Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 270600 times)

DarkCrusade

Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #860 on: November 21, 2009, 06:22:15 am »
"To locate a drowned person, lay some quicksilver on the middle of a slice of bread and let the bread rest on the water where the person went down. The bread and quicksilver will float and stop above the submerged body."

Is that.. true?

It´s as false as you take normally 2 times a day a shower, jrgp. Concerning that quicksilver is just quicksilver and has no magical powers and that a drowned body won´t adduct anything but decomposition it´s just not possible. Except your slice of bread is connected with the drowned body via a rope, but that is going too much into detail to be honest.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #861 on: November 21, 2009, 10:19:00 am »
"To locate a drowned person, lay some quicksilver on the middle of a slice of bread and let the bread rest on the water where the person went down. The bread and quicksilver will float and stop above the submerged body."

Is that.. true?

It´s as false as you take normally 2 times a day a shower, jrgp. Concerning that quicksilver is just quicksilver and has no magical powers and that a drowned body won´t adduct anything but decomposition it´s just not possible. Except your slice of bread is connected with the drowned body via a rope, but that is going too much into detail to be honest.

ugh, I do take two showers a day, you prick. And I was quoting a book and was wondering if there was any validity in it or if Mark Twain was just f**king around.
There are other worlds than these

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #862 on: November 21, 2009, 01:03:45 pm »
2 showers a day is a lot unless you're doing a lot of athletic stuff.

The quote is probably wrong. While it will float in the same direction as the dead body, it won't just stop over it. Back in the 1800's mercury was thought of as a cure-all and does-all substance, when really it's pretty toxic and just looks cool when it rolls around.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #863 on: November 21, 2009, 01:10:59 pm »
2 showers a day is a lot unless you're doing a lot of athletic stuff.

I'm a clean freak and hate smelling like sweat or feeling grungy. I wash my jeans after a single wear, I shampoo my hair twice using pantene to get it as straight and soft as possible, spend 5 minutes cleaning my contacts when I take them out, and go nuts brushing my teeth ~4 times a day like the dainty c**t I am.

And as for the stuff you said about mercury, it makes sense.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #864 on: November 21, 2009, 01:29:15 pm »
Then I´ve got a question now: "Isn´t it just crazy to be such a clean freak?" I mean, I do sports and just take one shower a day. I don´t feel bad because of it.

Just by the way: Mercury is great. But not Freddy.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #865 on: November 21, 2009, 07:46:58 pm »
How easy is it to get a legit vista install CD for free or very little cost, seeing as I have a legit serial.

I need to replace my hard drive, and I'll probably put vista on if I can get the install CD, but the s**tty department stores don't seem to include an OS disk anymore.

What would be the easiest way?
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #866 on: November 21, 2009, 08:23:51 pm »
Find someone who is personally working with computers, not in a computer shop and ask him if he has a Vista enterprise edition.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #867 on: November 21, 2009, 08:52:36 pm »
Actually afaik Vista disc keys are bound to the disc whence they came. One key might not work in another disc, even if it is legit.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #868 on: November 22, 2009, 01:14:52 am »
Most new laptops and computers should have preloaded software that allows you to create a backup DVD of the 'backup' partition on your HDD which reinstalls vista (assuming your HDD came preloaded). I can't guarantee this works because I havent tested mine (and never will)  If you dont have the software you could just download it from Acer or something.

Player since late 2007

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #869 on: November 22, 2009, 03:24:59 am »
Damn, I was hoping there was a way I could get Microsoft to send one out.

What about if I acquired a not so legit disk, would there be any hassles involved with that?

Ugh why cant the god damn shops include an install disk with computer packages, seeing as it was included in the cost. Useless idiots.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #870 on: November 22, 2009, 03:35:11 am »
Damn, I was hoping there was a way I could get Microsoft to send one out.

The odds of having Microsoft do anything for you directly is actually less than nil, unless you work there.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #871 on: November 22, 2009, 03:51:44 am »
Ok so I remembered one last thing.

