Author Topic: Extraction Point Map-Final  (Read 8843 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Extraction Point Map-Final
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:26:21 pm »
I would like to post it up so that any problems that exist could be pointed out before I either finish it, or get to a point where fixing certain problems may be rather an irritation. Suppose to be set in the morning.

Extraction Point-Final OV.

Big ol' Long Overview

On the left, that gray patch is now the office building. Done with everything on the right, but if something stands out, please comment, and I'll fix.

For more information on what this map is coinciding with, look here.

Hm, I made a mistake. Not everyone here lives in the US, so that flag doesn't necessarily apply to everyone...

Map's name is inf_Extraction.pms
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:34:18 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
Re: Extraction Point Map
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:10:41 pm »
Well, looks like I will have to post my questions/stuff seeing as no one has replied.

I can think of two things right now and they're:
The fog could be made so the player gets behind it and not just the scenery.
Then there's the tower. You made it walkable but I don't plan in having any jet on the map.

oh and after the first starting safehouse after the water there is a tree scenery that's on the ground polys.
You also mentioned that you didn't plan to add more grass scenery becaus of lag but I don't think it'll have much of an effect as the TW maps dont suffer from it.

OBEY!!!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:58:50 pm »
The fog could be made so the player gets behind it and not just the scenery.

Eh, but then since if you die once, then you are basically "perma-dead," I wanted to make it so that Zombies couldn't semi-hide themselves without the player's detecting, and thus the player dying because of the lack of detection. This map will get harder with the addition of the office building, and that forest section is just the beginning (meant to be nice and welcoming :)).

Then there's the tower. You made it walkable but I don't plan in having any jet on the map.

That's true... I could lower the tower..?

oh and after the first starting safehouse after the water there is a tree scenery that's on the ground polys.

Done on purpose. It had relatively low opacity, so it wasn't too much of a problem, but thanks for pointing that out :)

You also mentioned that you didn't plan to add more grass scenery becaus of lag but I don't think it'll have much of an effect as the TW maps dont suffer from it.

You've got a point. I won't add too much of that lush veg_grass because that uses transparency. I'll use a mix of nice default looking grass, and some other stuff.

Thanks for the comment

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:53:38 am »
Eh, but then since if you die once, then you are basically "perma-dead," I wanted to make it so that Zombies couldn't semi-hide themselves without the player's detecting, and thus the player dying because of the lack of detection. This map will get harder with the addition of the office building, and that forest section is just the beginning (meant to be nice and welcoming :)).
I was thinking that you keep the background fog and then make one additionally with 10-20% opacity for the player. SHouldn't make it too hard  ;)

That's true... I could lower the tower..?
If you want the players to walk on it.

OBEY!!!

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 05:06:23 am »
awful texture choice
that texture does not qualify as one that can portray grass non-marble terrain.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:42:27 am by Horve »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 05:41:04 am »
Very nice scenery (~a bit dodgy in some places) but good, love the rising sun next to the tree. 

keep working

Player since late 2007

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:52:34 pm »
ehm.... isint this mode suppost to be a levels mode? i mean the higher u are the more harder zmbies are there, and this map is like a tw map..

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:12 pm »
He isn't finished yet. If you look on my design layout(http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2711/epidealu3.jpg) then you'll see that there will be a building to the left with several floors. But you start out to the right and move until the building and make your way to the roof.

Then there is the question on how the zombies should spawn.

OBEY!!!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 01:43:54 am »
Made a few updates. Progress is somewhat slower since I've been doing some real stuff lately. Lowered the little tower so that players can simply jump on it. Fiddling with the background color... don't know if I like it yet.

With the office building, you enter in through the back. There will be some sort of simple lobby for the main entrance (on the left side of the building). In the first room you enter into in the office building, there is a secret heal point at the soda machine just for kicks. In Opposing Force (an expansion for Half-Life), you can refill a little bit of health at the soda machines.

My idea is, maybe harder zombies start when you get past the first Safe House (not the one you spawn in...), because that is where the hellish parking lot starts and where the land has made a full transition.

I'll change the texture... It'll be another vtt_some #'s
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:23:29 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 01:49:27 am »
Pretty cool

@the office building: is that meant to be a car on fire..?

Player since late 2007

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 02:16:19 am »
GJ blacksheepboy! I really like it.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 02:19:20 am »
Yup, the car is meant to be on fire. I'll let anyone guess on the scenery I used for the fire. Used this scenery because I couldn't find what I was originally looking for, and I was getting impatient.

Progress will be slow for the next couple days as my schedule is rather full of stuff... just thought I'd give a heads-up.

Edit:

I hope I'm not the one to place all of the spawns on this map :(, because it isn't a one-shot deal to the flag. Zombies will need places to die so that they can circulate, but then those spots need to be obvious so that players don't fall in and die by accident... I don't know exactly how the mod will work out, so I guess I could leave it up to blackdevil and Norbo to work out spawns...

Also, when placing spawns, you have to be careful because getting killed by one zombie that spawns behind you (and you don't see it): that is just a pain.

Waypoints? I could do those after spawns are dealt with.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:35:09 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline .Long-Range

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 02:19:27 am »
I love zombie modes. I read over the subgame mode for this and it sounds pretty cool. The map looks great too.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 04:41:35 am »
Looking great Blacksheepboy.
I will probably do the spawns. As for having places they'll die on don't worry I've seen a different zombie mode where you can make the zombies disappear at certain places with scripting. Lets hope Norbo can do it :p

OBEY!!!

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 06:17:07 am »
Looking great Blacksheepboy.
I will probably do the spawns. As for having places they'll die on don't worry I've seen a different zombie mode where you can make the zombies disappear at certain places with scripting. Lets hope Norbo can do it :p
Place the spawns everyware. If you place more spawns, the more zombies will there be in the certain point. I will make it that as the team advances futher the spawns behind them deactivate and in front activate.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 06:56:42 pm »
Awesome, that was what I saw thinking about. Sounds great. I could definitely not have to worry about placing spawns then, unless you guys would rather.

Date Posted: August 16, 2008, 04:43:06 am

I guess I want you guys to join me in every step of this mapping project. Have I mentioned that the office building is heavily inspired by Half-Life (specifically Opposing Force)? Well, it is.

Specifications of map so far is in the screenshot. I'll have to cut down on scenery usage in the office building or else this will be a very lag-friendly map (although most of the scenery is tiny).

Yes, only added 3 more rooms to the building, but it took me another hour and a half. Pretty ridiculous, huh? No one has to comment on this small progress, unless they find fault; I just felt the need to post steps at a time ::). Maybe just for reassurance that I haven't given up yet? (which I've been tempted to do..)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:05:14 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 03:28:30 am »
No! Dont give up now! Its great!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 03:44:26 am »
I haven't, but I've been tempted :P

Maybe just for reassurance that I haven't given up yet?

I guess I am just posting a step by step preview of the progress on this map for reassurance that I haven't bailed yet.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:46:04 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 03:50:08 am »
If you do that now then I'll kick you in the face :)

BTW don't forget tables/chairs or so here and there in the office building to let some of the players stand on.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:20:09 am by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 07:01:56 am »
Please don't give up, it's going good.  I like your scenery :)

Player since late 2007