Author Topic: Weapon dropping feature.  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Madchal

• Camper
Weapon dropping feature.
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:31:42 pm »
Just some idea I had. How about dropping the weapons could be done just like throwing a knife(not as far though, depending on the weight of the weapon) and actually deal damage? Not too much but just some. Imagine, you're in a battle, you have just wasted all your bullets and the enemy is STILL alive, even though with low health. so you start to reload but notice there won't be time to finish reloading before him finishing you off... so what do you do? That's right, you throw the weapon at him to make him lose that last ounce of health and kill him!

Dunno if it can be made but I think that would be a pretty cool feature.. think about it :)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: Weapon dropping feature.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:22:36 am »
Hmm.. would be endlesly cool if mastered, that's for sure. But I don't think it should be determined by weight. I realise it's more realistic that way, seeing as the minigun wouldn't fly as far as the HKmp5, but I think it would be way too complicated. I'm all for the weapons not flying as far as the knife.

And what of the secondaries? Would they be equal to the primaries? The chainsaw could be interresting here..
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Madchal

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:25:11 am »
I don't think it would be too complicated if you could put it in to weapon.ini. just like you can edit speed on throwing the knife, maybe you could edit throwing speed on the rest of the weapons as well?

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:26:14 am »
Don't touch ma weapons.ini, bitches.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:38:46 am »
I don't think it would be too complicated if you could put it in to weapon.ini. just like you can edit speed on throwing the knife, maybe you could edit throwing speed on the rest of the weapons as well?

That's one thing, but I'm talking about learning to use it as well. Player skill. It'd be mutch easier if it was just all the same.. I mean, imagine having 13 different speeds on the knife?

Offline Flamingo

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 10:43:54 am »

That's one thing, but I'm talking about learning to use it as well. Player skill. It'd be mutch easier if it was just all the same.. I mean, imagine having 13 different speeds on the knife?
You'd be amazed how fast good knife only players can adapt.
Banned

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:00:08 am »
I know, I've experienced it first hand(you bastards). But that's just one weapon, now we're talking 15 in addition.

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:26:19 am »
This would be an excellent feature. It would certainly add a whole new layer of chaos, and it would give me an excuse to be the weapon-scavenging maniac I already am.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 12:34:11 am »
Game Improvements / Suggestions is that way <---------

This is the private beta forum, for beta testing. Not suggestions. The public is entitled to comment on your ideas, so moving it to the right forum.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 12:49:40 am »
For the sake of argument, F11 to the idea

It might be cool for MP5s and stuff, but if you do it to all the 'guns', it is only fair that it gets done to the Chainsaw aswell, and that would pretty much spoil the saw as it is.  of course you can just apply throwing damage to all weapons except for the saw, but then it would be just weird that you can only use other weapons to do this, as it gives some weight to the feel of the weapons, so even if you did this, the game would be slightly retarded -.-

Player since late 2007

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:02:52 am »
whats all the hubbub with the saw, its not like its 'firing' when you throw it ¬_¬
It just becomes a chunk of metal careering through the air. You get damage based on being hit by a chunk of metal, not whether it has a sharp chain wrapped around it or not.

If you think the chainsaw would be firing in midair, why dont you also assume the mp5 would be firing away aswell? Think.

Different weapons amount to different chunks of metal, so it would be frustrating if they were all so different.  They should all behave the same in terms of physics and damage, except for the knife (obviously)

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 01:25:29 am »
Now it sounds like Madness Interactive. 

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 01:47:52 am »
whats all the hubbub with the saw, its not like its 'firing' when you throw it ¬_¬
It just becomes a chunk of metal careering through the air. You get damage based on being hit by a chunk of metal, not whether it has a sharp chain wrapped around it or not.

If you think the chainsaw would be firing in midair, why dont you also assume the mp5 would be firing away aswell? Think.

Different weapons amount to different chunks of metal, so it would be frustrating if they were all so different.  They should all behave the same in terms of physics and damage, except for the knife (obviously)

But it would still give the saw a 'range' or at least a possibility to do damage without making contact with the enemy, and that would probably take away from the uniqueness :P

Player since late 2007

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 03:00:37 am »
I don't know about the throw and damage thing, doesn't sound good to me. But throwing weapons might help you to give weapons to other players more easily, though that rarely happens.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 04:36:55 am »
The dealing damage thing was suggested once or twice before, and I seem to remember it being shot down pretty hard. It would be pretty cool if you could throw your weapon to another player though.

Offline BlisterEye

• Major(1)
  • Better than you.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 04:55:48 am »
It would be fucking epic. If someone can bother to do it, it would be greatly appreciated by lots of players.
Kalashnikov + Knife.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 05:18:54 am »
Eee...

