Author Topic: Extraction Point Map-Final  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Extraction Point Map-Final
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:26:21 pm »
I would like to post it up so that any problems that exist could be pointed out before I either finish it, or get to a point where fixing certain problems may be rather an irritation. Suppose to be set in the morning.

Extraction Point-Final OV.

Big ol' Long Overview

On the left, that gray patch is now the office building. Done with everything on the right, but if something stands out, please comment, and I'll fix.

For more information on what this map is coinciding with, look here.

Hm, I made a mistake. Not everyone here lives in the US, so that flag doesn't necessarily apply to everyone...

Map's name is inf_Extraction.pms
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:34:18 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
Re: Extraction Point Map
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:10:41 pm »
Well, looks like I will have to post my questions/stuff seeing as no one has replied.

I can think of two things right now and they're:
The fog could be made so the player gets behind it and not just the scenery.
Then there's the tower. You made it walkable but I don't plan in having any jet on the map.

oh and after the first starting safehouse after the water there is a tree scenery that's on the ground polys.
You also mentioned that you didn't plan to add more grass scenery becaus of lag but I don't think it'll have much of an effect as the TW maps dont suffer from it.

OBEY!!!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:58:50 pm »
The fog could be made so the player gets behind it and not just the scenery.

Eh, but then since if you die once, then you are basically "perma-dead," I wanted to make it so that Zombies couldn't semi-hide themselves without the player's detecting, and thus the player dying because of the lack of detection. This map will get harder with the addition of the office building, and that forest section is just the beginning (meant to be nice and welcoming :)).

Then there's the tower. You made it walkable but I don't plan in having any jet on the map.

That's true... I could lower the tower..?

oh and after the first starting safehouse after the water there is a tree scenery that's on the ground polys.

Done on purpose. It had relatively low opacity, so it wasn't too much of a problem, but thanks for pointing that out :)

You also mentioned that you didn't plan to add more grass scenery becaus of lag but I don't think it'll have much of an effect as the TW maps dont suffer from it.

You've got a point. I won't add too much of that lush veg_grass because that uses transparency. I'll use a mix of nice default looking grass, and some other stuff.

Thanks for the comment

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:53:38 am »
Eh, but then since if you die once, then you are basically "perma-dead," I wanted to make it so that Zombies couldn't semi-hide themselves without the player's detecting, and thus the player dying because of the lack of detection. This map will get harder with the addition of the office building, and that forest section is just the beginning (meant to be nice and welcoming :)).
I was thinking that you keep the background fog and then make one additionally with 10-20% opacity for the player. SHouldn't make it too hard  ;)

That's true... I could lower the tower..?
If you want the players to walk on it.

OBEY!!!

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 05:06:23 am »
awful texture choice
that texture does not qualify as one that can portray grass non-marble terrain.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:42:27 am by Horve »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 05:41:04 am »
Very nice scenery (~a bit dodgy in some places) but good, love the rising sun next to the tree. 

keep working

Player since late 2007

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:52:34 pm »
ehm.... isint this mode suppost to be a levels mode? i mean the higher u are the more harder zmbies are there, and this map is like a tw map..

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:12 pm »
He isn't finished yet. If you look on my design layout(http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2711/epidealu3.jpg) then you'll see that there will be a building to the left with several floors. But you start out to the right and move until the building and make your way to the roof.

Then there is the question on how the zombies should spawn.

OBEY!!!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 01:43:54 am »
Made a few updates. Progress is somewhat slower since I've been doing some real stuff lately. Lowered the little tower so that players can simply jump on it. Fiddling with the background color... don't know if I like it yet.

With the office building, you enter in through the back. There will be some sort of simple lobby for the main entrance (on the left side of the building). In the first room you enter into in the office building, there is a secret heal point at the soda machine just for kicks. In Opposing Force (an expansion for Half-Life), you can refill a little bit of health at the soda machines.

My idea is, maybe harder zombies start when you get past the first Safe House (not the one you spawn in...), because that is where the hellish parking lot starts and where the land has made a full transition.

