Author Topic: Firefox 2.0.0.14  (Read 1096 times)

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Firefox 2.0.0.14
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:22:44 pm »
My school gives us laptops every year. Macbooks. I do not have permissions to add new applications to them.

The problem is: they imaged them just before Firefox 3 came out, so we are stuck with a very old Firefox 2.0.0.14. The more in-depth problem:  Almost no PHP stuff works. I have to use safari to post this (on the laptop) because if I try to log in to any forums it gives me a different error for each forum (on these forums it tells me to give it a username). Strangely, I can log into facebook, but I cannot post anything or write anything anywhere or I get an Invalid URL error...

Any halpz?
hehe I said halpz

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Firefox 2.0.0.14
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:25:16 pm »
Do everything you can to wipe that piece of crap then install debian or ubuntu.

edit: oh, they aren't your's to keep forever? Maybe you can just download a firefox mac binary and run it as is? ./firefox ? I think macs sorta work the same way normal unixes do.
There are other worlds than these

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:29:54 pm »
No terminal access. They have done just about everything in their power to make it impossible to do ANYTHING.
While I'm mad, I'd like to rant about the idiotic things that they have done. OS X comes with Java 1.5, an Apache webserver with PHP and MySQL installed, Ruby, etc. All pre-installed and ready. All you have to do is enable them. OSNAP evidently the schools have decided to slaughter young programmer's dreams of learning PHP, and disabled them, making the conf file password protected (I actually thought that this laptop would be good for something)...

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:32:19 pm »
But do you really need mac to be installed? Can't you dual boot between Linux and mac and only use the mac part when you need to show people homework and stuff?

another edit: Can't you ask some IT person at your school to take away at least some of the pooty restrictions?

As for your facebook problem, the browser must have absolutely shitty AJAX support, which Facebook almost exclusively uses for a UI.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:35:22 pm by jrgp »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:40:49 pm »
But do you really need mac to be installed? Can't you dual boot between Linux and mac and only use the mac part when you need to show people homework and stuff?
... The computers are the property of the school district, I could get in major trouble for doing anything not pre-allowed on them (installing any programs or operating systems not approved by the school district is not allowed). I'm not trying to do this. Instead I just want to get firefox working fine. Safari is worse than IE in mine eye.
another edit: Can't you ask some IT person at your school to take away at least some of the pooty restrictions?
Probably will happen. I took a class from the tech people last year (they even gave me an admin acct on the computer :)) and it was lots of fun (macs can actually do a lot of nifty stuff when you have permission to do it).
As for your facebook problem, the browser must have absolutely pooty AJAX support, which Facebook almost exclusively uses for a UI.
Probably that too. It seems to happen wherever there is any PHP stuff or anything happening on a website.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44:50 pm »
Probably will happen. I took a class from the tech people last year (they even gave me an admin acct on the computer :)) and it was lots of fun (macs can actually do a lot of nifty stuff when you have permission to do it).

Like what? Glow in the dark?

As for php stuff not working, it's most likely because the browser tries to treat the .php file extension differently than others.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:49:23 pm by jrgp »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:35 pm »
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21732
Lets see THAT on your fancy ooboontoo thing. (lulz)

What I need is some knowledge of if it's possible to fix this issue without installing anything?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 11:00:09 pm »
Can you change firefox' settings? Tools > Options > Applications > Remove anything with php in it.

umm...if all that does is throw faggety lights and sounds around, any operating system can do it.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:06:10 pm »
Bullcrap, my school is too cheap to afford computers for us all. Feck you iDante :(

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:43:44 pm »
Can you change firefox' settings? Tools > Options > Applications > Remove anything with php in it.

umm...if all that does is throw lovergety lights and sounds around, any operating system can do it.
The point is that macbooks have accelerometers in them, making it so that applications can take advantage of that and detect/interpret the orientation of the computer.

But that's pretty much the only advantage.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 11:47:16 pm »
umm...if all that does is throw lovergety lights and sounds around, any operating system can do it.
lol. You swing the laptop around and it makes light saber noises. How awesome is that.
Bullcrap, my school is too cheap to afford computers for us all. Feck you iDante :(
lol. This put the schools in crazy debt... probably a bad idea.

The point is that macbooks have accelerometers in them, making it so that applications can take advantage of that and detect/interpret the orientation of the computer.

But that's pretty much the only advantage.

What he said ^^