Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 269529 times)

DarkCrusade

Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1340 on: September 22, 2010, 03:12:42 pm »
True.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1341 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:03 am »
Thats helpful...What do you mean by true?

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #1342 on: September 23, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »
Yeh, it looks good for someone who didnt learn latin.
For someone who did learn it, the declension is wrong, and im not even sure if you picked the correct words.

Translated, it should be something like the wished translation. But im not completely sure that i picked the correct gram. cases, so here are 2-3 possible translations:
Draco Astri Incendiorum~ "dragon of the star fires"
Draco Incendii Astrorum~ "dragon of the fire of the stars"
Draco Astri Incendii~ "dragon of the star of fire"

Yours would be something like "dragon star fires"
Its a bit hard to do the back translating only with nouns/adjectives without having it in a sentence, as there can be multiple translations, depending on which gram. case you choose, and you cant find it by reading the context, as there is none.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:56:02 pm by croat1gamer »
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1343 on: September 23, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »
For someone who did learn it, the declension is wrong, and im not even sure if you picked the correct words.

Translated, it should be something like the wished translation. But im not completely sure that i picked the correct gram. cases, so here are 2-3 possible translations:

Its a bit hard to do the back translating only with nouns/adjectives without having it in a sentence, as there can be multiple translations, depending on which gram. case you choose, and you cant find it by reading the context, as there is none.
Wow thanks, that's great. I formed that translation based on how some languages are backward, compared to English, like Irish or French, with the noun being described by adjectives and the adjectives coming after it. I'm not even too sure if thats a correct assumption but it sounds right. Thanks again.

Oh, and here's a sentence for you if it helps. "The Starfire Dragon descended from the clouds, bestowing awe and wonder on all who gazed upon it" (I'm a sucker for dramatics and descriptive writing :3)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:13:13 pm by Shard »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1344 on: September 23, 2010, 05:29:51 pm »

Wow thanks, that's great. I formed that translation based on how some languages are backward, compared to English, like Irish or French, with the noun being described by adjectives and the adjectives coming after it. I'm not even too sure if thats a correct assumption but it sounds right. Thanks again.

Oh, and here's a sentence for you if it helps. "The Starfire Dragon descended from the clouds, bestowing awe and wonder on all who gazed upon it" (I'm a sucker for dramatics and descriptive writing :3)

That's not even close to descriptive...
And I think it translates (Literal translation) to astri flamma extraxi.
b&

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #1345 on: September 23, 2010, 06:27:45 pm »
I have an irritating computer problem:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6071/computerbug.png

Notice the red region. I have 2 additional groups of taskbars or whatever. I don't know how the hell they appear and how to remove them. It's not "right-click and remove toolbars" - that doesn't work. FYI, I searched all over Google and didn't get the answer I'm looking for.

EDIT:
It seems to begone on a restart, but I believe it may re-appear because that has already happened once. Though I still have one additional toolbar - at least the one that showed duplicate windows is gone.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:36:51 pm by STM1993 »

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #1346 on: September 23, 2010, 11:49:09 pm »
There can be dozens of ways how to say the same sentence, so all might be correct, but all can be wrong too. I used the words for which i was sure that they have the meaning of the wished word.

Flamma version:
Draco Astri Flammarum
Draco Flammae Astrorum
Draco Astri Flamae
In english, both flamma and incendius mean the same, but they do have a different meaning:

Flamma, -ae, f.~ a controled fire, like a small flame
Incendius, -i, n.~ an uncontroled fire, like a forest fire, you now, the thing that destroys stuff.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1347 on: September 24, 2010, 03:38:42 pm »
There can be dozens of ways how to say the same sentence, so all might be correct, but all can be wrong too. I used the words for which i was sure that they have the meaning of the wished word.

Flamma version:
Draco Astri Flammarum
Draco Flammae Astrorum
Draco Astri Flamae
In english, both flamma and incendius mean the same, but they do have a different meaning:

Flamma, -ae, f.~ a controled fire, like a small flame
Incendius, -i, n.~ an uncontroled fire, like a forest fire, you now, the thing that destroys stuff.

In my books a star is kind of self-controlled.
But yeah, it adds up.
b&

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1348 on: September 24, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »
If 2 identical cars would have a face to face hit, one going at 100mph/kmph (don t mind the speed) and the other standing still, which car will have the most damage?

