Author Topic: Soldat DS!!!!  (Read 6608 times)

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
Soldat DS!!!!
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:45:17 pm »
What would be more awesome than this? Our favorite game on our favorite handheld! (f*** PSP, just get a CycloDS and you can watch movies, music, and all that crap.) Why can't enesce and MM team up with a publisher to make this game? I was thinking Sega or Atari. I really hope this comes true!!!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:51:17 pm by miketh2005 »
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
Re: Soldat DS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:57:09 pm »
Mind explaining what this is actually for?
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 06:59:01 pm »
SOldat on Nitendo DS? Never gonna happen :P
Text goes here...

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 07:01:07 pm »
Oh, I didn't notice the screens were on a DS. [retard]
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »
Besides, maps don't match... the top one and bottom one are different (bottom one is a TW map anyways... while top one is default)
Text goes here...

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:53:38 pm »
I didn't feel like looking for what map that bottom screen was so I just used Voland. (I don't play TW too often) . BTW this wasn't meant to trick ppl or anything, it's just a suggestion. The touch screen is perfect for soldat, why can't it happen?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:06:35 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:00:35 pm »
Small soldiers even smaller than before on a small screen? Not gonna happen. Even though I wish it'd happen, if a few fudging around was possible without losing the style and flavor that soldat has.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:03 pm »
Not going to happen. Especially considering it will cost alot of cash, and this game generates $0.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:02:25 pm »
Not directly, anyway.....>.>

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 10:06:56 pm »
Hell, the Soldiers would look like a pepper particle on a DS screen.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:42:43 pm »

make em bigger...

Date Posted: August 26, 2008, 11:41:46 pm
Not going to happen. Especially considering it will cost alot of cash, and this game generates $0.

How much would it cost?  and If I donated would you do it? (i could donate like 5 million ...soon, i mean)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:07:26 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 10:57:48 pm »
(i could donate like 50 million ...soon, i mean)
Are you bragging?

Not going to ever happen (read the stickies); the creator of Soldat has said that it will never be ported to a console. It's just...impossible. Reasons why:

• Soldat exclusively uses Microsoft's DirectX for graphics, which the DS doesn't support.
  • Soldat is written in Borland Delphi which most likely does not have a compiler to make a binary for whatever processor and operating system the DS uses
  • In the DS' case, it has extremely low specs. (I think like 10MHZ processor and a few megs of ram, the last time I looked.) That wouldn't support Soldat at all.
  • In order to make a game for a console, you need the console's SDK, which you have to get a contract for which will cost a pooload of cash.

Sorry for being a killjoy, but you've gotta except this realization.
^^^

hmm; didn't MM mention that he's made around half a million USD from member registrations?
There are other worlds than these

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:14:32 pm »
Yeah, but you might of heard about that. :P
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 12:27:21 am »
Yeah... kinda wished I would've seen this topic before I made mine...

Still the way this guy is going at it is all wrong.

I always find it funny of all these new people to game dev trying to make a game to make money, rather then making a game just for fun.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 01:47:16 am »
How would the controls work anyway? 

I dont see how any console at the moment is able to grasp the power of the mouse >.>

Player since late 2007

Offline Scrooge

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 02:11:24 am »
This has been suggested many times before. I think aiming wouldnt be a problem. It could be kinda like the aiming with metroid, ie use the stylus and touch screen. Then L and R to shoot and boost. This arrises another problem of not enough buttons.
R.I.P Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 02:26:28 am »
The aim would be fucked.  period

Player since late 2007

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 01:40:31 pm »
(i could donate like 50 million ...soon, i mean)
Are you bragging?

I meant 5 million, sorry

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 02:14:37 pm
The aim would be fecked. period

how? have u even played metroid DS? its quite conveint (however u spell it)

Controls:

Stylus to aim. Touch the soldat or a button on the screen to change wep, double click to throw wep
R to shoot
L to throw grenade, double click L to boost
D-pad to jump, crouch, run / walk
A to prone
Select to bring up / down radar
Use the stylus and go to the edge of screen to change camera position, just like on the computer.

