Author Topic: Soldat Ds?  (Read 9009 times)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Soldat Ds?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 11:53:38 pm »
C is a low level language.
Dephi is an interpreted language.

Dephi was built to give more ease to the programmer rather than the compiler.
Yes? That is true. Soldat would have taken a lot more code if it was written in C or C++? What is your point? This means that you'll have to make around triple the lines of code to make a Soldat clone in something like C or C++.

A pacman clone would take about 200-300 lines of C at the most to make.
Delphi was built on top of c/c++ and has to be interpreted through it. The nds typically doesn't use interprated languages like delphi or java because they take up too much processing power. 

So, you're saying what...?
I knew what you were saying, I was asking how that pertains to your portage of Soldat to the DS.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:58:18 pm by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 11:58:54 pm »
Why does the game need to use both screens?

You could just play and move + look around by dragging the stylus around the top screen. No need to make the game too complicated by using both screens. I also noticed, you didn't include anything for jets.

And jrgp, stop arguing, your nor really making any sense. Go back, and read what he said, maybe then you will understand what he was saying.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:00:39 am by chutem »
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 12:05:55 am »
Well on the nds, only the bottom screen is a touch screen.
I was considering using the bottom screen only but the stylus would make it a little too easy to hit people because you could just follow thier character with the stylus on the screen

I did mention the jet boots in my first post, I just forgot to list them in the list there.
The jet boots would be activated by tapping up on the D-pad twice. The same will be for lieing down in which you press down twice to lie down.

@jrgp

I honestly have no idea where you are going with this...
try using google or something if you have any questions about C vs. delphi or whatever.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:08:46 am by djgman »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 12:09:57 am »
@jrgp

I honestly have no idea where you are going with this...
try using google or something if you have any questions about C vs. delphi or whatever.
I'm not talking about the language..

Bound to fail like the 50 other people who've tried it; but you can try ofcourse. Good luck
I'm giving reasons for what EnEsCe said^ You seem to have completely ignored his post yet he is one of the main Soldat developers and knows this stuff better than a lot of people here.

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 12:18:31 am »
He is talking about people trying to make clones of soldat (I'm guessing people that use gamemaker or MMfusion or people posting things like "LOL GUYS LETS PORT SOLDAT TO XBOX DUDES!1!!"). In which this isn't a clone. While it is not a port either. It's just soldat. I also didn't completely ignore his post like you say, I gave a perfectly valid reason for what I'm doing after his post. So please stop nitpicking just for the sake of trying to prove me wrong.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 12:29:30 am »
Get going then. Maybe you could use these controls?

*pulls out ds*

D-Pad - equivalent of ASD on a normal keyboard.
A - Switch Weapons
L - Jets
X - Shoot

Stylus + lower screen: Go through menus and control the cursor.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 12:31:10 am »
Stupid idea, good luck.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 12:33:13 am »

Offline .Long-Range

• Camper
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 01:31:53 am »
i still don't understand how one would be able to shoot while aiming the stylus on touch screen while other hand is on d-pad. explain to me cuz i be confused
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 01:39:23 am »
The L or R buttons would fire in the weapon.

Offline .Long-Range

• Camper
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 02:11:29 am »
ohh so then your hand can still be on the d-pad and you'll have access to the left bumper i get it : D
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 02:19:20 am »
The control setup, including the idea of using the touchpad to change weapons, change to grenade, among other things, reminds me of a mixture between the AWDS' Battlescreen, where you control a single unit, moving around the map with either controls, and using the touchscreen to aim and fire....and the other is that the control setup for the touchscreen reminds me of New! Super Mario Bros., where you can select a item stored, or select a map, or quit a current level.

Sorry for the long paragraph sentence. :)

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 04:15:56 am »
If you work hard on it, it will work, but only if you work HARD. This will not be a cakewalk, not something you do in one or two weeks. This will likely take YEARS. Take it from someone with ambitions and ideas but little talent, be sure you know what you are getting into, and don't stop working.

Good luck and godspeed.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 11:39:29 am »
Well, I for one would be behind you all the way if you were to start it. The DS should be more than capable of playing a well-made Soldat clone (since its not a port, and its not the original, technically its still a clone, even if its not a crappy one made in GM or MMF ;)).

