Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 272273 times)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1520 on: March 31, 2011, 12:39:10 pm »
Haven't you seen IE badresort?
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Stuffy

• Soldier
  • Very stuffy.
    • Climb-Zone Forum
« Reply #1521 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:06 pm »
What?
The truth is out there? Does anyone know the URL?
The URL is here

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #1522 on: March 31, 2011, 03:42:26 pm »
And like I said, even the sharpest memories are reconstructions from very basic concepts. Think of your most vivid memory. How certain are you of the details? The intonation of a voice, the shape of cloth, how the shadows lie, if you were sweaty or not...you might have a few of those kinds of details, but the vast majority are invented on the spot each time you recall the memory. And that's your most vivid memory -- all the others are more vague than that.

People really have memories like that? I don't; my brain seems to be wired for more concrete concepts and less abstract ones.  I have no memory of emotion (as such; that is, beyond "I was happy" or whatever), and very little memory of anything visual.  The important things in my life are recalled by remembering the factual details and simply recreating those things in my mind.

My mind takes pictures, not video.  In a judo match, for example, I could tell you what throw I used to win, or what my opponent looked like, but the match itself is a complete blank.  And even those pictures are generalizations; for example, I don't think I've remembered the eye color of anyone I've ever met, even friends and family.

So, I guess my simple question is, is this normal? How do all of you remember things?

We are products of our environment. Some "outside party" plays with every single thing you do and there is nothing you remember that isn't tainted by some internal or external influence.

That's why there is no word in common English to describe a lack of emotion* -- you're always feeling something, even if it's contentment, and that something will affect how you recall events.

Apathy.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1523 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12:42 pm »
Apathy.

Diiiiiiick. :)

Nice catch on that one.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #1524 on: April 02, 2011, 09:52:06 am »
Is there a way to save a HDD with bad sectors, without using chkdsk /f because i dont have access to a windows installation cd?
I really dont want to loose 160 gigs of files, accumulated during 2-3 years of usage.

Except that, any suggestions what to get for Ubuntu? I could use it as a secondary OS, now that im already using it.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #1525 on: April 02, 2011, 10:15:17 am »
Try any any windows software which can repair bad sectors...

But if the HDD had lost his format then the chance to recover the files is almost 0%
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #1526 on: April 02, 2011, 10:26:55 am »
Any windows while being on ubuntu, Yay?
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #1527 on: April 02, 2011, 10:33:53 am »
Download any windows sector fixing bootable software for it and run it from a usb stick or something =_="

But hem, your hdd format probably won't be supported...
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1528 on: April 02, 2011, 11:29:47 am »
"bad sectors" ?

That means individual physical sectors of the hard drive are irreparably damaged. No software program can fix that; the best that can happen is being able to partially salvage what's still readable.

Best you can do is run chkdsk /r and pray.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:31:49 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #1529 on: April 02, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »
And like I said, even the sharpest memories are reconstructions from very basic concepts. Think of your most vivid memory. How certain are you of the details? The intonation of a voice, the shape of cloth, how the shadows lie, if you were sweaty or not...you might have a few of those kinds of details, but the vast majority are invented on the spot each time you recall the memory. And that's your most vivid memory -- all the others are more vague than that.

People really have memories like that? I don't; my brain seems to be wired for more concrete concepts and less abstract ones.  I have no memory of emotion (as such; that is, beyond "I was happy" or whatever), and very little memory of anything visual.  The important things in my life are recalled by remembering the factual details and simply recreating those things in my mind.

My mind takes pictures, not video.  In a judo match, for example, I could tell you what throw I used to win, or what my opponent looked like, but the match itself is a complete blank.  And even those pictures are generalizations; for example, I don't think I've remembered the eye color of anyone I've ever met, even friends and family.

So, I guess my simple question is, is this normal? How do all of you remember things?

this is very interesting. i share the same traits of forgetting my families eye colors and clothes etc. even when i try and picture in my head what my dad looks like its all quite blurry. i know hes kinda old and his brown hair is thinning. hes always got stubble and wears glasses. but thats about it. everything else is kinda blurry. its like i can see him but i cant. i can remember what it feels like when i see his face and thats the main thing i remember

it seems to be different for other things though. like if i were to try and remember a place i used to work at. i go through the hallways in my mind as if im in some kind of computerized 3d architectural display program. and i can remember exactly how long the hallways are were they go and what color everything was. i can even remember what the carpet in that place feels like

it seems like people just dont stick in my head. yet things do

weird s**t

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1530 on: April 03, 2011, 07:36:50 am »

this is very interesting. i share the same traits of forgetting my families eye colors and clothes etc. even when i try and picture in my head what my dad looks like its all quite blurry. i know hes kinda old and his brown hair is thinning. hes always got stubble and wears glasses. but thats about it. everything else is kinda blurry. its like i can see him but i cant. i can remember what it feels like when i see his face and thats the main thing i remember

it seems to be different for other things though. like if i were to try and remember a place i used to work at. i go through the hallways in my mind as if im in some kind of computerized 3d architectural display program. and i can remember exactly how long the hallways are were they go and what color everything was. i can even remember what the carpet in that place feels like

it seems like people just dont stick in my head. yet things do

weird s**t

Or indifference.
As in you don't give a dry fuck about the people.
b&

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1531 on: April 08, 2011, 02:26:57 pm »
Dooes anyone know of a free chat program, that could be run across a network, and might have an overlay thing like steam or xfire and not eat bandwith?

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #1532 on: April 16, 2011, 05:57:58 pm »
hi to all soldat lovers i got a question when is the new soldat 1.5.1 will be relased the complete not this beta" and all that stuff 
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #1533 on: April 17, 2011, 02:52:51 am »
Wrong thread, I guess, but the devs have said that 'when it's ready.' The anticheat is the thing what keeps 'em, I guess.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1534 on: April 17, 2011, 04:48:37 am »
Or indifference.
As in you don't give a dry f**k about the people.

You are a great person.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1535 on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:38 am »
Or indifference.
As in you don't give a dry f**k about the people.

You are a great person.

No, I'm Thomas.
b&

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1536 on: April 27, 2011, 02:37:20 pm »
Anyone know of a soundboard making porgram I can use? I had one a while ago, but I can't find it and google has failed me. And of someway to easlily switch my sound input to output so other hears what I'm hearing and back again.

Dooes anyone know of a free chat program, that could be run across a network, and might have an overlay thing like steam or xfire and not eat bandwith?
No one knows of anything for this?

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #1537 on: April 27, 2011, 06:59:36 pm »

mIRC? No, it doesn't have a overlay thing like you wanted, but it doesn't eat bandwidth.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1538 on: April 28, 2011, 09:29:16 am »

mIRC? No, it doesn't have a overlay thing like you wanted, but it doesn't eat bandwidth.
That went screwy on me a while ago and actually stoped me from using it till I registered. BesIRC works the same and is fine. Xfire might work I guess, plus it has the overlay. I'll see.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #1539 on: April 30, 2011, 11:42:12 am »
What is the best alternative for putty as ssh client? Is it worth learning to use cygwin?
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."