I'll change the texture... It'll be another vtt_some #'s
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:23:29 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 01:49:27 am »
Pretty cool

@the office building: is that meant to be a car on fire..?

Player since late 2007

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 02:16:19 am »
GJ blacksheepboy! I really like it.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 02:19:20 am »
Yup, the car is meant to be on fire. I'll let anyone guess on the scenery I used for the fire. Used this scenery because I couldn't find what I was originally looking for, and I was getting impatient.

Progress will be slow for the next couple days as my schedule is rather full of stuff... just thought I'd give a heads-up.

Edit:

I hope I'm not the one to place all of the spawns on this map :(, because it isn't a one-shot deal to the flag. Zombies will need places to die so that they can circulate, but then those spots need to be obvious so that players don't fall in and die by accident... I don't know exactly how the mod will work out, so I guess I could leave it up to blackdevil and Norbo to work out spawns...

Also, when placing spawns, you have to be careful because getting killed by one zombie that spawns behind you (and you don't see it): that is just a pain.

Waypoints? I could do those after spawns are dealt with.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:35:09 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline .Long-Range

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 02:19:27 am »
I love zombie modes. I read over the subgame mode for this and it sounds pretty cool. The map looks great too.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 04:41:35 am »
Looking great Blacksheepboy.
I will probably do the spawns. As for having places they'll die on don't worry I've seen a different zombie mode where you can make the zombies disappear at certain places with scripting. Lets hope Norbo can do it :p

OBEY!!!

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 06:17:07 am »
Looking great Blacksheepboy.
I will probably do the spawns. As for having places they'll die on don't worry I've seen a different zombie mode where you can make the zombies disappear at certain places with scripting. Lets hope Norbo can do it :p
Place the spawns everyware. If you place more spawns, the more zombies will there be in the certain point. I will make it that as the team advances futher the spawns behind them deactivate and in front activate.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 06:56:42 pm »
Awesome, that was what I saw thinking about. Sounds great. I could definitely not have to worry about placing spawns then, unless you guys would rather.

Date Posted: August 16, 2008, 04:43:06 am

I guess I want you guys to join me in every step of this mapping project. Have I mentioned that the office building is heavily inspired by Half-Life (specifically Opposing Force)? Well, it is.

Specifications of map so far is in the screenshot. I'll have to cut down on scenery usage in the office building or else this will be a very lag-friendly map (although most of the scenery is tiny).

Yes, only added 3 more rooms to the building, but it took me another hour and a half. Pretty ridiculous, huh? No one has to comment on this small progress, unless they find fault; I just felt the need to post steps at a time ::). Maybe just for reassurance that I haven't given up yet? (which I've been tempted to do..)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:05:14 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 03:28:30 am »
No! Dont give up now! Its great!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 03:44:26 am »
I haven't, but I've been tempted :P

Maybe just for reassurance that I haven't given up yet?

I guess I am just posting a step by step preview of the progress on this map for reassurance that I haven't bailed yet.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:46:04 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 03:50:08 am »
If you do that now then I'll kick you in the face :)

BTW don't forget tables/chairs or so here and there in the office building to let some of the players stand on.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:20:09 am by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 07:01:56 am »
Please don't give up, it's going good.  I like your scenery :)

Player since late 2007

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 03:57:40 am »
I am not going to give up.

I am starting to run out of ideas for what to do with each room in the office building, and how I can integrate multiplayer into each room...

Suffice it to say, I'll finish off the office building with a couple bigger rooms, and a few more offices. Would allow for a bit more variety than a bunch of offices and hallways can provide. And no, I don't have any better of a texture to replace the current texture, so the current texture stays..

Edit:

The office building alone would offer an interesting DM map...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:08:02 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 04:11:41 am »
Woah! Amazing, this looks rly cool. And if you don't know what other rooms you could do, you could make some kind of cafe for office staff xD you know what i mean, something more interesting than only plain office rooms. Could you also make a full picture of the full overview of the map?