There's this partition on my HD called Factory Image, with a folder called Recovery in it. There is a warning message stopping me from going into it cause I might damage it etc. I suppose this would be able to install the OS, but I have never noticed any programs as mentioned by Hair Trigger.

How would I go about getting this to shoot over to a new HD?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #872 on: November 22, 2009, 04:20:47 am »

There's this partition on my HD called Factory Image, with a folder called Recovery in it. There is a warning message stopping me from going into it cause I might damage it etc. I suppose this would be able to install the OS, but I have never noticed any programs as mentioned by Hair Trigger.

Yeah, that's what manufacturers call a "Recovery Partition." See if you can find any information relating to its use on your computer brand's site.

You might be able to install a second drive in the system, boot to that partition in your old shitty drive, and use it to install blista on your new drive.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #873 on: November 22, 2009, 05:05:02 am »
If you cant find any software on your computer you can probably go to your manufacturer's website and download the utilities (which might include a lot of screwing around, but you can uninstall it once you've burned your DVD(s))

Alternatively, I suggest you upgrade to Windows 7..

Player since late 2007

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #874 on: November 22, 2009, 05:50:02 am »
Then I´ve got a question now: "Isn´t it just crazy to be such a clean freak?" I mean, I do sports and just take one shower a day. I don´t feel bad because of it.

Just by the way: Mercury is great. But not Freddy.

That's pretty disgusting. On the days you do sports you should shower twice. Once after sports, and once as you would regularly.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #875 on: November 22, 2009, 12:46:00 pm »
Depends on when you take the shower, on days I know I will be smelly and nasty I wait until I have done everything nasty then take a good shower.
@ii

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #876 on: November 22, 2009, 12:58:08 pm »
Look, if you know you're gonna be around people, the decent thing to do is shower when you wake up, and then again after sports if that's on the agenda. Of course you're excused, Graham, since you live in the south.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #877 on: November 22, 2009, 03:25:07 pm »

Yeah, that's what manufacturers call a "Recovery Partition." See if you can find any information relating to its use on your computer brand's site.

You might be able to install a second drive in the system, boot to that partition in your old s**tty drive, and use it to install blista on your new drive.

So I seem to be getting somewhere with this. A quick search on the compaq website found this.

Step 2 on all the options says "remove any recently added internal hardware". I have changed the PSU, Graphics Card (from on-board to an 8600) and added some RAM. I suppose I would just need to uninstall the drivers for the GFX card, as the other two don't use specific drivers (?), so would that mean I would need to find and install drivers for the on board or would it be enough just to unplug the GFX card?

Also, the instructions don't make any mention of selecting which drive to install to, which would make me think it would just go straight onto the crapped out HD, or is there something in the actual windows setup, which the instructions say will start up after the computer restarts?

Maybe, although I have never had any problems with vista itself. But it does sound like a lot less hassle.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #878 on: November 22, 2009, 05:12:22 pm »

You might be able to install a second drive in the system, boot to that partition in your old s**tty drive, and use it to install blista on your new drive.

So I seem to be getting somewhere with this. A quick search on the compaq website found this.

Step 2 on all the options says "remove any recently added internal hardware". I have changed the PSU, Graphics Card (from on-board to an 8600) and added some RAM. I suppose I would just need to uninstall the drivers for the GFX card, as the other two don't use specific drivers (?), so would that mean I would need to find and install drivers for the on board or would it be enough just to unplug the GFX card?

Also, the instructions don't make any mention of selecting which drive to install to, which would make me think it would just go straight onto the crapped out HD, or is there something in the actual windows setup, which the instructions say will start up after the computer restarts?

Maybe, although I have never had any problems with vista itself. But it does sound like a lot less hassle.

From what I've read and my limited testing of Win7 (under a vm) is that it's much better, faster, reliable, and more visually appealing. Win/win/win/win! situation. Go for it. Getting cheap installs of Win7 might be cheaper than Vista.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #879 on: November 22, 2009, 05:14:40 pm »
Getting cheap installs of Win7

Cheap installs? What?