Author Topic: Soldat Ds?  (Read 9046 times)

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
Re: Soldat Ds?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2008, 03:10:33 pm »
I do like my screen scheme better tho, using the bottom screen to aim is just awful (one of the reasons why i didnt like Geometry wars so much) and using the bottom screen to shoot is way better and easier for newbies, the buttons on screen should be the same execpt nade (see above post) So let me make up another control scheme using both my ideas and his:

I've covered the screens so here is the control scheme:

Fire = R
Boost = L
Up = Jump / run
Down = crouch
Double tap down = prone
Left = go left
Right = go right
Throw flag = double tap up (this might cause annoyances tho...)
Throw nade = double tap L
Change wep = on screen
Reload wep =  on screen
chat = on screen (both chats should have 1 button but it should have a drop down window)
team chat = on screen (both chats should have 1 button but it should have a drop down window)
Wep menu = tap the reload on screen button while in respawn
Select = bring up / down radar
Start = Main Menu
Stylus = go to the edge of screen to change camera position, aim,  double click to throw wep

If there's a will there's a way

Remember the bottom and the top screen should have the action, the soldat and the cursor on bottom screen, radar on top screen by pressing select...
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 03:11:59 pm »
@shadow

Well throughout this topic I have logically proven that logically making soldat for the ds isnt illogical. Logically I can't Logically understand why everyone illogically assumes that logically soldat is this uber complicated and logically impossible game to design. Also everyone Illogically assumes that MM is the only person who could ever make this game because apparently he is the only programmer in existence ever.

@miketh2005
I'm sorry but that control scheme just seems way too over complicated, it's also every user unfriendly considering that you constantly have to change your hand positions.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:14:20 pm by djgman »

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 03:18:51 pm »
Well first of all if I'm going to program the game it will be open source, just because I like giving back to the homebrew community. Second is that you cannot license a game like that. Nintendo doesn't license any games made from anything other than the official sdk(which costs around 5000$) and even then you have to go through a producer. There won't be any money put into it anyways since homebrew doesn't cost anything to make. Thanks for the offer but soldat just isn't a game that needs much story. The only help I would accept from any members would be programming help from people experianced in c/c++ or any language close to it.

5K? thats it? wow this looks good :D going through a publisher wont be much trouble? well lots of trouble but it can happen is what im saying.  I garuntee you that a homebrew Soldat will not have much, if any people on multiplayer, and it would prob only have 1 server, not enough to hold much interest, i would also like to know how you plan on doing the dedicated servers? will it have scripts and such, because if its just the normal game modes, thatd be stupid to tell the truth, anyway, Soldat could use a single player mode, please just let me write something up and see if you like it, plus i come up with good ideas too, (check my thread) please use me, what's there to lose? i dont cost any money

Date Posted: August 27, 2008, 04:16:49 pm
@shadow

Well throughout this topic I have logically proven that logically making soldat for the ds isnt illogical. Logically I can't Logically understand why everyone illogically assumes that logically soldat is this uber complicated and logically impossible game to design. Also everyone Illogically assumes that MM is the only person who could ever make this game because apparently he is the only programmer in existence ever.

@miketh2005
I'm sorry but that control scheme just seems way too over complicated, it's also every user unfriendly considering that you constantly have to change your hand positions.

rofl at first part.

it is not a complicated control scheme, and you do not have to keep changing hands, explain how you have to change hands and how its soooo complicated

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 03:26:16 pm »
An old saying among game developers is "Don't think too big". You're trying to move too fast from the beginning and it just doesn't work that way. Nintendo doesn't sell their SDK to any tom dick and harry either, they require you to submit an official request document, detailing your company and it's credentials. Also Publishers throw away over 90% of their submittions, because they are not going to sink a bunch of their money into something that won't make them money. I'm NOT going to make this game for profit. If I wanted to make a game for profit I would come up with my own idea. 

eerr... well one thing is that you cannot boost and aim at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:27:55 pm by djgman »

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 03:29:52 pm »
More likely than not, this would not be published. More likely it'd be homebrew.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2008, 03:58:05 pm »
It's not stupid, it's logical. Tell me when you make it, which I and others doubt will happen.

*frustrated sigh*

Goddammit, ShadowG, you're pissing me off. Read THIS topic before bringing up any stupid point that's been brought up, what three times? Don't. Even.

That link you suggested before was FOR the pc version, thus, the original Soldat platform, so if djgman wants to make a NDS game, he'd better as well, huh? What if it was really only homebrewed? Then you wouldn't know if he made it or not. Good riddance...christ...

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2008, 05:09:15 pm »
An old saying among game developers is "Don't think too big". You're trying to move too fast from the beginning and it just doesn't work that way. Nintendo doesn't sell their SDK to any tom dick and harry either, they require you to submit an official request document, detailing your company and it's credentials. Also Publishers throw away over 90% of their submittions, because they are not going to sink a bunch of their money into something that won't make them money. I'm NOT going to make this game for profit. If I wanted to make a game for profit I would come up with my own idea. 

eerr... well one thing is that you cannot boost and aim at the same time.