No. F11. Throw a weapon like a knife? No no no. Only for modding please. Though I'd like it if throwing a weapon at someone would give him the weapon the moment the weapon touches him (provided he has no weapons).

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 01:17:40 pm »
Lol.
I can't begin to tell you how many times I've tried to kill somebody by throwing a LAW(while reloading) or throwing chainsaw at them.

I like the idea.
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 02:38:18 pm »
At least the heavier weapons which are fairly useless after fired (Law, Minigun, Barrett...) should have this feature. At the very least, I mean. This has been suggested before, and I agreed with it.
f12.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 08:48:06 pm »
But it would still give the saw a 'range' or at least a possibility to do damage without making contact with the enemy, and that would probably take away from the uniqueness

Soldat is all about things doing damage when they miss and doing nothing when they hit. Nothing gained nothing lost.
The saw wouldnt give exceptional range compared to say the minigun. Besides, a collision in a game isnt always done using the entire shape. I doubt it will be an issue with the saw, but if it is its easily rectified.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 11:49:04 pm »
The idea you made is nice, but isn't there a secondary weapon you can always finish off with? :D
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:58 am »
Yep, there are secondaries. So I really suggest that the drop weapon feature only throws the weapon at a direction but does no damage.

Offline Flamingo

• Camper
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 10:48:00 am »
cool how everyone baws about how overpowered it would be when it can be nerfed just like we did with every aspect of soldat
Banned

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 11:18:37 am »
cool how everyone baws about how overpowered it would be when it can be nerfed just like we did with every aspect of soldat
Also funny how a racist twit like yourself has 300 posts of spam and trolling and you're still on the forums.
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 03:06:18 pm »
I'm not sure whether damage should depend on weapon or not, but still F12 in general. Can you make a poll?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 04:02:17 pm »
 ;) Go to soldat folder and make the knife look like a chainsaw, then see if you like it.   I did, maybe it shouldn't be able to hurt people, because it would be too much used. Maybe it would be cool to just have the opertunity to throw it further.. but if it shouldn't hurt people, then I'm not sure if we should bother do anything.  F11,5

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 04:05:35 pm »
Also funny how a racist twit like yourself has 300 posts of spam and trolling and you're still on the forums.

Meh, the forum mods know a joke when they see one. >_>

The weapon dropping feature not only has been suggested here before, but several times in a few servers I've been in over the course of seven months. And quite frankly, I agree with the idea. It doesn't change much to the gameplay, and the chances of killing a person at full health with a thrown gun is nil. I don't see why you guys are so scared of the change unless you happen to play on a ctf server with hurt-only polygon maps.

Offline BlisterEye

• Major(1)
  • Better than you.
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 07:12:25 pm »
;) Go to soldat folder and make the knife look like a chainsaw, then see if you like it.   I did, maybe it shouldn't be able to hurt people, because it would be too much used. Maybe it would be cool to just have the opertunity to throw it further.. but if it shouldn't hurt people, then I'm not sure if we should bother do anything.  F11,5
Weapon throw shouldn't be THAT powerful. I mean you shouldn't be able to throw it that far. I was thinking more that you're above someone, jetting away and you just let gravity pick up momentum on the empty Barret you throw at their head, you hit them and they die. They shouldn't be able to one-shot-kill, but rather damage a little from close distance and kill only when hit from above.
Kalashnikov + Knife.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 02:59:17 pm »
Weapon throw shouldn't be THAT powerful. I mean you shouldn't be able to throw it that far. I was thinking more that you're above someone, jetting away and you just let gravity pick up momentum on the empty Barret you throw at their head, you hit them and they die. They shouldn't be able to one-shot-kill, but rather damage a little from close distance and kill only when hit from above.
Maybe the same demage as a fist-hit or something, or just being able to throw a bit further. (so you can give weapons to your teammates in a cooler way.
Actually that would do.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:00:50 pm by homerofgods »

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 03:16:34 pm »
If you even wanted something remotely close to having this idea be considered, it would be removing auto reload. So instead of shooting someone when you are out of ammo, it can be used kinda like a bat. Then press reload to...reload. And even that idea is not that great.

Your idea is a no for me.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline FabioShmit

• Major(1)
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 08:27:52 pm »
Being able to throw the guns farther w/ out damage is a definite plus for me. The way I see it, if you wanna throw something, you have the knife, right?

Being able to throw the guns farther w/ out damage, f12

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 08:53:06 pm »
Being able to throw the guns farther w/ out damage is a definite plus for me. The way I see it, if you wanna throw something, you have the knife, right?

Being able to throw the guns farther w/ out damage, f12
What the hell is that gonna do? Pass to the other player your weapon? What about you then, are you going to fight off with your puny socom/knife/saw/LAW?
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline bloodzcape

• Major
  • insomNia gaming
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 09:09:31 pm »
that idea will just kill the game tbh

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 07:04:53 am »
It's an interesting idea I'd like for modding though.