I think that's it :D like it?

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 02:22:56 pm
Yeah... kinda wished I would've seen this topic before I made mine...

Still the way this guy is going at it is all wrong.

I always find it funny of all these new people to game dev trying to make a game to make money, rather then making a game just for fun.

what guy? im not saying to go for it to make money, im saying to go for it because we all would love it, plus it would bring a fack load of ppl in to play Soldat.

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 02:24:15 pm
Not going to ever happen (read the stickies); the creator of Soldat has said that it will never be ported to a console. It's just...impossible. Reasons why:

• Soldat exclusively uses Microsoft's DirectX for graphics, which the DS doesn't support.
  • Soldat is written in Borland Delphi which most likely does not have a compiler to make a binary for whatever processor and operating system the DS uses
  • In the DS' case, it has extremely low specs. (I think like 10MHZ processor and a few megs of ram, the last time I looked.) That wouldn't support Soldat at all.
  • In order to make a game for a console, you need the console's SDK, which you have to get a contract for which will cost a pooload of cash.

Sorry for being a killjoy, but you've gotta except this realization.
^^^

With a little work, couldn't all this be re-done? Soldat isn't actually a BIG game to be re-done, it would be nice to add some extra features to it anyway, like a Single Player mode with storyline and stuff, way better AI, an extras menu, improved grahics, etc.

The DS has the following specs:

CPUs: Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-S main CPU and ARM7TDMI co-processor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively. The ARM946E-S CPU processes 3D rendering and the ARM7TDMI processes 2D rendering for DS games and Game boy Advance gameplay.

RAM: 4 MB of Mobile RAM

Is this still not enough? If so, we could sell the game with a RAM expansion, just like the opera browser...

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 02:35:23 pm

Again, if I could watch a full legth movie on the DS' screen, I can see a soldat, again we can make ema a little bigger, If you ever played Worms open warfare, then you can make 'em as big as those small worms. Just like in worms, Pressing Select can bring up the radar, the top screen can collide with the bottom screen, something like this:

Of course, the soldat and the cursor would have to be always posistioned on the lower screen, but at least you can see what's going on above you. Use the stylus and go to the edge of screen to change camera position, just like on the computer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:59:13 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 01:43:39 pm »
-

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 02:03:56 pm »
-

thats not very nice now is it? why don't you read my posts and argue your point instead of posting silly pictures like hackers do. (It's alll over AN)

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 03:00:37 pm
Wait, we haven't used the mic yet :D we can use the mic for something...but what?

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 02:13:34 pm »
Don't mind Shadow, he fails at everything, even at life...
Text goes here...

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 02:44:07 pm »

*mockup, not real image*

Wow I haven't been here in ages...
Hello everyone, I've been playing around with the idea of soldat for the nds in my head for the past couple of days. I'm just wondering what the official soldat community thought of it along with the people designing the PC version. I thought up a pretty manageable control scheme for the game which aiming the angle of the gun is just using the stylus to rotate the gun on the bottom screen. The d pad could be used the same as aswd on the computer and the player could double tap the top and bottom D-pad buttons for crouching and using the jet boots. I've got all kinds of ideas flying in my head and I was wondering of any of you could have other input on whether or not this would be a plausible project or not. I'm also wondering if the ds could handle all the rendering of the levels and the bullets/bullet shells/blood/explosions, along with using the nds wifi. The library I'm going to end up using if there is enough support for the project is the PAlib library, but I already posted a topic about this on the forum over there and there wasn't much interest. So yeah, just wanted to start a little brainstorm over here and see what people think and listen to any ideas you all could come up with.

controls ideas:
abxy or dpad: for movement depending on writing hand.
Gun on the bottom screen: to rotate the gun angle and shot range.
L OR R: for shooting.
Start: main menu

Bottom screen buttons:
NADE: switches from gun to grenade mode(changes L and R to throwing grenades)
WEP: switches to secondary weapon(holding WEP throws your weapon)
REL: reloads your weapon.
CHAT: brings up bottom screen keyboard with options for team chat and regular chat

