Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 270718 times)

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #260 on: November 07, 2008, 04:25:32 pm »
This is a little old but I've been having some problems where when I read huge text on the internet (usually something like stategy guides) my internet goes unresponsive. Any ideas on the cause? IE7 on vista if that helps.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #261 on: November 07, 2008, 05:23:06 pm »
This is a little old but I've been having some problems where when I read huge text on the internet (usually something like stategy guides) my internet goes unresponsive. Any ideas on the cause? IE7 on vista if that helps.
Yes, IE7 is a horrible browser. Use Firefox or Opera.
There are other worlds than these

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2008, 05:41:47 pm »
Thing is, its worked for probably 6 months or a year, and it suddenly went stupid.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #263 on: November 07, 2008, 06:01:10 pm »
Thing is, its worked for probably 6 months or a year, and it suddenly went stupid.
Check your computer for viruses and *wares.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #264 on: November 07, 2008, 07:02:58 pm »
yet again, muggins here has encountered more technological problems

some idiot wants me to upload photos in the picture thread but i cant because ubuntu wont read my sd card

i put the card in and it comes up with the following:

Unable to mount location
Cannot invoke CheckForKMedia on HAL:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

yes ive tried googling it and yes ive tried the ubuntu forums. it looks like its leaning towards me having to reformat the card itself as i havent done that and it was previously used on windows. then again i have no idea how to do that either as everytime i look it up the answer always includes using a reformat option under system > administration - which i dont apparently have. im fairly new with ubuntu and im still just beginning to understand it properly so im recently having to ask other people for help rather than sorting it out myself which i used to do

if anyone could at least point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #265 on: November 07, 2008, 07:08:03 pm »
Vista and IE7?...they combine together like alcholol-based marinades and gas ovens. Even if both of them were made from the same company, one of them could cause a mutiny.

Browsers like Firefox and Opera shield better against virus and 'wares than IE7 can. If you've used that same browser for six months, it's not surprising that something bad could turn up even if you've got virus scanners and the such.

Now for my question...in your opinion, what is the best how-to-draw tutorial books or anatomy books? I've got George Bridgman's anatomy books chock-full of body sketches. They really help, but I can't really flesh out the sketches to something more animu, which is my style.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #266 on: November 07, 2008, 07:17:53 pm »
yet again, muggins here has encountered more technological problems

some idiot wants me to upload photos in the picture thread but i cant because ubuntu wont read my sd card

i put the card in and it comes up with the following:

Unable to mount location
Cannot invoke CheckForKMedia on HAL:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

yes ive tried googling it and yes ive tried the ubuntu forums. it looks like its leaning towards me having to reformat the card itself as i havent done that and it was previously used on windows. then again i have no idea how to do that either as everytime i look it up the answer always includes using a reformat option under system > administration - which i dont apparently have. im fairly new with ubuntu and im still just beginning to understand it properly so im recently having to ask other people for help rather than sorting it out myself which i used to do

if anyone could at least point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated
That's pretty odd. My ubuntu laptop reads SD cards just fine. What version of ubuntu are you on and how is the sd card reader attached to your computer?

My question: if a perfectly healthy human being is asleep on the ground outside, will vultures, hawks and other animal predators attempt eating him/her or can they sense when someone is alive or dead? I'm always afraid to let my tiny Yorkshire Terrier outside because there are a lot of hawks where I live. Luckily, whenever I let him out I also let my huge German Shepherd out too; he always chases away birds, possums, squirrels and dogs/cats he doesn't know when they try to come near our house.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:27:12 pm by jrgp »

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
« Reply #267 on: November 07, 2008, 08:09:01 pm »
That's pretty odd. My ubuntu laptop reads SD cards just fine. What version of ubuntu are you on and how is the sd card reader attached to your computer?

im running 8.04 i think at least thats what it says on the little cd case the cd came in. i dont know if the version has changed since i installed the updates

my sd card reader

hmmmmmm i dont know theres just a slot on my tower with sd written above it. the pc itself is about 4 years old. and i know the slot is fine its hardly ever used but i did use it back with xp

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #268 on: November 07, 2008, 09:28:09 pm »
That idiot probably doesn't even care any more.   ;)
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2008, 03:23:26 am »
That idiot probably doesn't even care any more.   ;)
I hope you're not referring to me ... :(

im running 8.04 i think at least thats what it says on the little cd case the cd came in. i dont know if the version has changed since i installed the updates

my sd card reader

hmmmmmm i dont know theres just a slot on my tower with sd written above it. the pc itself is about 4 years old. and i know the slot is fine its hardly ever used but i did use it back with xp
I'd say try mounting it from the command line.

