Author Topic: The Pinning System  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
The Pinning System
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:11:13 am »
When you have a Barrett or Ruger, the bots simply just crouch and shoot, or worse, if they have a chainsaw or knife, just sit there, making easy, yet boring game play. I think it's cool to have pinning, but they should make it that when you're aiming at them, they crouch and slowly move towards you, but when you're reloading or waiting a shot interval, they should get up and charge! Also, as soon as they come into sight of a sniper, they should commando roll before going to ground, making them very hard to hit!

Thoughts?

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
Re: The Pinning System
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:23:29 am »
1) Rolling doesn't make it hard to hit
2) What if there's 2 snipers on either side of the bot and one is reloading and one is "aiming"?

And, would their view of you "aiming" be having you with a sniper in their side with a bullet loaded in?
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:12:52 am »
I agree with the charging thing, but yea they should also be smart enough to consider any other players/campers or it'll just add more uselesness to the AI :(

Player since late 2007

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:57:02 am »
Bots react to the nearest opponent if there are multiple targets in vision's range at once. This is usually most seen in deathmatches, so I don't see why the bot shouldn't charge when the nearest sniper of the two is reloading.

Bot intelligence is below-average, even for a 2-d game. Another thing I'd like to point out that we have that the bots don't have is creativity and improvisation. :(

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:24:24 pm »
The best thing would be to have the ability to script the bots AI.

Over time the bots would become really realistic and good, as the community makes scripts.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:47:56 am »
The best thing would be to have the ability to script the bots AI.

Over time the bots would become really realistic and good, as the community makes scripts.
I completely agree, but i think it's impossible?

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:07:21 am »
A lot of discussions already went on about this pinning thing, and I totally agree it needs correction.

And modding the bots' AI? I'm totally in for that.
This would not only enhance the original Soldat, but also other game modes. Such as AI files dedicated for tactics on trenchwars, or tailor made zombie bots, CS modes, etc.

Though like Niko said, is that possible?