But that would kinda make the knife useless if its used in the actual Soldat. Then if you made the damage low, you might as well just reload your gun or throw a nade or use a secondary.

And this would kinda make some guns more powerful than they need to be. Imagine an injured auto user charges at a Barret-user. The Barrett guy misses. The auto-user sprays him down. The Barrett guy just throws the Barrett at the auto-user and kills him.

Offline FabioShmit

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 08:42:34 pm »
I meant it more of like this,

But that would kinda make the knife useless if its used in the actual Soldat. Then if you made the damage low, you might as well just reload your gun or throw a nade or use a secondary.

If you can throw every weapon, it takes away the usefulness/uniqueness of the knife. Anyway, I feel its more of a cosmetic change.

Like this far?

o    _
       T  '     '_
       ^         ^.

Offline Tek+Lok

• Major
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 11:55:42 pm »
I would honestly love to be able to throw your guns just like the knife, and deal some damage, it would be so useful in battle.

You could finish off an enemy if you run out of ammo too soon.
You would be able to throw your weapons farther away so you don't accidentally pick them up again.
You could throw your weapons to a team mate who is unarmed.
There would be a huge new level of gameplay added, when you are seeing people throw guns all over and picking them up.

Basically some guns will be heavier than others, so their range and damage would vary. For example the saw would do significantly more than a socom, but the socom would could be thrown farther!

F12

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 02:41:42 am »
I think it should deal only a little damage (not more than one socom shot). And the range should also be small, let's say something like knife thrown at LOWEST speed possible (when you hit throwing knife button and not hold it at all).

Then if you made the damage low, you might as well just reload your gun

reloading takes a long time.

...or throw a nade

What if you don't have nades? And what if your enemy is so close that a nade would kill you too?

...or use a secondary.

Changing weapon to secondary also takes some time. Throwing weapon would be faster, if the enemy is very close (something about 2-4 gosteks heights).

Imagine an injured auto user charges at a Barret-user. The Barrett guy misses. The auto-user sprays him down. The Barrett guy just throws the Barrett at the auto-user and kills him.

All right, but now imagine that auto-user with full hp charges barrett-user with full-hp. The auto-user sprays Barrett-user, but does not kill him. The Barrett-user misses. Now both of them throw their weapons at each other. Who wins? Auto-user, because he injured Barrett-user before (and since Barrett-user missed before throwng weapon, auto-user is only a little scratched). Its not straightforward.

Offline Tek+Lok

• Major
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 04:08:34 am »
Perhaps if we also try implementing some force with it as well? Like if you threw your gun at someone it causes them to get knocked back to a certain severity, like the way shotgun hits push you back.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 04:10:39 am »
I don't like it, it would just be annoying...

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 09:52:28 am »
Reload time depends on the gun you're using. If you're using a Flamer, Socom, MP5, DEs, Spas-12 (or even Steyr Aug)... I really don't see a reason why you should throw your gun. Those guns reload really fast or fast enough. And chainsaw? You shouldn't even be "reloading" the chainsaw unless you know you aren't gonna be in combat.

If the throwing distance is so short and the damage is so low, I really don't see why you should even throw the weapon in the first place. Your chances of missing is high, your chances of killing is very low (unless the guy is in the state where he is bleeding HEAVILY).

If you don't have nades, then it isn't an excuse. Grenades are incredibly important, if you run out of them, spam them and don't get supplied then its your fault for putting yourself in such a disadvantage. The only time it can be an excuse is when the server doesn't even have grenades allowed or survival where you can't refill HP and grenades. If you're that close, just run to him and punch the hell out of him (or at least punch off his gun), or run off, or just switch to your secondary, or just throw it and sacrifice yourself.

It is understandable that switching weapons takes a while, 40-60 ticks or so + the fireinterval remaining before you can shoot that weapon (applies whether the switched weapon is primary or secondary), but no one ever stays still. Or you might as well do the above options stated if you're really that desperate.

I'm not against modifying the throw weapon function, it's a nice and cool idea, but I don't see how it is good for the gameplay.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:54:42 am by STM1993 »

Offline Eury

• Major(1)
  • G!C.Eury.NZ - Eury.Nomos@hotmail.com
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 08:58:02 pm »
Woah, just had a real cool thought...

So your in your vent, in your skrim. You and you mate are both using AKs, say. Your mates fighting, your running to him from spawn, he screams over vent that hes out of ammo. You hold F to throw your AK up to him, he catches it and kills enemy.

Of course, you might as well just jump up and kill them yourself, maybe.

Cool idea though, you got my vote.

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 01:55:49 pm »
I just love this idea, the guns should do little damage when thrown, like 1 socom or something, but still It would be awesome

f12

can you add a poll?