Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 269531 times)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1300 on: August 16, 2010, 09:44:15 pm »
As far as defibrillators and overly dramatic movie representations of them go, I'm pretty sure they don't even revive someone whose heart is stopped.  They just normalize an erratic heartbeat.  (Sort of like how silencers don't work anything close to how well they do in movies.)
While we're correcting things, defibrillators really can restart a person's heart after it has stopped, the electricity can cause the muscles to contract and restore a heartbeat.

Also suppressors work REALLY well on subsonic ammunition, The De Lisle carbine's bolt action was louder than its shot if one used subsonic ammo. Here's an M14 (a notoriously loud rifle) suppressed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=socgmULGVOA
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1301 on: August 17, 2010, 02:59:17 am »
Also suppressors work REALLY well on subsonic ammunition, The De Lisle carbine's bolt action was louder than its shot if one used subsonic ammo. Here's an M14 (a notoriously loud rifle) suppressed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=socgmULGVOA

Wow. I had no idea subsonic ammunition could work so well with a suppressor.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #1302 on: August 22, 2010, 11:51:33 am »
I'm usually pretty decent at grammar, but I'm not so sure about this instance:

One in three doctors agree...
OR
One in three doctors agrees...

I know the rule of thumb is that if it's a singular noun actually doing the action, the singular form should be used ("one of my teammates wins a lot").  But in the above case, is the "one in three" considered a full subject? Because one in three is actually 33 percent, which is a plural.  However, "one" by itself is clearly singular.  Anyone know this?
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #1303 on: August 22, 2010, 05:07:34 pm »
First one sounds better to me.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1304 on: August 22, 2010, 05:17:26 pm »
I'm usually pretty decent at grammar, but I'm not so sure about this instance:

OR

I know the rule of thumb is that if it's a singular noun actually doing the action, the singular form should be used ("one of my teammates wins a lot").  But in the above case, is the "one in three" considered a full subject? Because one in three is actually 33 percent, which is a plural.  However, "one" by itself is clearly singular.  Anyone know this?
Ignore the s**t after the preposition. Or as my english teacher would call it, the object of the preposition does not change the subject of the sentence. One doctor agrees The rule is the same as the one you used in your example.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #1305 on: August 22, 2010, 10:57:48 pm »

This is the same as saying 33% of doctors agree...

It's worded a bit funky, but now you're essentially saying "Here are three doctors, this one agrees that..."

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1306 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:37 am »
I have over 5 and a half gigs of soldat screen shots. I really need space on my pc. What do I do if I dont want to delete them?

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:31:37 am by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1308 on: August 23, 2010, 10:03:08 am »
external hard drives are cheaper than ever. If you've got the money you can get a huge one to back up everything or a smaller one for extra space.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1309 on: August 23, 2010, 10:33:50 am »
Say I cant exactly stretch my budget far enough?

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #1310 on: August 23, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
You can't afford 15 bucks for a memory stick? Ouch, bro.
Gamer_2k4

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1311 on: August 23, 2010, 01:43:20 pm »
Cus I need to get my hands on E140 to get new parts. So, aside from hardware, what can I do?

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #1312 on: August 23, 2010, 01:45:26 pm »
Uber compression?
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1313 on: August 23, 2010, 01:56:03 pm »
I don't trust them but there are online backup sites. I couldn't recommend a specific one.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1314 on: August 23, 2010, 02:14:00 pm »
Its ok, I remembered a program I have. Irfan View, as I type is it converting all 2437 files from bmp to png.

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #1315 on: August 23, 2010, 02:25:47 pm »
Its ok, I remembered a program I have. Irfan View, as I type is it converting all 2437 files from bmp to png.

That might help a tiny bit, but in the end *.png is a lossless image format and the filesize will still be pretty large. Go *.jpg and you will probably shave a gig off of that size.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #1316 on: August 23, 2010, 04:25:00 pm »

That might help a tiny bit, but in the end *.png is a lossless image format and the filesize will still be pretty large.

Sure, but at least it's compressed.  Going from WAV to FLAC, for example, cuts the size in half, even though the latter is still lossless.
Gamer_2k4

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #1317 on: August 23, 2010, 11:03:51 pm »
(or alternatively you could delete the shitty ones)
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1318 on: August 24, 2010, 06:24:19 am »

That might help a tiny bit, but in the end *.png is a lossless image format and the filesize will still be pretty large. Go *.jpg and you will probably shave a gig off of that size.
Lol are you sure you know what your talking about? I shaved 4 GIGS off :P

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #1319 on: August 24, 2010, 07:54:32 pm »

Lol are you sure you know what your talking about? I shaved 4 GIGS off :P
shard, someone could tell you to put a magnet to your hard drive to suck off all the magnetic dust inside it and you would probably believe them.

.bmps are taboo in image formats, no one wants to use them because they're so f**king huge. .pngs are much smaller than .bmps. .jpg's are even smaller, and can look exactly like the .png it was converted from. a 3.23mb png image of my desktop is only 673kb in jpeg format, and looks exactly the same. if you're going to store a shitton of images you probably never look at you'd be best off using jpeg

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"