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 04:21:18 am »
Sure, I'll edit this post with a new screenshot probably tomorrow... I will finish a bit more of the building first before the screenshot. I have a tad more to do to the lobby area, and the area outside the lobby.

I might make a cafe, but I don't have that type of scenery and couldn't think of any conservative way to manipulate current scenery to do thus... the thought has crossed my mind. Unless someone can make 2 food stands and some cafe-like tables (which would be useful to more than just me), I won't make any attempts with it..

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 05:12:43 am »
Sure, I'll edit this post with a new screenshot probably tomorrow... I will finish a bit more of the building first before the screenshot. I have a tad more to do to the lobby area, and the area outside the lobby.

I might make a cafe, but I don't have that type of scenery and couldn't think of any conservative way to manipulate current scenery to do thus... the thought has crossed my mind. Unless someone can make 2 food stands and some cafe-like tables (which would be useful to more than just me), I won't make any attempts with it..

Photoshop here i come ;]
Ill see what i can do and post it here.

EDIT: I failed :( No cafe then
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:31:26 am by Norbo »

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 06:17:23 am »
Was hard to find a good food stand(I don't think the one i found is exactly what you wanted tho). But i tried along with a few other things.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:18:56 am by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 12:09:50 pm »
Was hard to find a good food stand(I don't think the one i found is exactly what you wanted tho). But i tried along with a few other things.
nice :)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Extraction Point Final
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 12:29:12 am »
Thank yer. This stuff works awesomely dandy :-*

Date Posted: August 18, 2008, 12:10:09 pm

Finally, after many grueling hours, I have come to the end. This is the final look at this map. I'll release it soon in the CTF/INF section after I have worked out the polybugs. I'll also have the map specifications up here soon too.

I can say one thing right now; it has the maximum scenery load: 500. If it lags like a sex machine, I can turn most of the rooms in the office building into one scenery, which would decrease the amount greatly.

Phew... this took a lot of dedication. I almost feel silly for putting so much work into one Soldat map ::)

Downloads have not been updated...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:32:08 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline -Zombie-

• Camper
Re: Extraction Point Map-Final
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 12:37:59 am »
Nice job on that big office building, I would really like to see this on popular servers ;)

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 03:43:02 am »
wow, just wow!
You're an angel Blacksheepboy.
Thanks to this map Norbo can continue scripting on the gamemode  :-* :-* :-*

OBEY!!!

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 03:56:12 am »
Wooho!
It rocks :)
Realese the map so i can continue on the script

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 08:09:06 am »
Looks really nice the right side is awesome

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 03:27:27 pm »
wow, just wow!
You're an angel Blacksheepboy.

Far from it. Thanks for the positive feedback.

I'll whip up a releasable version today. There aren't any waypoints as I have just finished the layout and scenery. I have a feeling that I'll be the one waypointing this... but if anyone else could do it, I would be the one calling 'em an angel ;)

By the way, blackdevil, shall you be placing the Bravo spawns? I have all the grenade kits and Alpha taken care of already.

Edit:

Well, just took care of the spawns... You can review them if you'd like when I release it ;)

Edit2:

K, just finished packing the map. I did a bit of compacting with the scenery. Turned the library, cafe, and one hallway into one scenery. Lessed the lag a decent amount.

Downloads have been updated in the first post. Won't release it at the CTF/INF section but it isn't really done until the whole mod is finished. Enjoy. Hope my spawns work out fine.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:58:38 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 03:42:38 pm »
I guess I can make the waypoints and spawns. I'll need some info from Norbo how the zombie spawns will work first though so I can adapt them after his scripting. If he can dissable spawns after the survivors pass them then It'll be good or an other way he thinks will be good.

BTW I don't plan to give any grenades for this map. But I guess my modes map is going to be a little different from the one you'll release for others.

EDIT:  :-*
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:47:20 pm by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 03:49:26 pm »
I guess I can make the waypoints and spawns. I'll need some info from Norbo how the zombie spawns will work first though so I can adapt them after his scripting. If he can dissable spawns after the survivors pass them then It'll be good or an other way he thinks will be good.

