Author Topic: shift = Run faster (BF2,crysis,farcry,TC elite....)  (Read 6962 times)

Offline MY_FIREMAN_IS_HUGE

• Soldier
  • Fags.
Re: shift = Run faster (BF2,crysis,farcry,TC elite....)
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 06:10:32 pm »
Learn to Bunny hop faster, Simple.
In Russia, Car drive you.  [AUG] + [DE]

Offline amb2010

• Camper
  • Fear the dot ...
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 07:42:17 pm »
Alright frunk sense you shoot down anything negative about it(with good reason I guess) explain why this needs to be added and how it makes the gameplay so much better. Besides the fact it makes the game faster(seems most people think this is a bad thing)
And as the lyrics go in the United State's national anthem: "America, f**k YEAH!".

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 07:51:33 pm »
Let me add my two cents:
I've been for making the game faster since 1.3.1. I've tried to suggest universal buffs, faster base movement speed, ETC, but it's all been denied for the same reason: "It'd make the game unlike soldat." Well, duh. It'll make it better.
The action will move much faster. It would help newbs because you would be able to run away if the situation gets hairy. On the flipside, it would add a bit of challenge to those who consider themselves to be "Pros".

I am all for this. Just think about it, how it would actually effect the the game.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 08:42:46 pm »
Right now with the way Soldat is made - your speed is totally dependent on you. Like in CS or many other FPS games - you are either moving at this speed or holding shift and moving at that speed.

In Soldat, your speed is controlled by your ability to 'bunny hop', bounce off the polys, and even nade or spas boost yourself. It's a hell of a lot more dynamic.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 08:50:06 pm »
You could always do a mini-cannonball to get like 3 times the speed as usual. :p
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline wolfbr

• Camper
  • HurBaN NinJa(Ninja hurbano), the power of Thunders
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 11:33:03 pm »
the run function improves the gameplay.

jump = used by jump,jump obstacles (not to run)
run = used to run, to get more speed

simple

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 02:54:00 am »
Leave these big multiplayer gameplay ideas out of Soldat. Soldat has it's own style, so if you don't like it, go play something else.

Why is it every time anyone suggests something, there's always at least one person convinced it'll ruin the very idea of Soldat and it's simplicity? Soldat has had big changes before. People have bltched over every single one of them, but I doubt those people would want to go back to the original.

MINOR CHANGES LIKE THIS WILL NOT RUIN GAMEPLAY.

"SIMPLICITY" IS NOT A FRAGILE IDEA ON THE BRINK OF DESTRUCTION.

IF YOU OPPOSE AN IDEA GIVE A LEGITIMATE REASON, NOT THIS BULLSH!T COP OUT.

Thanks, and feck you and everyone who has ever said this without a supporting reason.

Personally, I think this would work out with the COD4 system of not being able to shoot while sprinting. Possibly borrowing the stamina recharge time as well.
Fine, you want my reason?

Soldat has it's own style, and that's my argument. It has it's own art of movement involved, and I believe bringing in something like this "shift to run" will ruin it. You've gotta learn how to move fast, whether you bunnyhop or prone jet, there's still some style involved in it.

Instead of learning how to move fast, you just want to bring in a shift key which does all the work for you. Not only do I think that it's a stupid idea, I don't think it would work very smoothly either. You'd only be able to do it on the ground, because it doesn't make any sense in the air and you have the prone jets thing anyway, and the ground being buggy to run on most of the time is the reason why we have bunnyhopping available.

No need to bring in this sprinting bullfeck. If you wanna go faster, grab a shotgun.

F11.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:00:37 am by SpiltCoffee »
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline japes

• Major(1)
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 04:50:55 pm »
Are you kidding me? I never just "run" when I move. I'm constantly lunging (pressing up) to speed up. any1 can move unaturally fast like this without shift. Anybody who uses this feature would be horribly handicapped.

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 05:46:22 pm
Let me add my two cents:
I've been for making the game faster since 1.3.1. I've tried to suggest universal buffs, faster base movement speed, ETC, but it's all been denied for the same reason: "It'd make the game unlike soldat." Well, duh. It'll make it better.
The action will move much faster. It would help newbs because you would be able to run away if the situation gets hairy. On the flipside, it would add a bit of challenge to those who consider themselves to be "Pros".

I am all for this. Just think about it, how it would actually effect the the game.
So everybody gets a chance to win?

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 05:00:43 pm »
Let me add my two cents:

So everybody gets a chance to win?
It would help make a more even playing field, at least, and help new players get more interested in the game, rather than frustrated.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 07:19:23 pm »
Fine, you want my reason?

Soldat has it's own style, and that's my argument. It has it's own art of movement involved, and I believe bringing in something like this "shift to run" will ruin it. You've gotta learn how to move fast, whether you bunnyhop or prone jet, there's still some style involved in it.

Instead of learning how to move fast, you just want to bring in a shift key which does all the work for you. Not only do I think that it's a stupid idea, I don't think it would work very smoothly either. You'd only be able to do it on the ground, because it doesn't make any sense in the air and you have the prone jets thing anyway, and the ground being buggy to run on most of the time is the reason why we have bunnyhopping available.

No need to bring in this sprinting bullfeck. If you wanna go faster, grab a shotgun.

F11.

