Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 270390 times)

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1100 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:32 pm »
Need your help. I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer, and everything works except my microphone. Any of you had this problem? I was thinking maybe the drivers werent properly updated or something, but seeing as I know s**t about computers, I'll need your help on that as well.

HEELP!
I know for my vista drivers everytime I plug in my mic a window pops up and I have to select the mic option in a little program. It's annoying as all get out, but everything in vista is like that.
@ii

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #1101 on: February 18, 2010, 04:41:37 pm »
Look for your microphone's brand name and model number, and then go to company's site and look for drivers (usually in "downloads" section or something).
Download a driver for your model (make sure it's compatible with windows 7 though. Usually there are separate drivers for different systems) and install it like any other program.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #1102 on: February 18, 2010, 04:48:09 pm »
Make sure the mic works: test it on another computer or use a linux live cd to test it.
Try a different mic port if you have one.
Play with sound settings.
Reinstall drivers.
Do microphone dance around computer while chanting ancient egyptian songs of death.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #1103 on: February 18, 2010, 05:11:59 pm »
It's a build-in microphone, if that requires a diffferent approach.  Got it working somewhat, but I had to turn the boosters up all the way, and it still gives a weird noice and a general feeling that it doesn't function as it should.

Another question then.. Ever since I formatted my computer, I no longer have the program I used to operate things such as my webcam. It will turn on automatically with skype and such, but I can't adjust the brightness and stuff whenever I'm using it without a program that allows me to do it directly(such as skype). Are there any universal programs out there that'll let you do this?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:34:04 pm by echo_trail »
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1104 on: February 19, 2010, 07:10:37 pm »
I am looking for something that I would plug in a wall outlet and that it would give me a specific voltage that I could change with simply turning a nob, but like something that has wires that I could attach to a little electric motor for example and then simply detach the wire and change to an LED or an other motor perhaps, but yeah how the hell would that be named?

Another question

Is it possible to charge and use a Garmin Nuvi 255 to a pc? because when I connect it it shows up an image that shows the GPS is connected to the pc but is there a way to work with it while connected to the pc because I cant turn it on when its unpluged from the cars "lighter" even after letting it uo for like 45 min +
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:51:07 pm by Snake »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #1105 on: February 19, 2010, 07:41:28 pm »
I am looking for something that I would plug in a wall outlet and that it would give me a specific voltage that I could change with simply turning a nob, but like something that has wires that I could attach to a little electric motor for example and then simply detach the wire and change to an LED or an other motor perhaps, but yeah how the hell would that be named?
Uh, I'm not sure if I understood you right, but I think what you need is simply a "power adapter".
In stores there should be models that have switches that change polarity and voltage, as well as different types of plugs.

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1106 on: February 19, 2010, 07:54:47 pm »
Uh, I'm not sure if I understood you right, but I think what you need is simply a "power adapter".
In stores there should be models that have switches that change polarity and voltage, as well as different types of plugs.

Well I just want like a kind of a charger but with like a regulator that I could change the power from 0.5V to 20V (example) with some alligator clips
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:56:45 pm by Snake »

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #1107 on: February 20, 2010, 01:33:32 pm »

Well I just want like a kind of a charger but with like a regulator that I could change the power from 0.5V to 20V (example) with some alligator clips

What kind of motor are you trying to run?

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1108 on: February 21, 2010, 05:51:06 pm »

Well just like any kind of electric motor...from like a drill to a mini helicopter... thats the reason I'd like to be able to change the output so that not to burn it

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #1109 on: February 22, 2010, 11:07:43 pm »

Well just like any kind of electric motor...from like a drill to a mini helicopter... thats the reason I'd like to be able to change the output so that not to burn it

AC or DC?

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1110 on: February 23, 2010, 01:36:42 am »
AC or DC?

OR AC/DC?

I got...NINE LIVES...CAT'S EYES...abusing every one of them and running wild.
CAUSE I'M BACK!

* VijchtiDoodah duck walks across the room
* VijchtiDoodah turns and duck walks back

WELL I'M BAHAHAHAHACK
BAHAHAHACK
WELL I'M BACK IN BLACK!

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1111 on: February 23, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »
Im lookng for books about dragons. From adventures to escapades. Something interesting with a good storyline, preferably a series but singles are ok too. The kind of book I am really looking for is one that follows exploits of one dragon, hopefully across a few books. I have read the Inheritence books and am hooked on those( Eragon). Stuff like that too. Also if you could tell me where i can buy them from but names are ok. Thanks. 

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #1112 on: February 23, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #1113 on: February 24, 2010, 10:30:10 am »
A new guitar (Telecaster) or a XBOX360

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1114 on: February 24, 2010, 02:49:01 pm »

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #1115 on: February 24, 2010, 05:59:02 pm »

If you don't buy the guitar(and provide pictures of the purchase along with the receipt), I'll ban you from the forums.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #1116 on: February 24, 2010, 07:31:20 pm »
If you don't buy the guitar(and provide pictures of the purchase along with the receipt), I'll ban you from the forums.
You'll have my full support. :D
Why not XBox - I'll quote myself from a different thread:

Microsoft are money wh***s, they charge for everything you normally wouldn't have to pay on PC (even games themselves ;D). Plus many games are simply not meant to be played with gamepads. I prefer good ol' mouse & WASD.
So stick with PC. PC is for reel proz.
Besides, playing guitar will prove to be more useful in life than molesting a gamepad.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:33:21 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #1117 on: February 24, 2010, 11:54:18 pm »
Besides, playing guitar will prove to be more useful in life than molesting a gamepad.
This is what guitar players actually believe. I know plenty of guitar players, only one has a chance in it ever being anything but a hobby and he has had to sacrifice in every facet of his life for that. Games and instruments are equal hobbies. Also durr hurr micro$oft isn't a useful argument. Some people like playing with controllers, other don't. That is the only real argument for not buying a console besides funds.
@ii

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #1118 on: February 25, 2010, 01:44:33 am »
Games and instruments are equal hobbies.

I disagree. The scope of career choices offered by learning to play an instrument (soundtrack composer, live performer, teacher, etc.) is much larger than the spectrum offered from playing video games; especially considering that the actual act of playing video games as a hobby has very little to do with development in terms of skill transition.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #1119 on: February 25, 2010, 06:39:50 am »
How can you even compare playing the guitar and playing computer games? Buying yourself a PC or a console, only for playing games, is never the better option.