I had actually drawn up some stuff for a SoldatDS game. My controls were:
D-Pad: Moves (Prone: Double Tap Down, Jet: Double Tap Up)
Grenade: Double tap screen.
Throw Flag: Quick Down+Up
Aiming: Touchscreen
Shoot: L Trigger

And obviously you flip the buttons for lefties.

I think it'd be more fun if you coded with the liblobby for Ad-hoc multiplayer, instead of using ndswifi for online play, but that's just my opinion, don't know if the limitation still exists where you have to have one or the other. 8 player ad-hoc would rock!

In my sketch I had the gameplay on the bottom screen, so you see directly what you are aiming at, but I think I like your idea of the gun angle better. Also, in mine I used the top screen to show all the main info about health, jet, and ammo (of both weapons). I also thought it'd be cool to have a "pulse" pumping on the top of screen according to your player's health. It would get red and fast on low health, and a normal green when full.

The Soldat map specification is open, and it'd be cool if you could code something so we could just use the current maps instead of recreating them for the DS. However, scaling them down might be necessary.

If RAM ever becomes an issue, you could always add support for Slot-2 Ram. Would allow some big maps, and maybe more bots (if you plan on adding single player).

I think the first hurdles would be your skeletal/physics engine, then getting the map engine working. Seeing as how the Soldat graphics are so small, you could just use those resources before making your own sprites (if you need to at all). I sure hope you can pull it off!  ;D
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 01:11:33 pm »
Yeah I came up with the basically the same control sceme on my first post but I added the buttons on the touchscreen to make up for the lack of buttons usable on the ds. I'll probably end up using liblobby because the newest update to palib has it built in. I never thought of the slot-2 ram idea though, might be worth looking into.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 02:45:14 pm »
Most of the ideas on this thread are the same as mine, djgman, I would like to help you make this thing, I am a game story writer and I come up with great ideas! I would like to work together with you on this, also I have a decent amount of money coming in so that we can make this a commercial game, not for money but because, honestly, i don't thik you'll get crap with a homebrew game, 1st of all, not many people at all have a flashcard (I have a Cyclo, and please don't EVER say R4 in a post, lol, that flashcard is out dated and full with clones, don't let a newbie take your word for it and they'll end up buying a R4 clone (R4 SDHC, N5, etc.)) considering how many people actually HAVE a DS and how many people have a flashcard, its not very much at all, just look at Worms Open Warfare, sometimes it takes me 5 minutes just to find someone on WiFi, even tho it has great multi-player....even though Soldat would prob be the best homebrew / multiplayer around and you'll get LOTS of popularity, I just don't know it will catch on, some people buy flashcards but dont even know about homebrew, so that limits you right there, bottom line? Soldat will do way better as a commercial game, if you don't want the money (I expect we should at least get the money we put into it) we can sell it for 10 - 20$ like N+ .... Really though, we can test it out on homebrew, than it will be alot easier to make it commercial once we get the money....

I do agree that lefties should be included, so all buttons should be on the D-Pad, touch screen, and bumpers. But the grenade will not work as a button - on screen as you need to aim with the nade too, throwing a knife will not work on screen either as you need to aim with IT too. I don't agree with double taping the up pad for boost, i dunno it just won't feel right to me, but it might be worth a try considering if you can change the controls easily...I think boost should be a bumper, but double taping down for prone would be awesome.

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 03:39:11 pm
btw MM never reads the forums and i dont think his emails either, so you'll need to contact EC and get him to contact MM for you...
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:55 pm »
Well first of all if I'm going to program the game it will be open source, just because I like giving back to the homebrew community. Second is that you cannot license a game like that. Nintendo doesn't license any games made from anything other than the official sdk(which costs around 5000$) and even then you have to go through a producer. There won't be any money put into it anyways since homebrew doesn't cost anything to make. Thanks for the offer but soldat just isn't a game that needs much story. The only help I would accept from any members would be programming help from people experianced in c/c++ or any language close to it.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 02:54:56 pm »

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 02:58:21 pm »
*Michal doesn't have the money nor the time to do so.

That doesn't mean that other people don't have the time.
Ugh people read the thread before posting... the same stupid point has already been brought up like 3 times.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 02:59:37 pm »
It's not stupid, it's logical. Tell me when you make it, which I and others doubt will happen.

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag