Author Topic: Weapon dropping feature.  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Madchal

• Camper
Weapon dropping feature.
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:31:42 pm »
Just some idea I had. How about dropping the weapons could be done just like throwing a knife(not as far though, depending on the weight of the weapon) and actually deal damage? Not too much but just some. Imagine, you're in a battle, you have just wasted all your bullets and the enemy is STILL alive, even though with low health. so you start to reload but notice there won't be time to finish reloading before him finishing you off... so what do you do? That's right, you throw the weapon at him to make him lose that last ounce of health and kill him!

Dunno if it can be made but I think that would be a pretty cool feature.. think about it :)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: Weapon dropping feature.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:22:36 am »
Hmm.. would be endlesly cool if mastered, that's for sure. But I don't think it should be determined by weight. I realise it's more realistic that way, seeing as the minigun wouldn't fly as far as the HKmp5, but I think it would be way too complicated. I'm all for the weapons not flying as far as the knife.

And what of the secondaries? Would they be equal to the primaries? The chainsaw could be interresting here..
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Madchal

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:25:11 am »
I don't think it would be too complicated if you could put it in to weapon.ini. just like you can edit speed on throwing the knife, maybe you could edit throwing speed on the rest of the weapons as well?

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:26:14 am »
Don't touch ma weapons.ini, bitches.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:38:46 am »
I don't think it would be too complicated if you could put it in to weapon.ini. just like you can edit speed on throwing the knife, maybe you could edit throwing speed on the rest of the weapons as well?

That's one thing, but I'm talking about learning to use it as well. Player skill. It'd be mutch easier if it was just all the same.. I mean, imagine having 13 different speeds on the knife?

Offline Flamingo

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 10:43:54 am »

That's one thing, but I'm talking about learning to use it as well. Player skill. It'd be mutch easier if it was just all the same.. I mean, imagine having 13 different speeds on the knife?
You'd be amazed how fast good knife only players can adapt.
Banned

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:00:08 am »
I know, I've experienced it first hand(you bastards). But that's just one weapon, now we're talking 15 in addition.

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:26:19 am »
This would be an excellent feature. It would certainly add a whole new layer of chaos, and it would give me an excuse to be the weapon-scavenging maniac I already am.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 12:34:11 am »
Game Improvements / Suggestions is that way <---------

This is the private beta forum, for beta testing. Not suggestions. The public is entitled to comment on your ideas, so moving it to the right forum.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 12:49:40 am »
For the sake of argument, F11 to the idea

It might be cool for MP5s and stuff, but if you do it to all the 'guns', it is only fair that it gets done to the Chainsaw aswell, and that would pretty much spoil the saw as it is.  of course you can just apply throwing damage to all weapons except for the saw, but then it would be just weird that you can only use other weapons to do this, as it gives some weight to the feel of the weapons, so even if you did this, the game would be slightly retarded -.-

Player since late 2007

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:02:52 am »
whats all the hubbub with the saw, its not like its 'firing' when you throw it ¬_¬
It just becomes a chunk of metal careering through the air. You get damage based on being hit by a chunk of metal, not whether it has a sharp chain wrapped around it or not.

If you think the chainsaw would be firing in midair, why dont you also assume the mp5 would be firing away aswell? Think.

Different weapons amount to different chunks of metal, so it would be frustrating if they were all so different.  They should all behave the same in terms of physics and damage, except for the knife (obviously)

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 01:25:29 am »
Now it sounds like Madness Interactive. 

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 01:47:52 am »
whats all the hubbub with the saw, its not like its 'firing' when you throw it ¬_¬
It just becomes a chunk of metal careering through the air. You get damage based on being hit by a chunk of metal, not whether it has a sharp chain wrapped around it or not.

If you think the chainsaw would be firing in midair, why dont you also assume the mp5 would be firing away aswell? Think.

Different weapons amount to different chunks of metal, so it would be frustrating if they were all so different.  They should all behave the same in terms of physics and damage, except for the knife (obviously)

But it would still give the saw a 'range' or at least a possibility to do damage without making contact with the enemy, and that would probably take away from the uniqueness :P

Player since late 2007

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 03:00:37 am »
I don't know about the throw and damage thing, doesn't sound good to me. But throwing weapons might help you to give weapons to other players more easily, though that rarely happens.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 04:36:55 am »
The dealing damage thing was suggested once or twice before, and I seem to remember it being shot down pretty hard. It would be pretty cool if you could throw your weapon to another player though.

Offline BlisterEye

• Major(1)
  • Better than you.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 04:55:48 am »
It would be fucking epic. If someone can bother to do it, it would be greatly appreciated by lots of players.
Kalashnikov + Knife.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 05:18:54 am »
Eee...

No. F11. Throw a weapon like a knife? No no no. Only for modding please. Though I'd like it if throwing a weapon at someone would give him the weapon the moment the weapon touches him (provided he has no weapons).

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 01:17:40 pm »
Lol.
I can't begin to tell you how many times I've tried to kill somebody by throwing a LAW(while reloading) or throwing chainsaw at them.

I like the idea.
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 02:38:18 pm »
At least the heavier weapons which are fairly useless after fired (Law, Minigun, Barrett...) should have this feature. At the very least, I mean. This has been suggested before, and I agreed with it.
f12.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 08:48:06 pm »
But it would still give the saw a 'range' or at least a possibility to do damage without making contact with the enemy, and that would probably take away from the uniqueness

Soldat is all about things doing damage when they miss and doing nothing when they hit. Nothing gained nothing lost.
The saw wouldnt give exceptional range compared to say the minigun. Besides, a collision in a game isnt always done using the entire shape. I doubt it will be an issue with the saw, but if it is its easily rectified.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*