Firstly, make the folder where it should be mounted. Try /mnt/sd. sudo mkdir /mnt/sd

Second, see if you can locate the card's device name. It's probably /dev/sd something. Go to your terminal and type this: cat /dev/sd and press tab a few times until you see several things come up, then do Control-C. One of those will be the partition on your SD card. Try each with step 3, the one that works should be your card.

Now that you've got that, mount it: sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdX1 /mnt/sd
(Of course replace sdX with the device name you found in step two.)

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2008, 04:26:46 pm »
i did all of that and got this:

Code: [Select]
:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/sd
:~$ cat /dev/sd
sda   sda1  sda2  sda5  sdb   sdc   sdd   sde   
:~$ cat /dev/sd
:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/sd
mount: /dev/sda already mounted or /mnt/sd busy
:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sd
mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt/sd busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is mounted on /
:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/sd
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda5 /mnt/sd
mount: /dev/sda5 already mounted or /mnt/sd busy
:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /mnt/sd
mount: No medium found
:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /mnt/sd
:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdd /mnt/sd
:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sde /mnt/sd
mount: /dev/sde: can't read superblock

so i figured it was probably the file system on the card that was the problem. so i converted it to fat32 on windows and i still got the same problem. so then i typed this in and got this:

Code: [Select]
:~$ dmesg | tail
[33534.392881] sd 3:0:0:3: [sde] Bad block number requested
[33534.419873] sd 3:0:0:3: [sde] Bad block number requested
[33534.446867] sd 3:0:0:3: [sde] Bad block number requested
[33534.473862] sd 3:0:0:3: [sde] Bad block number requested
[33534.500860] sd 3:0:0:3: [sde] Bad block number requested
[33534.527853] sd 3:0:0:3: [sde] Bad block number requested
[33534.554849] sd 3:0:0:3: [sde] Bad block number requested
[33534.581845] sd 3:0:0:3: [sde] Bad block number requested
[33613.393011] FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
[33613.393028] VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda2.

i have absolutely no idea what that means

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #271 on: January 14, 2009, 04:23:58 am »
Hello fellas. This old thread still has some juice in it, it seems ;)

So I've been looking around for a way to change my Windows XP interface, but all I have to choose from is the old blue/green/grey ones. How do I make it look like this, for example:

I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2009, 07:21:56 am »
To download and install MS' Zune black and orange theme: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75078

Thing about custom XP themes is that you have to patch one of XP's core DLL's which lets you use and install custom themes; until you do that, you can only use and install ones that are made by and signed by MS.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:32 am »
Thing about custom XP themes is that you have to patch one of XP's core DLL's which lets you use and install custom themes

Okay, thanks mate. How do I do that then?

EDIT: The link works perfect and so does the DL.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #274 on: January 18, 2009, 10:06:33 pm »
Okay, I've been wondering this for a while:

If you take a potato, cut it, and put over the tip of a handgun and shoot the gun, will it be silenced in any way whatsoever? This happened in a movie I saw recently and people said it was to silence it. Personally, I think it's a load of crap considering how fast the bullet flies out.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #275 on: January 18, 2009, 11:00:50 pm »
I wouldn't think so, but its not really how fast the bullet flies. The bullet moving through the air doesn't really cause much of the noise, I believe.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #276 on: January 19, 2009, 02:49:26 am »
I've accidentally deleted my recycle bin shortcut.. how do I get it back? (vista)

Player since late 2007

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #277 on: January 19, 2009, 03:51:59 am »
I wouldn't think so, but its not really how fast the bullet flies. The bullet moving through the air doesn't really cause much of the noise, I believe.

I've heard somewhere that the boom comes from the bullet going supersonic, but I have no idea if it's true.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2009, 09:54:18 am »
Okay, I've been wondering this for a while:

If you take a potato, cut it, and put over the tip of a handgun and shoot the gun, will it be silenced in any way whatsoever? This happened in a movie I saw recently and people said it was to silence it. Personally, I think it's a load of crap considering how fast the bullet flies out.
The loud sound comes from the explosion inside the chamber, more specifically it comes from the very very quick escape of gas at extremely high pressure the instant the bullet leaves the barrel, the idea is that the potato would deaden some of that pressure in the same way that a suppressor allows the gases to expand slower.

So yes, although you will leave chunks of crispy potato all over the crime scene.

Also smegma bullets "whirr" by, the only difference with supersonic is that you hear the sound after the captain becomes a watersack.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:57:18 am by a-4-year-old »
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2009, 01:29:14 pm »
I've accidentally deleted my recycle bin shortcut.. how do I get it back? (vista)

Right-click desktop -> Personalize -> (Left side of window) Change Desktop Icons -> Check Recycle Bin -> Apply
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came