Most of the ideas on this thread are the same as mine, djgman, I would like to help you make this thing, I am a game story writer and I come up with great ideas! I would like to work together with you on this, also I have a decent amount of money coming in so that we can make this a commercial game, not for money but because, honestly, i don't thik you'll get crap with a homebrew game, 1st of all, not many people at all have a flashcard (I have a Cyclo, and please don't EVER say R4 in a post, lol, that flashcard is out dated and full with clones, don't let a newbie take your word for it and they'll end up buying a R4 clone (R4 SDHC, N5, etc.)) considering how many people actually HAVE a DS and how many people have a flashcard, its not very much at all, just look at Worms Open Warfare, sometimes it takes me 5 minutes just to find someone on WiFi, even tho it has great multi-player....even though Soldat would prob be the best homebrew / multiplayer around and you'll get LOTS of popularity, I just don't know it will catch on, some people buy flashcards but dont even know about homebrew, so that limits you right there, bottom line? Soldat will do way better as a commercial game, if you don't want the money (I expect we should at least get the money we put into it) we can sell it for 10 - 20$ like N+ .... Really though, we can test it out on homebrew, than it will be alot easier to make it commercial once we get the money....

I do agree that lefties should be included, so all buttons should be on the D-Pad, touch screen, and bumpers. But the grenade will not work as a button - on screen as you need to aim with the nade too, throwing a knife will not work on screen either as you need to aim with IT too. I don't agree with double taping the up pad for boost, i dunno it just won't feel right to me, but it might be worth a try considering if you can change the controls easily...I think boost should be a bumper, but double taping down for prone would be awesome.

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 03:41:15 pm
I do like my screen scheme better tho, using the bottom screen to aim is just awful (one of the reasons why i didnt like Geometry wars so much) and using the bottom screen to shoot is way better and easier for newbies, the buttons on screen should be the same execpt nade (see above post) So let me make up another control scheme using both my ideas and his:

I've covered the screens so here is the control scheme:

Fire = R
Boost = L
Up = Jump / run
Down = crouch
Double tap down = prone
Left = go left
Right = go right
Throw flag = double tap up (this might cause annoyances tho...)
Throw nade = double tap L
Change wep = on screen
Reload wep =  on screen
chat = on screen (both chats should have 1 button but it should have a drop down window)
team chat = on screen (both chats should have 1 button but it should have a drop down window)
Wep menu = tap the reload on screen button while in respawn
Select = bring up / down radar
Start = Main Menu
Stylus = go to the edge of screen to change camera position, aim,  double click to throw wep

If there's a will there's a way :D

Remember the bottom and the top screen should have the action, the soldat and the cursor on bottom screen, radar on top screen by pressing select...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:55:34 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 02:46:25 pm »
→ Soldat will never be programmed for portable consoles/machines, or probably even regular gaming consoles (Michal doesn't have the money nor the time to do so, and even then gameplay probably would flop on such systems. Although if you want to use Soldat on Linux, feel free to help with the Soldat Wine project.)

Please read the rules, they are there for a reason. I know it sounds great, but it will just never happen. Sorry.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:44 pm »
Oh, look I am a stupid retard, so I come and defend an already failing idea, hurrdurrhurr. Are you kids that obsessed with it that you want to port it to the DS?

→ Soldat will never be programmed for portable consoles/machines, or probably even regular gaming consoles (Michal doesn't have the money nor the time to do so, and even then gameplay probably would flop on such systems. Although if you want to use Soldat on Linux, feel free to help with the Soldat Wine project.)

Please read the rules, they are there for a reason. I know it sounds great, but it will just never happen. Sorry.
Stupid Laser Guy, you want to read before backing something up?

