Author Topic: Make ALL of the saw blade lethal.  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Lumen-Shroom

• Soldier
Make ALL of the saw blade lethal.
« on: August 23, 2008, 06:14:49 pm »
This would be huge. It would mean ping would mean less in saw servers, and it would also mean you could saw someone when backflipping. As it is, you can, but only the tip is lethal, like it is normally.

Proof at the end of this demo when I backflip into the guy from the flagspawn.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
Re: Make ALL of the saw blade lethal.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:17:45 am »
Can you upload the map so I can view the demo.

I've tried this, and there is no way that you can Saw while backflipping yet

Make a proper demo of you slicing some guy with a saw while the backflip animation is in progress and I will believe you. 

Player since late 2007

Offline amb2010

• Camper
  • Fear the dot ...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:38:42 am »
Well I've watched the demo like 10 times...and you never backflip that I can see... Now either I'm blind or you don't understand what a backflip is...

The map. All I see is you turning while getting up from prone...Now if I'm missing it could you maybe give a picture of where you backflip and kill someone exactly...?

EDIT: I've even watched it at 50% and 75% speed and still don't see anything...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:43:17 am by amb2010 »
And as the lyrics go in the United State's national anthem: "America, f**k YEAH!".

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:08:23 am »
Wheres the backflip?
It's impossible btw.

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:34:34 am »
Yes, it's impossible.  Your ammo doesn't even go down - your saw is making the sound, but not spewing any crazyness death-bringing matter on the men.  Is only the tip lethal right now?  Because there's countless times where people have punched the saw out of my hand and I havn't understood why, so maybe that's why
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:01:19 am »
Yea it only damages at the tip as it is.  Go crouch behind a sicky-out bit of terrain and put the center of the blade on it, and it doesn't register anything hitting the terrain unless you put the tip of the blade on it

Player since late 2007

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:54:07 am »
making it 1 hit kill would be an awesome idea.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:36:41 am »
How is having a few more pixels do damage going to help the saw?
And it wouldn't make the saw able to kill while back flipping, as nothing can shoot while in the animation.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:39:53 am »
Sometimes you don't go run into someone, sometimes you fall on them (superman move for example) and you get the guy noy on the tip but in the middle of saw, thus he runs away creaming you...
Text goes here...

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:48:57 am »
Hmm, seems like a waste of effort for a scenario that wouldn't happen very much :|.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 04:55:37 am »
^^
My above post, it does, and gets extremely annoying when it gets punched out of your hand because you don't think that's possible
And yeahhh making it 1 hit would be good
Never thought about that
But there's heaps of times when you get them to VERY low health and I don't know how that happens
Is it lag?

EDIT: Spellign mistkae
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 05:32:50 am »
Hit-fk'n-reg

It's mainly just lag so yer

From what I recall, the Aus saw war sydney server (long gone now) had a buffed chainsaw, pretty sure they just upped the damage the tiniest bit to make it a 1 hit kill, was good to saw in almost reg-free conditions

Player since late 2007

Offline Noobinabox

• Major
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44:02 pm »
It's great having only the tip be lethal in zombie servers.

You go to a zombie spawn and crouch with a knife.

*SHANK *SHANK * SHANK
You Raff You Ruse.

Offline Pragma

• Soldier
  • Blood, Guts and Gunsmoke
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 03:41:28 pm »
F12

Hmm, seems like a waste of effort for a scenario that wouldn't happen very much :|.

This happens to me quite a bit on One-Shots, where you have a lot more run-and-jump melee time than a typical match.   

I could almost swear that some pros take direct advantage of this "feature" when approached with a jumping sawman.  In a most martial-arts-like way I'm routinely disarmed, stabbed or shot in the back because they always wind up between me and the tip of my saw.   All the while, I'm expecting to do some kind of damage to them because there's a whirling chain of death and dismemberment overlapping their gostek.  In fact, until I read this post I chalked all of the above up to latency and the typical piss-poor client prediction problems.

While I'm sure its something that a player can eventually be accustomed to, its not at all intuitive and plays exactly like a bug.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake.  Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 08:29:28 pm »
^^
Exactlyy
Also, with the spawn campers, more than half the time you spawn with your saw blade overlapping them but they flippin elude the tip and kill you

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 09:11:50 pm »
hm that hasn't happened to me much but I do enjoy exploiting it while spawn camping people with saw.

But the question is about should we fix it, by the sounds of it, there is much more use of it than spawn camping :P  I don't really follow the general sawing knowledge, I just taught myself pretty much, so I dont really know much about the bug but it sounds like many others have adapted to using it..

Player since late 2007

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 09:14:25 pm »
Well, it is as bad as a bug I reckon, and prevent the leet guys who come straight through your saw and disarm you.  It should also help with reg issues as there's more chance of you hitting... not sure if this is true though

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:56 pm »
This is not a bug. Despite the saw/knife/fist looking and working like a "melee" weapons they're actually guns, except that they destroy the bullet after a very short period of time. The tip-kill effect is just that the gun 'muzzle' is, well, located farther forward than with the knife or fist. Right now it's well balanced, since you can't just ram yourself into a guy that's backed on a wall with the saw like you can with a knife, and the saw can get disarmed easily, unlike with the knife.

F11, we all want to buff our favorite guns, but this thing is part of the saw's charm. Next time you'll ask for increased movement speed while holding a saw.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 10:19:35 pm »

F11, we all want to buff our favorite guns, but this thing is part of the saw's charm. Next time you'll ask for increased movement speed while holding a saw.
Which already can be done? >.>
Text goes here...

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 11:41:01 pm »
I find it annoying that more people use the saw than the knife. Although I don't mind using the saw from time to time, I just want to learn how to use the knife, but getting sawed in the face the second you respawn isn't helping my learning curve. :-/