Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 273776 times)

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1500 on: March 24, 2011, 01:08:02 pm »
Hi i got a question about the Soldat Mapping Showcase
i got a account and im loged in and i activated the e-mail but when i try to upload a map it shows me
:- Error:account must be activated -     why its activated ???
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1501 on: March 24, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »
Hi i got a question about the Soldat Mapping Showcase
i got a account and im loged in and i activated the e-mail but when i try to upload a map it shows me
:- Error:account must be activated -     why its activated ???

Meh, sorry. I'll fix that when I get home in like 2 hours.

edit: Okay, assuming your TMS name is "Vucgy" (which I'm guessing based on your email address here) you are now activated.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:45:06 pm by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #1502 on: March 24, 2011, 05:42:11 pm »
tnx jrgp work now  ;) 

And a modding help can someone give me a at-4 for a cod4 mod i done the
1.eagles
2.uzi
3.g3
4.m4a1
5.xm1014
6.m21
7.rpg
8.m40
9.m240 :)
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #1503 on: March 26, 2011, 04:55:39 am »
I'll buy a new guitar, but I'm not sure if this one is the best I can get for 250€. Any thoughts?

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1504 on: March 27, 2011, 11:37:14 am »
How much memory (as in MB, GB, TB) does a human brain have?

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1505 on: March 27, 2011, 01:53:15 pm »

It's often approximated as 2.5 petabytes, but that's a very rough approximation.

It isn't like a computer where all data is hard coded. Most of your memories are procedurally generated, so to say. What that means is that you keep memories of small details of an event -- general concepts of where you were, who you were talking to, what kinds of things you were talking about, for example. But you generally don't remember the specific words that were said or the other person's facial expressions. When you recall and visualize the memory, all of the gaps between your chunks of memory are filled in on the fly.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1506 on: March 27, 2011, 03:19:06 pm »

It's often approximated as 2.5 petabytes, but that's a very rough approximation.

It isn't like a computer where all data is hard coded. Most of your memories are procedurally generated, so to say. What that means is that you keep memories of small details of an event -- general concepts of where you were, who you were talking to, what kinds of things you were talking about, for example. But you generally don't remember the specific words that were said or the other person's facial expressions. When you recall and visualize the memory, all of the gaps between your chunks of memory are filled in on the fly.

Nah, I wouldn't go as far as estimating the memory of a human brain, for all I know it could be an exabyte, the only thing we know for certain about the human brain's memory, is that it can be VERY precise, some people can remember the tiniest details of certain situations or events they were in, depending on that situation/event's impact or meaning to the person.
b&

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1507 on: March 27, 2011, 05:09:30 pm »
Nah, I wouldn't go as far as estimating the memory of a human brain, for all I know it could be an exabyte, the only thing we know for certain about the human brain's memory, is that it can be VERY precise, some people can remember the tiniest details of certain situations or events they were in, depending on that situation/event's impact or meaning to the person.

Yeah kinda what I thought cause I barely remember 5 moments of my 9th grade (first year of college now) but yet I have clear memories of me riding my quad at 5years old

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #1508 on: March 29, 2011, 03:57:30 pm »
Does anyone know how to find out the size of a website (without owning it)?
I've tried downloading a site with free software, but the results were very corrupt.
I'm not talking about a regular small website. It's a mediawiki with thousands of pages.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #1509 on: March 29, 2011, 09:56:26 pm »
Do you want to know the size without having to download it?

If not, on windows I have used free download manager to download the enesce scripting help pages using its HTML Spider.
On unix operating systems you can use wget to download whole websites.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #1510 on: March 29, 2011, 11:09:49 pm »
Many thanks, downloading the site now ;)

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1511 on: March 30, 2011, 01:34:01 am »

Not as precise as you might think.

Take witness testimony, for example. For years it was widely regarded as fact that people have the sharpest memories of terrifying or stressful circumstances. Witness testimony hinges upon that premise. But it turns out that those "sharp" memories are incredibly malleable. It only takes one inept or corrupt police officer to suggest a slightly different narrative to the witness soon after the event and, more often than not, that suggestion becomes incorporated into the memory, supplanting what really happened, so that the witness will testify to something they believe is utterly true, but is, in fact, a complete falsehood.

Or take torture as an example. Skilled and prolonged torture can convince a completely innocent person that they are guilty. That person might then go on to invent a story of how they're guilty and they might very truthfully confess to a crime they had no part in. And that kind of memory, even when the person knows it's false after years of being free, can still cause doubts.

And like I said, even the sharpest memories are reconstructions from very basic concepts. Think of your most vivid memory. How certain are you of the details? The intonation of a voice, the shape of cloth, how the shadows lie, if you were sweaty or not...you might have a few of those kinds of details, but the vast majority are invented on the spot each time you recall the memory. And that's your most vivid memory -- all the others are more vague than that.

Just by paying attention to those details during recall, you're actively changing the facts of your own memory. If you pay too much attention, what you remember from now on will slowly transform as you begin to remember the latest interpretation of a memory rather than the original memory itself.

Beyond that, all of your current opinions and moods will change what you remember. Psychologists can play some very simple tricks with your mind by putting you into different moods and, voila!, your memories shift slightly to match your current mood.

The only exception to the rule is eidetic memory. But even that is an extreme rarity and is limited to specific kinds of information.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1512 on: March 30, 2011, 08:03:42 am »
Good point, but that is when an outside party plays with you, that's a different case.
Though every word you said WAS indeed true.
b&

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1513 on: March 30, 2011, 10:52:35 am »
Good point, but that is when an outside party plays with you, that's a different case.

We are products of our environment. Some "outside party" plays with every single thing you do and there is nothing you remember that isn't tainted by some internal or external influence.

That's why there is no word in common English to describe a lack of emotion* -- you're always feeling something, even if it's contentment, and that something will affect how you recall events.

*"cold" might be a contender, but this seems to be more a description of affect rather than emotion.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:55:03 am by VijchtiDoodah »

Offline Stuffy

• Soldier
  • Very stuffy.
    • Climb-Zone Forum
« Reply #1514 on: March 30, 2011, 11:09:56 am »
Why are smiluus posts froozen at 666?
The truth is out there? Does anyone know the URL?
The URL is here

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #1515 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:11 pm »
I can only guess that he asked the post count to be frozen at 666 for it is believed to be the number of the beast. The number of the beast, however is arguably 616.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1516 on: March 30, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »
I can only guess that he asked the post count to be frozen at 666

That isn't possible. Maybe as he posts new posts he's deleting old ones.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #1517 on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:14 pm »

I did that for my 1337 one

Offline Stuffy

• Soldier
  • Very stuffy.
    • Climb-Zone Forum
« Reply #1518 on: March 31, 2011, 01:33:29 am »
Wow, thats ridiculous
The truth is out there? Does anyone know the URL?
The URL is here

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1519 on: March 31, 2011, 09:22:08 am »

Or he just sticks to the lobby?
b&