I'm not thinking of it as a replacement for jet, but rather as a new edge to movement. We already have the ability to switch between bunny-hopping, rolling, and cannonballing. This would actually make running occasionally a viable choice, when as of now it's a death sentence. It adds a way for new people to go fast, and for old ones to be unpredictable and switch around movement types. Plus, in matters of actual gameplay functionality, I have a bunch of ideas to balance it (Just for example, if you do a sprint jump, you'll go farther and automatically go into a roll when you land, then you can fire again. Unless you jet, in which case it would just go to the normal take-your-weapon-back-out animation.)

I dunno. It's nothing groundbreaking, I just think it would ultimately make the game better and solve more problems than it introduces. Also, kind of offtopic but I think pressing z to do a matrix style backwards prone was the best idea in a long time.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 05:20:36 am »
f11, why slow down the game in any way? Thats all this would do, sorry.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 08:01:05 am »
My reasons to say F11:

1) This is Soldat
You gain speed by bunny-hopping, poly bouncing, prone jetting etc.

2) It's just a faster run
Yep, it's just a faster version of run. And how useless is run in Soldat? VERY useless. Why? You move slow, you may not be able to avoid grenades on the ground which you might not have noticed or have noticed. When you go up hills, you can barely go up. It wouldn't be any different except for an increase in speed, which I reckon that bunny hopping is still faster.

3) What about in the air?
Exactly. What if your Soldat guy is in the air? And most Soldat fights are probably in mid-air, one way or another. Will this "sprint" also affect the Soldat in terms of speed? Then that's more like "burst of speed" rather than "sprint".

I can see why some of you support the sprint. It's like adding possibility of more new moves etc, like sprinting and then jumping really high or far, but it would complicate lots of things and create more balancing problems.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:03:32 am by STM1993 »

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 12:16:41 pm »
My reasons to say F11:

1) This is Soldat
You gain speed by bunny-hopping, poly bouncing, prone jetting etc.
Because those are the ONLY ways to gain speed.
Yep, it's just a faster version of run. And how useless is run in Soldat? VERY useless. Why? You move slow, you may not be able to avoid grenades on the ground which you might not have noticed or have noticed. When you go up hills, you can barely go up. It wouldn't be any different except for an increase in speed, which I reckon that bunny hopping is still faster.
Exactly, it would add an option not previously there, it would add a way to move almost as fast, if not as fast as bunnyhopping.
Exactly. What if your Soldat guy is in the air? And most Soldat fights are probably in mid-air, one way or another. Will this "sprint" also affect the Soldat in terms of speed? Then that's more like "burst of speed" rather than "sprint".
I don't think so. This suggestion is just about a way to move on the ground faster, because there are plenty of ways to get air-speed.

I can see why some of you support the sprint. It's like adding possibility of more new moves etc, like sprinting and then jumping really high or far, but it would complicate lots of things and create more balancing problems.
This suggestion isn't for the advanced players, but the people newer to soldat and people who don't know all the advanced techniques. Not only that, but there currently is no way to move fast on the ground.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:19:27 pm by mxyzptlk »

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 07:58:41 pm »
Not only that, but there currently is no way to move fast on the ground.
How long have you been playing Soldat? Tried bunnyhopping? Cannonballing? Using a weapon to boost yourself?
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 08:19:24 pm »
My reasons to say F11:

1) This is Soldat    <----THAT IS NOT A REASON.
You gain speed by bunny-hopping, poly bouncing, prone jetting etc. These are...technically. They just aren't proving anything. Yes, Soldat has bunny hopping, poly bouncing, and prone jetting. That doesn't really say anything about why this wouldn't work out.

Yes, as of now run is useless. THAT WHY I'M SUPPORTING A SUGGESTION THAT WOULD MAKE IT SLIGHTLY LESS USELESS. Bunny hopping would still be faster, but this wouldn't just be a dumbed down bunny hop. There are actual times where this would be the better movement to use (just for one example, those tunnels in shau where bunny hopping is as likely to knock you back with crappy polys as it is to move you forward.)

If running wasn't completely useless then more people might land occasionally. It would at least make you less of a sitting duck when you run out of jet and need a few seconds to recharge it.

That's a nice term to throw around, but I honestly can't think of any cases that would qualify as balancing problems.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 12:16:46 am »
Not only that, but there currently is no way to move fast on the ground.
How long have you been playing Soldat? Tried bunnyhopping? Cannonballing? Using a weapon to boost yourself?
I said on the ground. let me quote Frunk up there and say: "There are actual times where this would be the better movement to use (just for one example, those tunnels in shau where bunny hopping is as likely to knock you back with crappy polys as it is to move you forward.)" This would add another facet to Soldat, to make it a little bit better.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 01:50:05 am »
I said on the ground.
Well, duh. Bunnyhopping and Cannonballing can only be performed on the ground.

And if there are polybugs that are going to stop you from bunnyhopping, what hope does a sprint have in getting past them?

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 02:43:45 am »
Are you sure you know what bunny-hopping is? It sounds like you don't. You have to jump to gain speed, because you can't get enough on the ground to stand a chance. By on the ground, I exclude jumping as well as jetting. Rolling can be faster than walking, but not always. There needs to be a diverse set of moves.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 06:27:50 am »
Whats the point of this... making this game more nub friendly?
Moving fast (or *really* fast) requires some practice and skill in Soldat. It would be also annoying for most soldat players who are playing for more than 2 days.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 12:33:16 pm »
Not just making it newb friendly, but just making the game faster in general.