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 03:00:46 pm »

Not true. Read this thread:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=29524

It will not be programmed by Michal it will be programmed by him, with MM's permission, and maybe ECs help. We have worked up a feasible control scheme to work on the DS. And I look forward to proving all of you wrong. And if it was against the rules EC would of locked / binned this already. MM already said in his blog that Link Dead / Beserker might be ported to one of the consoles mini-game services.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 03:03:02 pm »
I would like to know how the controls are going to be.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 03:26:11 pm »
:P have you read my post? I'll repeat it just for your convience:

I've covered the screens so here is the control scheme:

Fire = R
Boost = L
Up = Jump / run
Down = crouch
Double tap down = prone
Left = go left
Right = go right
Throw flag = double tap up (this might cause annoyances tho...)
Throw nade = double tap L
Change wep = on screen
Reload wep =  on screen
chat = on screen (both chats should have 1 button but it should have a drop down window)
team chat = on screen (both chats should have 1 button but it should have a drop down window)
Wep menu = tap the reload on screen button while in respawn
Select = bring up / down radar
Start = Main Menu
Stylus = go to the edge of screen to change camera position, aim,  double click to throw wep

If there's a will there's a way

Remember the bottom and the top screen should have the action, the soldat and the cursor on bottom screen, radar on top screen by pressing select...

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 04:10:09 pm
reversed for lefties of course

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 04:59:41 pm »
OK, good luck, and I'm being honest here. If you actually do this, I will definately buy the game. But I won't be upset in the least when you don't. Or at least not do it well. Also, expect little to no help.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 04:12:30 am »
Oh, look I am a stupid retard, so I come and defend an already failing idea, hurrdurrhurr. Are you kids that obsessed with it that you want to port it to the DS?

Won't be programmed by the creators themselves but if someone else wants to, he got EnEsCe's blessing (for good luck)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:01:43 am by Laser Guy »
Text goes here...

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 11:08:13 pm »

Won't be programmed by the creators themselves but if someone else wants to the got EnEsCe's blessing (for good luck)

:P well i cant program myself but i can get a friend, we'll release it on homebrew of course to see how well it will do.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 10:15:07 am »
You can't press the right button while using a stylis. This would be great, but it won't work. It's like Soldat coming out on Xbox arcade, it's just not going to happen.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 11:05:28 pm »
Dude, do you even have a DS? Try it, use stylus, and put your PINKY finger on the R bumper.

Many games use this way.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 12:59:38 pm »
Nice idea and nice concept. I have a DS and I can code stuff for it (homebrew etc).
I wonder if it would be possible to code such stuff.

Would be really awsome.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Retro349

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 05:08:41 pm »
Actually it wouldn't cost anything...

making homebrew is free!

And flashcarts start at $20 (USD)

Offline bloodzcape

• Major
  • insomNia gaming
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 06:40:27 pm »
stilll i reckon if they made soldat on ds it will work after all they made call of duty 4 on it.

Offline ashxu

• Major(1)
  • .::Sniper-Assasin::.
    • Nintown
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 09:38:46 pm »
Actually it wouldn't cost anything...

making homebrew is free!

And flashcart start at $20 (USD)

Yes, homebrew is free. Also as bloodzcape said, they made Call of Duty 4 for DS, and that used 3D models, and Soldat is going to use 2D models...see the difference? If they can fit Call of Duty 4 on the DS, i see no reason why Soldat coudn't be on the DS. Also, Soldat is only 40-50mb. While, ported onto the DS, may be only 40-60mb due to necessary space. The biggest game on the DS is Resident Evil, which utilizes 3D graphics and 3D movement, is a large 130 mb, while Soldat is only 2D.

Soldat programming doesn't support DS? Can't you build it for the DS ground up? Sure it'll take along time, but if it's successful. you can ditch your current job and make money from Soldat DS! Put my up a copy of Soldat DS :D
FOR THE GLORY OF THE IMPERIUM! CHARGE!!!!!!!

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 10:12:42 pm »
Tell you what.  Only way this would happen is if we see some results.  Seems like you have the basic idea, so come back when you have some progress made and get in contact with the good folks at Nintendo to work something out. (nvm, homebrew?).

'til then, this gets locked.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:17:23 pm by The Geologist »
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.