You can donate any extra money you get to MM or charity or whatever for goodness sake, true 95% of the time you won't get through but whose to say it's not worth trying? "the worst idea is one that hasn't been said" if you don't try, you don't get it. I'm not looking ahead too much, like I said you should make it homebrew first, if it works out and theres lots of people and no demand than you don't do it, if its a complete and utter failure and theres demand still, do it, if its a failure and theres no demand dont do it, if its a hit and there is  demand, do it. use homebrew as a testing grounds.

Why can't you aim and boost at the same time??

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 05:28:54 pm »
Miketh, do you OWN a DS? It's impossible to control both shoulder triggers AND use the touchscreen at the same time. The control schemes djgman has suggested is almost THE standard for games that use the touchscreen for aiming. Best example being Metroid Prime, as well as Call of Duty, Brother in Arms, even Phantom Hourglass have the player holding ONE side of the DS while using the stylus with the other. That means the player has a total of 5 buttons (4 main, with a shoulder) plus touchscreen at their disposal, for a game like this anyway.
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2008, 06:20:21 pm »
I do have a DS, and I CAN use both bumpers while holding the stylus by using my pinky finger to use the R button, as I have seen in another game. It sounds bad but you get used to it almost instantly...

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2008, 07:19:12 pm »
It's not stupid, it's logical. Tell me when you make it, which I and others doubt will happen.

*frustrated sigh*

Goddammit, ShadowG, you're pissing me off. Read THIS topic before bringing up any stupid point that's been brought up, what three times? Don't. Even.

That link you suggested before was FOR the pc version, thus, the original Soldat platform, so if djgman wants to make a NDS game, he'd better as well, huh? What if it was really only homebrewed? Then you wouldn't know if he made it or not. Good riddance...christ...
Oh god, it's like I care about people over the internet, oh!

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2008, 07:20:42 pm »
lol internet tough guys.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 08:32:12 pm »
I do have a DS, and I CAN use both bumpers while holding the stylus by using my pinky finger to use the R button, as I have seen in another game. It sounds bad but you get used to it almost instantly...

Well then I applaud you. Even with stylus-less game like Megaman, I find my hand cramping up to use all the buttons. I guess, like Soldat, controls can eventually be configurable, but I think you'd at least have to agree that, for default controls, the more normal thing to do is stick with the standard button hand and stylus hand combo.  ;D
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 09:12:31 pm »
Yeah just because you can magically play with your hands like that doesn't mean the majority of people can.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 12:26:15 am »
then why is this game even on market then?? anyway i guess you can use your crappy scheme and make it configurable like in Soldat...

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2008, 01:10:18 pm »
IT'S NOT ON THE MARKET. IT'S HOME BREW. ITS FREE. THE SOURCE IS AVAILABLE FOR ANYONE TO EDIT AND DISTRIBUTE ON THEIR OWN. I AM MAKING NO PROFIT OR PUTTING ANY MONEY INTO DEVELOPING IT OR ADVERTISING IT. I'M JUST MAKING IT FOR FUN. I'M MAKING IT BECAUSE I LOVE SOLDAT AND THIS WOULD GIVE ME MORE EXPERIENCE IN GAME DEVELOPMENT AND GIVE ME A BETTER PORTFOLIO AS A PROGRAMMER. I'M MAKING IT FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO ENJOY SOLDAT ON THE GO.

CAPITAL LETTERS FOR CLARIFICATION.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 03:55:52 pm »
ITS FREE. THE SOURCE IS AVAILABLE FOR ANYONE TO EDIT AND DISTRIBUTE ON THEIR OWN.
You'd probably want to license it under the GPL then, wiki that.

Oh, and btw. YELLING isn't allowed. I'd quit that if you want to stay on this lovely blue site.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 04:00:36 pm »
Easier said than done, jrgp...just about quite a few people who's replied to this thread is against his ambitions.

Offline djgman

• Major(1)
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2008, 04:33:59 pm »
Well first of all capital letters don't always institute yelling on the internet. Typically you can't "yell" in text because it's a non-vocal form of communication.  I was typing in caps for the simple reason of clarification because some people seem to not be able to comprehend things they read without them being drilled into their head.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 06:54:45 pm »
IT'S NOT ON THE MARKET. IT'S HOME BREW. ITS FREE. THE SOURCE IS AVAILABLE FOR ANYONE TO EDIT AND DISTRIBUTE ON THEIR OWN. I AM MAKING NO PROFIT OR PUTTING ANY MONEY INTO DEVELOPING IT OR ADVERTISING IT. I'M JUST MAKING IT FOR FUN. I'M MAKING IT BECAUSE I LOVE SOLDAT AND THIS WOULD GIVE ME MORE EXPERIENCE IN GAME DEVELOPMENT AND GIVE ME A BETTER PORTFOLIO AS A PROGRAMMER. I'M MAKING IT FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO ENJOY SOLDAT ON THE GO.

CAPITAL LETTERS FOR CLARIFICATION.
You're a liar, if you spend that much time on a homebrew, you would like money for it; greedy bastard.

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 07:06:14 pm »
Well first of all capital letters don't always institute yelling on the internet. Typically you can't "yell" in text because it's a non-vocal form of communication.  I was typing in caps for the simple reason of clarification because some people seem to not be able to comprehend things they read without them being drilled into their head.
The exact rule is "No YELLING". Read the rules before you post. That is what bold and italics is for.
Anyway like I said in the other thread, good luck, because I honesly would probably buy it if you actually made it well, but I won't be crushed when you don't.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace