Poll

Were you active back in the 'old' forums?

Yes.
31 (55.4%)
No.
25 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: The forum as it evolves..  (Read 7078 times)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
The forum as it evolves..
« on: August 24, 2008, 04:44:15 pm »
Hey people, doing a little personal study here.
Do you think the forums have improved over time, and why/why not? Also, please answer the poll, and feel free to discuss. :)

As for me, I was active back in the forums. Anddespite losing some of it's more interresting members, I think the forums have improved.

Thanks,
echo
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:46:17 pm by echo_trail »
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
Re: The forum as it evolves..
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:49:57 pm »
I honestly can't say whether or not the forums have improved because too many things have changed. The way the forums have progressed has brought about both benefits and drawbacks, but the changes are simply too many for me to say that the forums have definitely improved or deteriorated.

The members are different, the strictness of the rules is different, the atmosphere itself is completely different.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:52:30 pm »
Ah yes. I was way more active on the old forums. Had over 1000 posts there, not counting the lounge and bash pit ones.
But then I was way more active with soldat stuff. Frequently visited the other sections of the forums, and even had my own video project going (soldat gags) Had big plans to revive the series actually, but I never got the ball rolling.

Was also alot of members back then that are no longer active. People that made great comics, mods and other stuff, but we still have that I guess.

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:54:37 pm »
I was a member for a short time in the old forums. I think I joined there after playing Soldat for around two years, somewhere right before we switched over to the new ones. I don't remember much of the old forums (probably because I was 11 at the time); but I do remember how the site looked (I've got one or two screenshots), that almost everyone had like 3000 posts, and that I posted a few maps and some probably extremely childish replies to a bunch of topics.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:56:47 pm »
IMO th Forums are improving slightly all the time. We are all having difficulties like new people, idiots, spammers, and such, but new people slowly start to fit in, idiots are just being kicked in their asses, and spammers get warned (or banned). And about old forums, I wasn't even there, was I?
Text goes here...

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:40:20 pm »
Its all alright to me, nothing has really changed. I've been around longer than people think, I just never post. They have changed but then again I can't really tell you about the old forums because I was like 12. In general though, I think they have just changed. Not good or bad, its just different.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:42:52 pm »
the people way back in the old forums were incredible unforgettable characters, the newbies are, well, forgettable
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:46:44 pm »
peemonkey for bot mod

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:15:08 pm »
they have declined to a point where any humour has been drained and replaced with stupid catchphrases and there are very few interesting people left

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »
and all the oldfags just bitch bitch bitch
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:58:22 pm »
I got here a while after the old forums, but I'd lurked for a while there as a guest.

I can't really say, but the old forums seemed a lot more organized to me.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 09:47:51 pm »
Despite being a relatively newer Soldat player/forum-goer (April 2006 on 1.3.1), and not being a member of the old forums (which are famous or infamous from what I've observed, depending on which perspective you take), from what I have witnessed so far, it seems that there isn't much progress in terms of new personalities or discussions. All current threads in The Lounge consist of either sporadic and random posts with little relevance to the original topic or redundant posts that further the "discussion" nowhere.

We have ignorant complaints about the weapon balances from new people virtually all the time, with their prompt disappearance soon afterward due to aforementioned trolls or people who are simply too harsh on newcomers. Speaking of the weapon balance, I wonder if the beta testers even pay attention to that section anymore.

We have a handful of resident trolls, which, because they are "entertaining" or "fun", are amazingly still here, while contributing little other than inane ramblings of nonsensical mumbo jumbo or causing derailment of otherwise decent threads or grievances and calling every other person a lovergot or female dog.

It's a shame, really, that some of the more sane and intelligent forum members have been forced to having this forum overrun by teenagers with too much free time on their hands.

I also feel as if I am noticed little or otherwise not noticed at all due to the fact that I usually don't speak my mind about others and/or use every curse word known to man in half of the posts I make.

In short, do I think the forum has improved? No, but I also don't think it has degraded, either. It simply needs... change.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:51:24 pm by Twistkill »

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 09:59:47 pm »
they have declined to a point where any humour has been drained and replaced with stupid catchphrases and there are very few interesting people left

I agree with Twistkill.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 10:04:40 pm »
@Twistie: I definitely see where you're coming from, mate, and I think much, if not everything, you said is true. But that's just the negative side, and I think there's a positive one as well. After all, new blood is what'll make soldat hold on in the future, and it secures it's continuing development. And what you say about not being noticed, I think that's wrong actually. I think many of the more steady 'elitist' forumers, such as yourself, help provide a certain guide in terms of behaviour. I think many of the newcomers 'look up' to you, and 'cept for the lounge, there's actually a chance you might have an impact. Well, let's face it, the lounge is lost.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 10:32:39 pm »
Lets face it... Soldat Enhanced saved the forums.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 11:34:22 pm »
We have a handful of resident trolls, which, because they are "entertaining" or "fun", are amazingly still here, while contributing little other than inane ramblings of nonsensical mumbo jumbo or causing derailment of otherwise decent threads or grievances and calling every other person a lovergot or female dog.

It's a shame, really, that some of the more sane and intelligent forum members have been forced to having this forum overrun by teenagers with too much free time on their hands.
i disagree entirely with this. the minute you start focusing more on being 'intelligent' or 'mature' is the minute you stop just trying to be interesting, and anyone who has to demonstrate their perceived intelligence everywhere they possibly can is simply a moron with something to prove. so while i disagree with the irritating, repetitive bullshit of 4chan, it's still a lot better than dry, tedius ramblings about whether or not there is a god, or "I NEED HELP WITH LINUX"

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 11:40:38 pm »
Twist knowing where you go besides these forums... your opinion is going to be crap. Your zelda forums are filled with a bunch of emo-teeny moist place between the legss all coddling each other and telling everyone they are special. Once the average age gets past 13 we can stop treating each other like infants and start insulting each other like real men do.

And you are totally wrong, I see God threads on r9k all the time frogboy.
@ii

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 11:49:31 pm »
Twist knowing where you go besides these forums... your opinion is going to be crap.

Sorry man, but I think your basing your opinions on Twistkill's reply is going to be crap too. I mean, seriously, where did the his-opinion-is-crap-because-the-forum-he-goes-to-is-crap come from? That's not cool, and you're not cool in that way.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 11:53:14 pm »
These forums got interesting with the Fisting Zone...

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 12:00:53 am »
Twist knowing where you go besides these forums... your opinion is going to be crap.

Sorry man, but I think your basing your opinions on Twistkill's reply is going to be crap too. I mean, seriously, where did the his-opinion-is-crap-because-the-forum-he-goes-to-is-crap come from? That's not cool, and you're not cool in that way.
Because he posts like he is still there? Also they are the reason he types out long boring posts to begin with. They all go crazy when he looks up a $2 word on dictionary.com and uses it in a debate.

And when the heck did I ask you to be my friend? I don't care if you think what I say is cool or not. Doesn't stop me from being right though.

These forums got interesting with the Fisting Zone...
No they didn't, because morons like you totally missed the point. It was suppose to be a place where people could rip into people and create delicious drama for others to feed off of, but no you morons had to screw that up as well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:02:41 am by † »
@ii