Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 270489 times)

DarkCrusade

Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1220 on: May 17, 2010, 11:59:11 am »
Because people are 'tards

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1221 on: May 17, 2010, 12:52:26 pm »

But I'm looking for the real reason, cause this one's too obvious to be true.
What, their parents raped them plenty? Nobody loves them enough? They need the attention? :/
IDGI.
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #1222 on: May 17, 2010, 01:21:20 pm »
As simple as it sounds, but that's the main reason for people to do that. This and being a virgin for 40 years already.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #1223 on: May 17, 2010, 01:21:39 pm »
It's just a different perspective. Humans are silly creatures that live and die for a purpose and for those who accept that nothing we do really matters, VEHM is a noble way out.

They're pretty much carebears taken to the extreme. Vegetarians who also believe killing plants is bad as well.

They're not necessarily emo or mentally traumatized; in fact they're probably the most rational of people.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1224 on: May 17, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »

But I'm looking for the real reason, cause this one's too obvious to be true.
What, their parents raped them plenty? Nobody loves them enough? They need the attention? :/
IDGI.

You learn about a group that you don't understand, and your first reaction is to assume that there's something wrong with them. How naive.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1225 on: May 17, 2010, 03:35:34 pm »
Well, it's the most common human reaction to something unknown.
And I ain't an alien, so.
But one thing I am not, is naive, get your facts straight.
If life was without purpose is all the shit we go through just a really bad joke?
You can't simply generate anything out of nothing.
We exist for a purpose, like it or not.
b&

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #1226 on: May 17, 2010, 06:29:32 pm »
Well, a couple of friends and I were having a chat about the possibility that maybe we, as a species, just don't deserve to continue living. I thought it was an interesting topic, and I see it's logic. I'm not saying I'm a follower, but I can't help but question our motivation to exist.

And I ain't an alien, so.
But one thing I am not, is naive, get your facts straight.
If life was without purpose is all the s**t we go through just a really bad joke?
You can't simply generate anything out of nothing.
We exist for a purpose, like it or not.

I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #1227 on: May 17, 2010, 10:00:16 pm »
None of you know anything about life, death or the purpose of mortals. That includes me and, for now, it should stay that way. What you do have gained are experiences, but to sincerely believe that those experiences are solid factual knowledge is just absurd. We all have made different choices in our lifetime, consequently, we experienced what we had coming to us from those choices which we ourselves (or not) have made and to state that you know what the purpose of humans and our life is is by all means just not appropriate. If you use the words statistically, normally, generally, probably or perhaps, your statement's credibility is approximately zero.

The two ultimate choices are whether one wants to find answers to all important unanswered and unasked questions or just live desiring and finding out nothing. Finding out answers to a few questions is insignificant and will bend you towards nothingness (experienced lack of motivation and initiative?) unless you have already set your mind on doing everything it takes to find out everything there is to know. The latter takes most of your time and life. You begin to see a clear distinction between the marginal and relevant, but the price of it is your humanity.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:17:43 pm by Horve »

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1228 on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:06 pm »
Well, a couple of friends and I were having a chat about the possibility that maybe we, as a species, just don't deserve to continue living.

As far as the universe is concerned, nothing deserves to live. There is no cosmic agent determining worthiness or entitlement.

I'm trying to educate, not insult. I realize that what I wrote was worded so that it appears insulting, but I won't do that again.

The point I'm trying to make is that prejudice will get you nowhere. You know nothing of this group or its people and yet, before you give yourself a chance to think critically about their motives, you immediately rule out any chance that they are behaving rationally by assuming that they're psychologically damaged. That is naive and is an example of blindly preserving the status quo; confusing what is "normal" with what is rational or right.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1229 on: May 18, 2010, 08:35:44 am »
No, there is no ration in it, if they believe that we're not worth the lives we are given, who keeps the organization/ideology going?
They are seeking self-termination.
Anything that involves killing yourself over nothing is irrational, to anyone to ever step foor on God's green earth.
b&

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #1230 on: May 18, 2010, 08:40:18 am »
Well, not everyone in the world believes in God. For example, some people see you believers as delusional and they think you should probably go extinct as well. VHEM is sort of like, "Derp we're gonna take the moral highground by showing you how it's done."