And could someone find me the source if this picture in this website I've seemed to look everywhere but I cant find it, I'd love to have it bigger and better quality for a wallpaper

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1349 on: September 24, 2010, 10:51:26 pm »
If 2 identical cars would have a face to face hit, one going at 100mph/kmph (don t mind the speed) and the other standing still, which car will have the most damage?
The damage is the same since the impact is the same for each car.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #1350 on: September 25, 2010, 01:08:07 am »
If the static car remains with v=0m/s, the damage should be identical, unless the elasticity forces become big enough to create a visible effect.

Otherwise, the static car would get the most kinetic energy transferred to it from the moving car, and would be pushed backwards, which might lower the impact damage for one of them.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1351 on: September 25, 2010, 08:48:43 am »
If the static car remains with v=0m/s, the damage should be identical, unless the elasticity forces become big enough to create a visible effect.

Otherwise, the static car would get the most kinetic energy transferred to it from the moving car, and would be pushed backwards, which might lower the impact damage for one of them.

You do make sense, but I disagree; I think the static car would receive the most damage considering it has 0 momentum.
In traffic collisions, if not all collisions, the object having the lesser of the two momentum's usually takes the greater amount of impact damage.
b&

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1352 on: September 25, 2010, 09:05:23 am »

You do make sense, but I disagree; I think the static car would receive the most damage considering it has 0 momentum.
In traffic collisions, if not all collisions, the object having the lesser of the two momentum's usually takes the greater amount of impact damage.

The car doesn't necessarily have 0 momentum, actually. It all depends on what your reference frame is.

In this case, the only two objects that matter are the two cars. When they collide, they'll share the energy of the collision regardless of which car is moving relative to which frame.

It's all equal damage.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #1353 on: September 25, 2010, 09:23:01 am »
The car doesn't necessarily have 0 momentum, actually. It all depends on what your reference frame is.

In this case, the only two objects that matter are the two cars. When they collide, they'll share the energy of the collision regardless of which car is moving relative to which frame.

It's all equal damage.
Wouldnt the equal damage be possible only under the ideal conditions?

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #1354 on: September 25, 2010, 09:45:26 am »
Wouldnt it depend if the static car remained stationary during and after the impact?

If the the target car was free to move after the initial impact, the energy should transfer into it and it would take a lot of damage.
However if the stationary car could not move whatsoever, lets imagine its a wall with identical mass, then the incoming car should take the most damage.

Does that make sense? =S
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #1355 on: September 25, 2010, 10:02:03 am »
The car has to move after the impact.
If the car remained static there would be some obvious counter forces to the impact, which would negate them enough so it remains static.

Im not sure about the damage, but in my opinion it should get less damaged if it starts moving, as it would dissipate some energy with it, but if it would be tied to a single place it would get smashed.

It isnt the same as with a wall, because the wall has different physical properties from the material from which the car is made of.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #1356 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:11 am »
It was a metaphorical wall -_- Lets just say the car occupied a region of space that was in a stasis field where time could not penetrate. Would that be a suitable literal hypothetical?
I was using the polarity of the hypothetical situations to determine how energy, mass, and momentum relate.

Think about it graphically - the target car loses energy quickly and stabilises, whilst the target car gains energy quickly and then stabilises. Since the target car will have the greater energy and velocity upon impact, it has the greater deformation potential, no?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #1357 on: September 25, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »
Since the target car will have the greater energy and velocity upon impact, it has the greater deformation potential, no?

So energy is just being created now?

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #1358 on: September 26, 2010, 12:28:34 am »
O_o
Its being transfered like a Newtons cradle, resulting in the second object to posses more potential to move and deform.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline freestyler

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #1359 on: September 26, 2010, 08:24:47 am »
When I copy a lot of files, sometimes I want to replace existing ones with new ones, but not lose them. Basically, I want to copy a file, and when a file already exists, the OLD ONE would be renamed to something like asdsad_old.ext, and the new one would be put in old file's place.

There are a lot of apps (it's built into Windows Explorer too) that rename NEW files, usually by appending something like _2 or (2) to the end of their names. I want to rename EXISTING ones. How to do it?

Googling didn't help. I use TeraCopy, but it doesn't have such feature - well, at least it has queuing.