BTW I don't plan to give any grenades for this map. But I guess my modes map is going to be a little different from the one you'll release for others.

EDIT:  :-*
Can we talk on irc? it will be more comfortable...

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »
When are you going to release it Blacksheepboy? Or are you just teasing us right now ;)

Sent you a pm,Norbo.

OBEY!!!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 05:01:02 pm »
Why no grenades :(. It's your mod, I'm just curious. Btw, check my last post on this page. I updated it.

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 05:23:58 pm »
so i checked the map in polyworks
it rocks :) and the spawn points are placed perfectly and are really balanced!
finally i can continue :)

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 05:31:43 pm »
I hate nade spamming and it would ruin the fun I believe when everyone would just throw nades all over the place. But one of the classes might have them(?).

Gonna check this map now ;)

EDIT: The map is awesome.
Now I just need manage to get on irc with Norbo do talk about the rest of the stuff.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:45:32 pm by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 01:47:39 am »
After looking over your sig blacksheep, this map stood out. Since inf_Foundation was great, this map should be good. So far, from the overview, it looks so.

I'll download it straight away!
Proudly Australian :)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
Well, it's more of an aesthetic 'workout' than meant for good gameplay.  Vig was right with the texture.  It looks nice from the overview, but ingame towards the cabin, it doesn't suit well.  Btw, it is not waypointed.

I could take it and make it an interesting 'office building' INF map by removing the the right section to it, but that will happen at another time.  Or, it could even be refitted for an office building DM map.

Thanks for your optimism though :)

Edit:

Er, yes. That was rather a sort of 'necro' post, but thanks all the same.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:02:59 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2009, 04:03:28 am »
but ingame towards the cabin
I haven't tried the map out yet, so I'll see if I'll agree or not.

Btw, it is not waypointed.
Oh damn. I'll use it for my LAN games then.

I could take it and make it an interesting 'office building
I'm a realism enthusiast so if you're saying you're going to improve it, sure why not.

Thanks for your optimism though
Welcome :)
Proudly Australian :)

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 07:15:27 am »
Hmm the map is very good for L4D mod but when I run this map on dedicated server Ill always get "Wrong map version detected". I have tried renaming but still same error occurs every 3-4 seconds.
Is it only for me? Any Fix out there?

Got it working by placing new polygon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:10:22 pm by Mercury92 »
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 01:54:58 pm »
Hmm the map is very good for L4D mod

I've thought about it. Was originally supposed to be for some sort of zombie mod

Would have to edit some sections a good deal though (the cabin area up the 1st safe-house bothers me if I haven't said this before)

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 02:13:45 pm »
Hey,

Can someone waypoint this awesome map for L4D script?
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=37462.msg458688#msg458688
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »
It is waypointed actually.. But I suppose you mean a specific version for the script.

Not waypointed. I actually confused this for another map :|
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:51:32 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 05:19:02 pm »
You mean on first post. It is Bot waypointed map?
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »
I'm transferring my Soldat files over from one pooter to another so I can just upload the latest version.

And I just realized that this is a year-old thread >.<

PS. All my Soldat directories/files/whatever are a mess.. so uh.. along with the really slow transfer.. this'll take a while to organize and upload. Expect tomorrow for there to be some new version in the CTF/INF Mapping section.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:51:03 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 05:51:57 pm »
Ok thanks for information.
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 02:58:56 pm »
I'm transferring my Soldat files over from one pooter to another so I can just upload the latest version.

And I just realized that this is a year-old thread >.<

PS. All my Soldat directories/files/whatever are a mess.. so uh.. along with the really slow transfer.. this'll take a while to organize and upload. Expect tomorrow for there to be some new version in the CTF/INF Mapping section.
So what about new version :P?
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 03:26:31 pm »
i did some transferring, and I really don't know what happened to my last 4 er so months of work, which has been nil, but it included fixing stuff for this map. erf. thought I backed up everything all proper. turns out i might tossed it on my flash drive, then deleted it off my flash drive by mistake. hum.