I have a feeling that this is kind of getting away from a 'simple question' now though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:44:05 am by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1231 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46:31 am »
Got a point there.
New question: Why is it that people with a straight sexual orientation "like" the idea of bisexuality in the other gender?
(Guys like lesbos, gals like gays)
b&

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #1232 on: May 18, 2010, 08:52:18 am »
I think they [straight person in question] indirectly get more of the opposite sex through bisexual chain. It's sort of like modern day mini-harem?
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1233 on: May 18, 2010, 03:30:48 pm »
No, there is no ration in it, if they believe that we're not worth the lives we are given, who keeps the organization/ideology going?
They are seeking self-termination.
Anything that involves killing yourself over nothing is irrational, to anyone to ever step foor on God's green earth.

Corrections to your misconceptions:

They are not killing themselves or anyone else; they're choosing not to procreate. That's a wide difference. They believe that we are worth the lives we have and that we should do nothing that might hasten our death. They also have a purpose: to eliminate harm done to the biosphere by humanity and to provide better lives for today's children.

As for the problem of having an organization limited by a lack of children, that is not irrational. It is a hindrance to growth, but ideological movements do not depend upon a continual source of offspring. And, furthermore, it is not irrational to have an organization that does not last past its founding members. Yet again, you assume that the status quo is the correct way of doing things and that everything else is wrong. In this case, you assume that it is right for an organization's members to procreate plentifully so that they may spread their ideology into the minds of their offspring and that it is irrational to do otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:34:43 pm by VijchtiDoodah »

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #1234 on: June 04, 2010, 10:10:28 pm »
Okay, question.  Here we have a typical organ:

You'll note that it has four rows of keys, each with five octaves.  My question is, WHY? Does that mean it can play 20 different octaves of music? And if so, don't the ends of that surpass the human range of hearing? And what kind of music can possibly need that sort of range?
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1235 on: June 04, 2010, 10:14:42 pm »
They're just more notes. Some music uses different more specific notes than others. Maybe use an analogy with software (with your new degree): some programs have different system requirements than others.
There are other worlds than these

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #1236 on: June 05, 2010, 12:18:02 am »
You'll note that it has four rows of keys, each with five octaves.  My question is, WHY? Does that mean it can play 20 different octaves of music? And if so, don't the ends of that surpass the human range of hearing? And what kind of music can possibly need that sort of range?
I'm pretty sure that each manual (row) goes to a different set of pipes and makes a different sound.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1237 on: June 05, 2010, 12:50:44 am »
Okay, question.  Here we have a typical organ:

You're actually missing several more octaves from the pedalboard, which you can't see. It should have another thirty or so keys that are meant to be played with the feet.

However, they're repetitive notes. You won't get anything past the range of human hearing (which is about 10 to 11 octaves, depending on your age, your gender, and how close you stand to concert speakers).

Those white knobs on either side of the keyboards are called stops. They turn on and off entire groups of pipes and that group of pipes will have a unique sound -- some might sound like different notes of a trumpet or an oboe or even a violin, for example. Each rank of pipes has its own type of sound.

Thus, the organ player could press a key to play C on the top keyboard with the stops set to play the trumpet-sounding set of pipes on that keyboard only. He could also then simultaneously play the exact C note on the bottom keyboard, but with the stops set to play the oboe-sounding set of pipes for that keyboard. So the end result would be a C note from one set of pipes and a C note from another set of pipes being played at the same time.

That should basically answer your question, at least. It's a bit more complicated than that: in reality, different stops will correspond to groups of pipes playing at different octaves, so the keys on a keyboard don't always correspond to a specific note. Still, you won't get 22 or more octaves.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:53:00 am by VijchtiDoodah »

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #1238 on: June 05, 2010, 02:38:06 am »
Hmm, for whatever reason I didn't get all that out of the Wikipedia article.  Thanks, Vij.

So space limitations is the only reason for orchestras that are composed of more than just organs? ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:40:57 am by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #1239 on: June 05, 2010, 09:35:48 pm »
I remember playing a remake of some old RTS a while back, I don't remember what it was called. The first few levels were you on some old planet shooting up renegades and stuff. If you exited, there would be this splash screen with all the developers and stuff, if someone could bring up the name that'd be great.

A.I. really loved to spam bunkers too
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:38:58 pm by Thinkto urself »

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"