Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 270487 times)

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1400 on: October 17, 2010, 03:25:08 pm »
Hrm, there was an update that "fixed" WAT remover so it wasn't working any more...maybe I'm wrong...
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #1401 on: October 17, 2010, 04:50:03 pm »
Uh, I used WAT remover, but my Windows7 still validates and updates just fine. :S
But I suppose InfiniteRearm is a bit more "legal" way to do that.
I have automatic updates turned off. So will WAT remover be a guaranteed fix then?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #1402 on: October 17, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »
Uh, I used WAT remover, but my Windows7 still validates and updates just fine. :S
But I suppose InfiniteRearm is a bit more "legal" way to do that.
I have automatic updates turned off. So will WAT remover be a guaranteed fix then?
I never had a problem with it, updates download just fine. There is however one update which might bork it (KB971033), but that update is optional and you can simply hide it from the list. And even if you do accidentally install it, AFAIK WAT remover fixes that as well.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1403 on: October 20, 2010, 03:21:55 pm »
So I recently formatted y PC and found out that REGEDIT.exe somehow got fucked out of existence.
I looked in my windows folder but came up with nada, so I looked around the internet for a downlaod, and it's all pay-per-DL...
I don't want to pay 19 bucks for a couple of kb's worth of software that I think is included free in any windows OS.

Anyone know the place to get a full version of REGEDIT.exe for free?
b&

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1404 on: October 20, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
Reformat? Fix install?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1405 on: October 20, 2010, 08:26:32 pm »
So I recently formatted y PC and found out that REGEDIT.exe somehow got f**ked out of existence.
I looked in my windows folder but came up with nada, so I looked around the internet for a downlaod, and it's all pay-per-DL...
I don't want to pay 19 bucks for a couple of kb's worth of software that I think is included free in any windows OS.

Anyone know the place to get a full version of REGEDIT.exe for free?

1) what do you want regedit for anyway? Its a tool for modifying the rhousands of key->value pairs that make up the backbone of windows. The slightest incorrect change can leave your system fucked

2) its copyrighted microsoft. Only place you can legally get is your windows install cd/dvd.

3) just reformat/reinstall windows
There are other worlds than these

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1406 on: October 20, 2010, 09:38:23 pm »
1) what do you want regedit for anyway? Its a tool for modifying the rhousands of key->value pairs that make up the backbone of windows. The slightest incorrect change can leave your system f**ked
You need it to remove that Securerom bullshit completely from the system.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
  • I'm a Soldat freelancer, and I'm Looking for work.
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #1407 on: October 20, 2010, 10:14:42 pm »
I want to screen can my PC, record gameplay. I've tried Fraps, Camtasia Studio, they didn't work. My problem is my whole computer starts to run unbelievably slow and the frame rate that I see and is in my saved videos is terribly.

I have:
Windows Xp professional v. 2002 SP3
1 GB ram
The newest .NET update (doubt it matters...)
Pentium IIII 2.66 GHz
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
Soldat weapon Factory 1.1
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1408 on: October 20, 2010, 10:16:37 pm »
Taksi, no sound, hasn't been updated in years and is generally a shot in the dark, but when I used it to record on soldat and anything running on the steam engine it worked pretty smoothly.

Set the framerate low, if your game is running at 30 fps you can't capture more than 30 fps anyway.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #1409 on: October 20, 2010, 11:09:04 pm »
Also try recording at lower resolutions, I use fraps on the odd occasion I need too, and you can set it to record at half size etc. Also as a4yo said, recording at lower framerates helps.

Even if soldat runs at 100 fps, recording in fraps could be better at 30fps than 60.

EDIT:

Just remembered about a small problem I have.

Parents got a new laptop the other day, old one ran vista and new one runs windows 7. The problem is that a scanner that worked fine on vista doesnt work on windows 7. Using device manager I can see that no drivers are being installed from the CD that came with it. I tried searching through the CD contents and the internet to find the driver file so I could manually install it, but I couldn't find anything, are there any kind of generic scanner drivers that might work?

Btw, it is a microtek scan maker 5 thousand and something.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:14:25 pm by chutem »
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1410 on: October 21, 2010, 07:32:48 am »
Not the answers I was looking for, but thanks for the assistance.
@Joe: What a4yo said.
b&

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #1411 on: October 23, 2010, 02:32:39 am »
Thanks guys Fraps is working great. I remember now that when I first tried using Fraps I was trying to record my desktop, and Fraps is for games xD.
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1412 on: October 23, 2010, 03:36:27 pm »
Ok so I have my laptop downstairs and I have it plugged in to my surround sound with a regular jack at one end and male composite audio at the other end, but the cable, not being long enough, I took 3 other male/female composite cable and joined them together, so is that the reason that there's a lot of background noise? because I'm pretty sure the length of 12 feet doesn't do much, so should I buy just one single cable?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #1413 on: October 23, 2010, 03:57:04 pm »
I have a really crappy phone (Nokia N73 in bad shape) and recently lost my iPod (old Nano). Because of the upcoming christmas I was wondering whether it'd be better to get an iTouch or keep more money and buy an iPhone; or maybe something completly different? My budget is around 180€, and around 300€ after christmas. What do you suggest?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:17:49 pm by DarkCrusade »

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1414 on: October 23, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »
I have a really crappy phone (Nokia N73 in bad shape) and recently lost my iPod (old Nano). Because of the upcoming christmas I was wondering whether it'd be better to get an iTouch or keep more money and buy an iPhone; or maybe something completly different? My budget is around 180€, and around 300€ after christmas. What do you suggest?

if I was you I'd get a iTouch, and for the iPhone...? I would consider it unless it's for business or something like that, because its almost guarantee that your gonna have a 150$ bill each month, well at least here in Canada

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #1415 on: October 23, 2010, 09:18:43 pm »

if I was you I'd get a iTouch, and for the iPhone...? I would consider it unless it's for business or something like that, because its almost guarantee that your gonna have a 150$ bill each month, well at least here in Canada

I agree. The IPhone is great but has a lot of hype targeted to those who don't even need it. If you can use it then that "150$ bill each month" is no problem. otherwise speed your Christmas money some where else... like on a PS3...
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1416 on: October 23, 2010, 09:22:40 pm »
the touch is just as good as a status symbol, rock that with a cheap phone that you don't have to worry about.

I've used the same junker phone for years and dropped it every day without ever having a problem. spend the extra money on fart apps or a tasty sandwitch.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1417 on: October 25, 2010, 08:08:43 am »
I've used the same junker phone for years and dropped it every day without ever having a problem. spend the extra money on fart apps or a tasty sandwitch.

The iphone/itouch have the best apps and Jobs is cracking down on the worthless one. I recently replaced my iPhone with a Droid and some of the apps are of much lower quality (the facebook one is crippled compared to the iOS version) since app makers seem to only care about making iPhone ones.
There are other worlds than these

DarkCrusade

« Reply #1418 on: October 25, 2010, 08:32:58 am »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll go for the iTouch :)

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1419 on: October 30, 2010, 10:02:00 am »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll go for the iTouch :)

Good choice my friend!