Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 270544 times)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #840 on: November 08, 2009, 09:55:29 am »
Well thats not why i'm asking, i'm still on 1GB ram and 128mb graphics.
That means that your computer is having 1152mb RAM (1gb+128mb)

umm, No. The video ram is used exclusively by the video card, not the rest of the system. As a matter of fact, when/if that runs out, the video card borrows ram from the rest of the system instead. But video ram never actually gets added to the system ram.

I'ma correct myself. It appears that on Linux you actually can use the video card's ram as swapspace (similar to the windows paging file) -- http://blog.urbanmainframe.com/2009/11/using-graphic-card-memory-as-swap/
There are other worlds than these

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #841 on: November 11, 2009, 03:10:53 pm »
So I installed this english dictionary as an add-on for my firefox, but I can't seem to enableit. Any thoughts?

EDIT: So I might not actually need the dictionary add-on. It seems there's supposed to be an onboard dictionary on the computer. I remember I used to have it enabled on my old stationary. It would switch on automatically when I started writing english. I know I could always just set up my keyboard to english, but there are certain letters in the Danish alphabet that doesn't show on the english keyboard, so that's nt exactly preferrable.

HALP!

Second edit: Fixed. Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:35:15 pm by echo_trail »
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #842 on: November 11, 2009, 05:37:55 pm »
My computer is starting to crap out, it freezes and the actual case clicks in two click bursts about 5 seconds apart.

I assume it is the hard drive as every time I turn on, the bios says the hard drive will suffer imminent failure or some-such.

I have had this hard drive for just coming up on 2 years now, and it is in a desktop, is it usual for hard drives to fail so soon?
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #843 on: November 11, 2009, 05:51:52 pm »
Modern hard drives suck in terms of longevity. Especially if you don't have proper cooling. 

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #844 on: November 11, 2009, 09:08:15 pm »
If your hard-drive is anything like my old one (imminent failure as well), it lasted me about two months after I got the messages.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #845 on: November 11, 2009, 11:32:34 pm »
If your hard-drive is anything like my old one (imminent failure as well), it lasted me about two months after I got the messages.
The only problem is that the freezing is really getting on my nerves, pretty much whenever I open a new 'window', whether it be a new tab in firefox, the start menu or opening a folder, the thing starts clicking.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:36:24 pm by chutem »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #846 on: November 12, 2009, 12:55:47 am »
The nonchalant way you talk about it seems to suggest that you have backed up your important info, but if you haven't, now is the time to do it!
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #847 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11:48 pm »
First thing I done.

'Nother question:
Quote from: Computer guy from a company
...replacing a motherboard on a laptop is equivalent to buying a whole new laptop (in terms of price)...
True/False?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #848 on: November 12, 2009, 04:14:35 pm »
First thing I done.

'Nother question:
Quote from: Computer guy from a company
...replacing a motherboard on a laptop is equivalent to buying a whole new laptop (in terms of price)...
True/False?

Utter bullshit, since [laptop] hard drives are not laptop/manufacturer specific and most are under $100 depending on the size. What's even cooler is that since htey use the same exact sata data/power connectors as desktop ones, you can use them in your desktop PC too.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #849 on: November 12, 2009, 04:31:15 pm »
/fail reading there jrgp he said mobo not HDD

Most laptops [name brand ones by HP/Dell/etc] are generally proprietary and aren't designed to be upgraded. RAM perhaps. These computers are generally not worth trying to fix with replacement parts, especially mobos. Send them in or get another one.
More "boutique" laptops like the ones by Clevo ARE designed to be modifiable; you CAN replace the mobo on your own if you feel like it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:32:59 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #850 on: November 12, 2009, 04:39:23 pm »
/fail reading there jrgp he said mobo not HDD

Oh, umm, s**t.

However, if your laptop is new enough to still get free/cheap hardware support from the manufacturer and they're willing to replace parts, they might replace the motherboard with an equivalent for free. (assuming you didn't break it deliberately)

But as far as upgrades go, Espie is 100% correct.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #851 on: November 16, 2009, 12:53:03 am »
a while back i remember some fake soldat guide book of sorts. It was a fake advertisement with an "excerpt" outlining the different soldat playing styles, and i remember it being pretty funny. I wanna say keron had something to do with it, i may be wrong.....if im making any sense to anyone help me out here, id like to read it again.
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #852 on: November 17, 2009, 04:18:11 pm »
As some of you may know, I'm a tard with computers. I bought this laptop that has like 3.0 ram or something, and it's currently running on Vista. I've been told that Vista takes up around 1.0 of those just running, whereas XP takes like a fifth of that. So, first of all, is this true? And also, how complicated is it to put XP on a lappy if it's not fully integrated with it to start with, and not having all your drivers fucking up?

Also, I might not be making any sense, 'cause I'm pretty much walking around in the dark with this.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #853 on: November 17, 2009, 04:24:17 pm »
Does anyone know where I can find all the seasons of Digimon online? I watched it when I was like 10, but only saw a few episodes. It was awesome.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #854 on: November 17, 2009, 04:40:47 pm »
*snip* You naughty boy, you.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:48:04 pm by echo_trail »

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #855 on: November 17, 2009, 04:45:32 pm »
Much obliged Panzer. Tried stuff like that without much success

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #856 on: November 17, 2009, 06:12:48 pm »
As some of you may know, I'm a tard with computers. I bought this laptop that has like 3.0 ram or something, and it's currently running on Vista. I've been told that Vista takes up around 1.0 of those just running, whereas XP takes like a fifth of that. So, first of all, is this true? And also, how complicated is it to put XP on a lappy if it's not fully integrated with it to start with, and not having all your drivers f**king up?

Also, I might not be making any sense, 'cause I'm pretty much walking around in the dark with this.

Well, if you really feel the need to install XP, get a valid install cd with a legit license and reformat your drive and install it. As for the drivers... here's where it gets tricky. Laptops usually require lots of them, and you need to make sure you install them in the right order, otherwise it'll get f**ked and you'll need to start over again. Check the manufacturer for instructions on this.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #857 on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:35 pm »
"To locate a drowned person, lay some quicksilver on the middle of a slice of bread and let the bread rest on the water where the person went down. The bread and quicksilver will float and stop above the submerged body."

Is that.. true?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #858 on: November 20, 2009, 09:09:11 pm »
"To locate a drowned person, lay some quicksilver on the middle of a slice of bread and let the bread rest on the water where the person went down. The bread and quicksilver will float and stop above the submerged body."

Is that.. true?

I was wondering that too. You should send it to mythbusters. ;D

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #859 on: November 21, 2009, 04:30:58 am »
How could that possibly be true? Show me science, damn you!