFFFFFFF)"
SM[ID].linesnumber := SM[ID].linesnumber+1;
lines[SM[ID].linesnumber].text := GetPiece(Text,'_',1) +chr(13)+chr(10)
end;

Please tell me if you find bugs, or if you have suggestions.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: In-Game Script Creator
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:58 pm »
You have got to be kidding me. This is definitely the most insecure thing ever. You're letting your malicious and dirty players shutdown your server and completely access private files and totally feck you over. Not only that, but it would be extremely impractical to create scripts ingame, since a lot of scripts consist of over 20 lines of code and have to be thought out, planned, and debugged, not just scribbled.

To FLAB: DID YOU EVEN RECEIVE MY PM?.
He's busy, give him time.
There are other worlds than these

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:02:41 pm »
it can be useful if you're testing your script ingame and want to alter some little thing
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 03:07:35 pm »
It currently doesn't have a function that loads a script for editing, but I'll take that as a suggestion. It will be in the next version, which I am going to upload when I feel like it.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:32 pm »
1: It uses OnCommand, not OnPlayerCommand
 - Not all admins can be trusted.

2: It doesn't let you access files outside of the Creator folder
 - So? Something like this is going to be full of security vulnerabilities. And also, it lets you write to weapons.ini, which is pretty stupid considering it almost never has the permissions necessary to be writable.

3: It has plenty of functions for you to make a script almost like you were writing it in notepad
 - You still can't use the arrow keys or the mouse to move around and you can't easily organize your script. Having to enter each line by hand without jumping around is just..worthless.

4: I've been waiting about 4 months for FLAB to reply.
 - Then PM him again or email him: ryan@u13.net

it can be useful if you're testing your script ingame and want to alter some little thing
It only lets you create a new script, not edit one you already have installed in its own folder.

And in addition to that, you don't have access to http://enesce.com/help ingame, and not having that handy is just pointless unless you have EVERY function, procedure, and variable and how to use them correctly memorized.

It currently doesn't have a function that loads a script for editing, but I'll take that as a suggestion. It will be in the next version, which I am going to upload when I feel like it.
Don't make a next version. There are admins ignorant and careless enough to actually install this..

Oh, and learn to comment your code in a non insulting and arrogant way and to indent your lines to ensure readability..
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:13:40 pm by jrgp »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 03:23:04 pm »
No, you're making so many worthless assumptions and you have no idea how dumb you have made yourself look.

1: I can add a trusted IP list.
Most admins will have dynamic IP's which change all the time. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a static one. And even if your IP doesn't change often, someone else in your house / college campus who is on your network will also be able to join the game as an admin because they will have the same IP.

It's much more safe than PHP access
PHP is only unsafe when you have a moron coding it and that is not the case with the three main server renters. (EnEsCe, FliesLikeABrick, & Selfkill, incase you're not aware.)

I might add a safety checker later.
Oh, really? And how do you intend to do such a marvelous thing..

3: But it's as close as possible.
What do you mean?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:29:57 pm »
I don't see the point in continuing this argument because of the fact that you won't look past your ego and admit you're wrong.
Wrong on what? Can't you be specific? My ego isn't talking, my experience is. I've made a few scripts and have looked at the source code of a lot of them, I've never, ever seen something as nutso as this. And, I've been developing secure php cms-like applications since 2004. Look at TMS, any problems, security issues, bugs??

Watch, as soon as someone else who knows what they are talking about strolls in this thread, they'll back me up..

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 03:33:30 pm »
By continuing to post in this topic you ARE attracting attention.
Yeah, hopefully yours.

You've also made it obvious that you don't really have a clue when it comes to pascal.
Heh.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:37:27 pm by jrgp »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 04:00:53 pm »
Well that is definitely a unique idea. A while ago (back when I didn't want to learn pascal syntax) I thought I would make something like this in java, but quickly realized that it would be a waste of my time. The ability to look over your script, see what stuff is called at the top, etc, is too important to warrant the necessity of such a program.
Props for the idea, as well as the good execution, but I'll stick to Notepad++ for now.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:51:55 pm »
I didn't see the code, but I think you could do another script that just allows you to edit a script in game. that would be usefull for me. Like, In-Game Script EDITOR
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:55:37 pm by As de Espada »
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 10:34:38 pm »
I agree with everyone  else, there is  no need for this, just let the person whose scripting, give you the script and you can put it on your server.
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 11:59:22 pm »
I was waiting for somebody to SUGGEST something in place of this script rather than creating a useless post of criticism.
Won't happen. You're script just isn't useful. Nothing beats editing a file in a text editor due to the availability of syntax highlighting, function and variable references, tabs for editing more than one file at a time, etc. Attempting to create a large script line by line in game, while getting pwn'd by noobs, not being able to see the entire script at one time (because of the limitation of the chatlog's # of lines) and a bunch of other annoyances will just slow everyone down.

Nice 2 scripts.
Thanks.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 12:25:55 am »
I was waiting for somebody to SUGGEST something in place of this script rather than creating a useless post of criticism.
Won't happen. You're script just isn't useful. Nothing beats editing a file in a text editor due to the availability of syntax highlighting, function and variable references, tabs for editing more than one file at a time, etc. Attempting to create a large script line by line in game, while getting pwn'd by noobs, not being able to see the entire script at one time (because of the limitation of the chatlog's # of lines) and a bunch of other annoyances will just slow everyone down.
I highly doubt this script is intended to be used by people actually playing in a 3 on 3 CTF match.

And stop flaming his script, it is his first, constructive criticism is much better. Don't scare away potential avarax's just because you HAVE to be right. Always.

BTW, it is a nice idea, but it will need refining some how to make it easier to use in-game.
Maybe think about making a script that is for people who don't want to learn pascal, or can't get their head around it.

e.g. the script maker can stand somewhere and do and commands like /spawn <type> <interval> with some other stuff, and then It will and some stuff to the script that makes something spawn there every so often .
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 11:17:14 am »
And stop flaming his script, it is his first, constructive criticism is much better.

This is hardly his first, he's a very 1337 scripter, and programmer...

Bottom line: 2 / 5 Stars. Most likely you'll still have to de-bug the script in text editor. So this script is good for small simple scripts and you don't wanna waste your time on uploading the script to the server, plus you have to go into the server anyway to de-bug / test the script. So it is a time-saver for small basic scipts. A good plan but, has too much limitations. It would be better to make this scipt into a comment script. Where people in your server can leave notes and comments to the server owner or admins with PHP Access. That would be really cool.
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.