Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 270548 times)

DarkCrusade

Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1420 on: November 01, 2010, 03:50:06 pm »
Yeah, this was like the best thing I have ever bought. So much fun (:

Offline Yes

• Soldier
  • Yes.
« Reply #1421 on: November 04, 2010, 03:21:38 am »
Why do people like to pinch cheeks, like baby cheeks? Lol its weird question but I've always wondered that haha
One Love
Yes

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #1422 on: November 04, 2010, 04:44:37 pm »
because it reminds people of the wild baby-pinching days of their youth.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #1423 on: November 07, 2010, 05:41:35 pm »
Looking for a good program to monitor data usage on my computer

• day by day usage a must
  • preferably able to see how much each user used each day
  • set start/end points of the month before allowance gets reset
  • would be good if it could also give a run down of the usage via laptop which is connected wirelessly, without having to change the firmware on the modem router.

cheers
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #1424 on: November 12, 2010, 10:21:08 am »
http://z0r.de/131

Does somebody know the name of this song?

nvm found that they had a nifty song index :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:34:52 am by Psycho »

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1425 on: November 14, 2010, 12:38:11 pm »
I've just seen that appear on my laptop... "consider replacing your battery" WHAT!? serious? I have a ASUS K40IN it should be around a year old now I use it pretty much every day... but like really should I? like its always plugged in except for maybe 1-2 hours 4 times a week. But I've noted that last night the battery lasted MAYBE 1 hour...? it was kinda cold when I started it would it affect it?

• would be good if it could also give a run down of the usage via laptop which is connected wirelessly, without having to change the firmware on the modem router.

cheers

Perhaps the "Rokario Bandwidth Monitor" I've had it a couple years ago on my desktop for when we didn't have unlimited download I don't know if it exactly what you want but it shows day by day data download/upload, they have probably upgraded it since I used and maybe the Pro has what you need.  So just thought I'd let you know
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:49:20 pm by Snake »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #1426 on: November 14, 2010, 01:42:41 pm »
I've just seen that appear on my laptop... "consider replacing your battery" WHAT!? serious? I have a ASUS K40IN it should be around a year old now I use it pretty much every day... but like really should I? like its always plugged in except for maybe 1-2 hours 4 times a week. But I've noted that last night the battery lasted MAYBE 1 hour...? it was kinda cold when I started it would it affect it?

cheers

Perhaps the "Rokario Bandwidth Monitor" I've had it a couple years ago on my desktop for when we didn't have unlimited download I don't know if it exactly what you want but it shows day by day data download/upload, they have probably upgraded it since I used and maybe the Pro has what you need.  So just thought I'd let you know

A year and all that time running the battery should pretty much suffice to eat through it, especially if you charge it often or forget that ti's connected to the charger for too long.
I suggest buying a new one.
b&

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1427 on: November 14, 2010, 01:49:56 pm »
having a battery at 100% charge all time time lowers its life more than if it gets drained down then charged back up. if you're plugged in to a wall all week pull the battery out and don't use it.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #1428 on: November 14, 2010, 05:37:54 pm »
dont the pc know when the battery is at 100% and switches from charging to normal ac power?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #1429 on: November 15, 2010, 04:37:37 am »
Nope. As long as the battery's connected it uses the battery.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #1430 on: November 16, 2010, 08:04:25 am »
dont the pc know when the battery is at 100% and switches from charging to normal ac power?

The computer trickle charges to keep the battery at 100%
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #1431 on: November 16, 2010, 09:03:07 pm »
Do iPhone games work on iPod Touch as well? Or are those two completely different platforms with different games for them?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1432 on: November 16, 2010, 09:47:02 pm »
Do iPhone games work on iPod Touch as well? Or are those two completely different platforms with different games for them?

Yes, it's the same operating system and platform and app store.
There are other worlds than these

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #1433 on: November 16, 2010, 11:55:34 pm »
Of course remember that any requirements for a camera or whatever else the iPhone has that the touch doesnt won't be able to be used
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

DarkCrusade

« Reply #1434 on: November 19, 2010, 05:32:42 pm »
While we are talking about the iPhone/iTouch, what are your favourite apps?

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #1435 on: November 19, 2010, 06:21:32 pm »
My ipod's dead right now so I can't name any, but I get most of my games from freeappaday.com and freegameoftheday.com. They each have apps that have direct access to the site, so you can get 2 free apps a day straight from your ipod.
4 out of 5 times they're shitty shovelware titles, but I've gotten some great games so far.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #1436 on: December 15, 2010, 06:27:08 pm »
I like music a lot, so I always look for higher-quality downloads (in FLAC format for example). Problem is - FLACs take up a TON of disk space. I never owned a good stereo system or a pair of badass headphones (but I plan to get them at some point), so I can't tell much difference between Mp3 and lossless formats.
So my question is:

How much better is FLAC compared to 320kbs MP3? Is it really worth getting FLACs if I really like the music, or is 320kbs MP3 almost just as good? Also, which is better - 320kbs VBR or CBR?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:30:20 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline dnmr

• Camper
  • emotionally handicapped
« Reply #1437 on: December 16, 2010, 01:17:32 am »
How much better is FLAC compared to 320kbs MP3? Is it really worth getting FLACs if I really like the music, or is 320kbs MP3 almost just as good? Also, which is better - 320kbs VBR or CBR?
you shouldn't be able to notice any difference really. Best quality VBR (V0) will be theoretically worse than 320 CBR, but you might not hear a difference here either. Compare them both and see which one is enough for you ;)
If you REALLY love your flacs though, i'd just get another terabyte of space... HDDs aren't all that expensive these days.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #1438 on: December 16, 2010, 04:42:10 am »
You won't notice a difference between FLAC and MP3 until the mp3 gets down past V2 bitrates. For most purposes MP3 is just fine, I use V0 for much of my music and it's transparent enough for me.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #1439 on: December 16, 2010, 03:37:31 pm »
Thanks a lot for the info.
But then if theres no difference between FLACs and 320kbs - why do many people keep posting FLACs? Is there some other purpose FLACs are good for?

And while we're on music theme I have another question:
Is there a program (preferably one that supports Winamp) that analyzes the currently playing song, and for next song it picks one that sounds the most similar to the current song? I have way too much music and I'm getting tired of trying to create "mixes" of similar kinds of songs, so I want to somehow automate that process.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:10:32 pm by L[0ne]R »