Author Topic: shift = Run faster (BF2,crysis,farcry,TC elite....)  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
Re: shift = Run faster (BF2,crysis,farcry,TC elite....)
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 12:40:06 pm »
Whats the point of this... making this game more nub friendly? And that's a bad thing? It's not just the nubs this would benefit, and there wouldn't be a problem if it was.
Moving fast (or *really* fast) requires some practice and skill in Soldat. It would be also annoying for most soldat players who are playing for more than 2 days. ...How? Seriously, name one case where this would be annoying. Otherwise you're just another casual game elitist in my book.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 12:47:17 pm »
... it would require weapon rebalancing.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2008, 01:09:58 pm »
... it would require weapon rebalancing.
How so? All it would require is a little getting used to. People can already move faster by bunnyhopping, so you can't say that the speed would throw it off.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2008, 01:22:16 pm »
Depends on how it would work - only on the ground or just extra speed in any situation;

only on the ground - depends on how big the effect would be; if it would be rather small, like 30-40%, then it would be useless (bunnyhopping...)
in any situation - ehm I don't wanna people boosting around and firing spas at me from 3m...

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 01:46:17 pm »
But people can already do that with bunny hopping, and I don't see you whining about that.

I'm thinking extra speed on the ground. Amount depends on how much would be balance, but probably slower than bunny hopping.

And again, weapon balance doesn't even come into play here, so everyone can stop bringing that up.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline wolfbr

• Camper
  • HurBaN NinJa(Ninja hurbano), the power of Thunders
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2008, 08:20:24 pm »
run in "realistic mode", is a good idea?

in normal mode, bunny hopping
in realistic mode, shift = Run

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 08:54:22 pm »
weapon balance doesn't even come into play here, so everyone can stop bringing that up.

Explain why the weapon balance doesn't come into play in this suggestion.

Also, instead of making a sprint function with the shift button, why do you not suggest making the current run speed faster?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:57:53 pm by STM1993 »

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2008, 08:56:03 pm »
I'd rather not have to hold down another fecking button just to move quickly in a simple 2D shooter.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2008, 10:55:55 pm »
weapon balance doesn't even come into play here, so everyone can stop bringing that up.
Also, instead of making a sprint function with the shift button, why do you not suggest making the current run speed faster?
Because this is already a radical change, asking to change the default physics at all would bring... Well, you know what kind of reception it would get.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2008, 12:03:25 am »

Explain why the weapon balance doesn't come into play in this suggestion.

This...is why it doesn't even come into play in this suggestion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NcUk5_mmYY

Far Cry, Crysis, BF2, etc, are all major and commercially released PC games, so it's beyond me why you'd want to suggest this for a simple yet "deep" 2d game.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2008, 01:31:38 am »
Amount depends on how much would be balance, but probably slower than bunny hopping.
Then what would be the point of it, if you can use something else that goes faster? And don't give me that "oh, but there's tunnels on shau that give me headaches" crap. I tried bunnyhopping in there, and I went faster than I would in open air because I got pushed straight back down to the ground, thus enabling a faster hop.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2008, 02:14:10 am »
Amount depends on how much would be balance, but probably slower than bunny hopping.
Then what would be the point of it, if you can use something else that goes faster? And don't give me that "oh, but there's tunnels on shau that give me headaches" crap. I tried bunnyhopping in there, and I went faster than I would in open air because I got pushed straight back down to the ground, thus enabling a faster hop.
Even though I agree with you, those tunnels can be (or were) annoying. Mostly the top one. I haven't played a game on that map since like 1.3.1 though, so I couldn't say more.

Anyways this idea is useless. Hopping is much more awesome and more unique to soldat.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2008, 10:57:50 am »
Hopping is much more awesome and more unique to soldat.
What?
Bunny hopping was blatantly stolen from quake series and counterstrike, True, it's slightly different due to two dimensions instead of 3, but the basics of it is are the same: Jump to move faster. It's not a unique idea at all.

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2008, 02:50:03 pm »
I'd rather not have to hold down another fecking button just to move quickly in a simple 2D shooter.

I agree, just make the guy move faster, or don't do anything at all.